I'm going to be playing some shows with a house amp, so I need a good pedal for my music. It's sort of djenty, and I want clarity but punch too, an example kinda like The Contortionist (Exoplanet, Intrinsic). Under $200 please.
What really makes a djent tone is how you set your EQ, it's very difficult to get a good djent tone from just a distortion pedal, there's all sorts of tweaks you need to make with your levels. An amp modeller is probably the only real way to go, a plain distortion tone won't really cut it. Plus a noise gate is key, some djent bands even use two noise gates to get that really staccato rhythmic sound. I suggest new strings too, medium gauge, not heavy, main thing is that they're new.

I suggest to get a multi-fx unit like a pod, see if you can stretch to a multi-fx pedal board, it also takes a lot of trial and error getting the tone you want with the guitar and amp you have, if you're playing live in particular and you want that type of tone you'll have to spend time crafting it.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
noise gates, as many as you can get, prefereably one after every pedal, one before the amp in and like 3 in the effects loop, it's the only true way to Djent just ask Bulb.

gate -> wah -> gate -> distortion -> gate -> input to axe-fx

loop send -> gate -> pitch shifter -> gate -> modulation -> gate -> dealy -> gate -> reverb -> gate -> loop return

speaker out -> gate -> speaker

NOISE GATES 4 life.
Djent
Djent
Djent
Djent

The D is silent!
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Quote by Tulkas

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
If you're going through tubes get a Way Huge Green Rhino, tightest and clearest overdrive money can buy. Plus the >100hz cut/boost gives such clarity to extended chords.

The guy who said the EQ is right though, you'll realise it when you buy it that it's the most fundamental aspect of that tone you're talking about. Get an MXR 12 band EQ, as it will allow you to specifically target that metallic, scratchy high mid frequency the Contortionist favours (I'm thinking of tracks like Vessel, Oscillator and Feedback Loop)

Problem here is that inevitably you will be boosting the 1200-1600hz frequency heavily, which unfortunately creates amp noise that will make everything sound nasty, no matter how clean you play. The solution is a noise gate. Obviously the ISP Decimator II is the best (no tone suck at all), the cheaper Boss NS 2 will suffice.

Also post what your rig is, it makes it easier to try and aid you on your tone quest!
Last edited by CurlOfTheBurl at Jun 11, 2014,
Quote by entropicxdisson
noise gates, as many as you can get, prefereably one after every pedal, one before the amp in and like 3 in the effects loop, it's the only true way to Djent just ask Bulb.

loop send -> gate -> pitch shifter -> gate -> modulation -> gate -> dealy -> gate -> reverb -> gate -> loop return

NOISE GATES 4 life.
Djent
Djent
Djent
Djent

The D is silent!

I believe this noise gate isn't strictly necessary, but I guess better safe than sorry
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN
Quote by entropicxdisson

NOISE GATES 4 life.
Djent
Djent
Djent
Djent

The D is silent!

You would have to be an idiot to do this in the year 2014. 1 ISP Decimator G string II does the same work your 4 noise gates does.
Tone should never be from a pedal.

+1 on saving up for a POD. An HD500 is like $300 or less used and it's basically all you need. Run it into your FX return if you got it and Djent away.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by ProgFripp74
What really makes a djent tone is how you set your EQ, it's very difficult to get a good djent tone from just a distortion pedal, there's all sorts of tweaks you need to make with your levels. An amp modeller is probably the only real way to go, a plain distortion tone won't really cut it. Plus a noise gate is key, some djent bands even use two noise gates to get that really staccato rhythmic sound. I suggest new strings too, medium gauge, not heavy, main thing is that they're new.

I suggest to get a multi-fx unit like a pod, see if you can stretch to a multi-fx pedal board, it also takes a lot of trial and error getting the tone you want with the guitar and amp you have, if you're playing live in particular and you want that type of tone you'll have to spend time crafting it.

I know I definitely need a noise gate, but I should get an eq pedal as well as an overdrive pedal? And btw I already have a pod 2.0 but I need to fix the axe input because the plastic holding the input clips in snapped. Also, I feel like changing between channels live would be a Hassel and not easy. I wish I could use my modeling amp live (vypyr 100) but I have to use house Amps a lot.
Quote by CurlOfTheBurl
If you're going through tubes get a Way Huge Green Rhino, tightest and clearest overdrive money can buy. Plus the >100hz cut/boost gives such clarity to extended chords.

The guy who said the EQ is right though, you'll realise it when you buy it that it's the most fundamental aspect of that tone you're talking about. Get an MXR 12 band EQ, as it will allow you to specifically target that metallic, scratchy high mid frequency the Contortionist favours (I'm thinking of tracks like Vessel, Oscillator and Feedback Loop)

Problem here is that inevitably you will be boosting the 1200-1600hz frequency heavily, which unfortunately creates amp noise that will make everything sound nasty, no matter how clean you play. The solution is a noise gate. Obviously the ISP Decimator II is the best (no tone suck at all), the cheaper Boss NS 2 will suffice.

Also post what your rig is, it makes it easier to try and aid you on your tone quest!

I don't think I'll be lucky enough to play on tubes all the time, so I'll leave that out for right now. I'll check out that eq pedal, and those are some of the songs I really want to emulate. I love the way their guitars sound, maybe I'll get lucky and be on an evh5150III like they recorded exoplanet on haha. And when you mean rig do you mean guitars? Because I do not have any pedals currently (except a boss distortion )
Four gates?
Welcome to latency hell.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Four gates?
Welcome to latency hell.

This is true. You want 'djent' not '__________________________djent'

HM-2 will work regardless of the rest of you gear. crank the bass. If you don't like boss, Anarchy Audio will sort you out
Quote by TheStig1214
Tone should never be from a pedal

You can get really good tones from a pedal, is it a perfect solution no but for many people it works. I'm going to say amptweaker tight metal pro. Just because its practicly an amp. Other non moddeling pedals that should work are visual sound jekyll and hyde or a mooer black secret.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Jun 12, 2014,
I think a POD is the answer here
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by MantraStrategy
I'm going to be playing some shows with a house amp, so I need a good pedal for my music. It's sort of djenty, and I want clarity but punch too, an example kinda like The Contortionist (Exoplanet, Intrinsic). Under $200 please.

I think you need to look at this pedals:

OKKO Dominator
EMMA Pisdiyauwot

Also look at the AMT LA2 (Legend Amps 2) series preamps - I have AMT Vt2 and it sounds great.
Last edited by Libertarian at Jun 12, 2014,