I'm in the process of picking up a new amp. I plan on playing a few gigs in the future. Would the Deluxe Reverb be a good amp to play shoegaze and post-punk?
Shoegaze?
Do you even need a guitar amp?
If so, any blackface would do imo.

If not, find a pair of full range speakers and get yourself some effects processors plus a power amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Do you want bright cleans or dark cleans?

For bright I'd get a Fender Deluxe Reverb (if you can afford it), or the Hot Rod Deluxe if your budget is tighter.

For dark I'd get a Peavey ValveKing, either the original or the new ValveKing II. The new ones have some really awesome features.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
You could try out any of the Roland JC series combos and see if it suits you: two of the guitar players in Slowdive (I can't remember which) used them for years. I think I remember Whirr using a couple live last time I saw them, too. I'd imagine solid-state 'sterility' would also lend itself well to certain kinds of post punk, but that's just my opinion.

Really, I think it depends on your budget and taste in clean sounds, at least for shoegaze. You could make do with anything with a half-decent clean sound in a pinch, assuming you're using dirt pedals in lieu of amp gain. Again, just my opinion.

To answer your question- yes, the Deluxe Reverb is a fine choice. However, depending on how loud your band is playing, you might want something with a little more clean headroom.
Speak up, I can't hear you over my raging tinnitus.
Twin/Deluxe Reverb

It's got the reverb and tremolo built in for all your shoegazing needs.

Add in a fuzz pedal and maybe a delay and you're set.
I'm thinking Vyper Tube, depending on what you call post punk. It should cover all the bases well though.
Or if you have more money to spend - RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 for the RM cause it'll be any amp you want. Its a frickin' Transformer.

But, outta curiosity, what is "shoegaze"? For some reason I had guessed it involves fuzz and reverb and monotony. Can someone give me a clearcut example of a shoegaze band to look up and see wtf it is?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Look up Lush on youtube. That's pretty typical.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by lucky1978
For some reason I had guessed it involves fuzz and reverb and monotony.

I think thats pretty close... maybe like post rock but without any buildups / less guitar driven melodies?

I'm thinkin maybe like m83.

Also JC120 should be adequately loud, clean and cheap
Quote by Cathbard
Look up Lush on youtube. That's pretty typical.

Definitely not for me but I've heard worse. I only listened to a couple of songs but, much like "post rock" and metal (imo), it seems like it would be fun to play, but not to listen to.

From what I heard of lush, they sound kinda fender-y. But ts may wanna get an RM, jic.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jun 12, 2014,
I get excellent shoegaze tones from my Ampeg GVT52-112, it may be worth trying.

The cleans are gorgeous, the drive channel is more of a thick fuzz than an overdrive, and the spring reverb on it is insanely good (it has huge range, from really subtle to cathedral-like).
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112