not sure if im posting in the right place but need any help/advice on fixing a amp...got a Randall RG100ES i picked up yesterday....got a couple issues with it....guy said before i went picked it up it had "white noise" in the reverb....took it apart to see what year it was ('86) and notice reverb was unplugged..plugged it back up and just put a old footwsitch in reverb plug and turned it off and noise is gone.....but theirs a serious hum to the amp...i expected some hum but with all knobs zeroed and no guitar plugged in it still hums.....i took a small amp and hooked to FX send and could hear it there so im guessing the hum is from the preamp.....i got soldering skills as far as guitar pickups and pots but never did anything with any amps....just didnt know if any you rocket scientist out there knew of anything i could to to tame the hum down....also it didnt come with footswitch....they cost more than what i got in the amp....i got a few 2 button footswitchs laying didnt know if i could find some info on hard wiring one up or something....everything els seams to work fine/normal....any help/advice would be appreciated...thanks
Last edited by teamscorpions at Jun 11, 2014,
What frequency is the hum?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Measure it. If you have an android phone, install Gstrings, it will show actual frequency as well as note.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
update...had someone come over and we did a good clean job on it and put it back together and the hum greatly reduced...thanks Cathbard for your response to help...now with the hum gone i can atlest enjoy the amp even without a footswitch but still would like to rig one up one day
You'd be amazed how many times cleaning things will cure faults.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification