After spending hours looking through old "which guitar/amp" threads, i'm still pretty clueless. Figured i had to make my own thread to get some more specific answers.
I want to upgrade both my amp and my guitar. I kind of rushed it when getting my first guitar/amp and don't think i made the best choice.

Budget? - Let's say about 1000$ total. Looking to spend a little bit more on the guitar preferably.

Favorite Artists? - Looking to play a wide variety of genres, but the most important to me is to get a decent tone for bands like: Avenged sevenfold, system of a down, blink-182, rise against, Boston, Dire straits, Eric clapton, Deep purple.

Guitar Preferences? - Nothing specific. Love the Les paul shape, not a must though.

Pickups? - Whatever sounds better

Amp preferences? - Preferably a SS combo, tubes sound like a hassle. I'm also not planning to play very loud, and a headphone jack would come in handy.

New or Used? - Don't mind buying used from a music shop. Not buying from ebay or anything similar though. I ain't got money to risk buying something that belongs in a trash can. I know it's usually fine, but i don't feel like doing that.+ It will cost like 200$ to ship a guitar over here, according to good ol' Ebay.

Location? - Norway

Current Gear? - Squire affinity starter-pack. Fender frontman 10w amp.

Hope that's enough information for you to spread your wisdom to a young padawan.
Last edited by Exodah at Jun 11, 2014,
Because you have such a wide array of musical tastes i would go with a line 6 spider iv 75. No matter what "purists" say it sounds really good and it has a headphone jack. For guitar i would go with an epiphone les paul plus top pro. It has humbucking pickups for the les paul sound and can coil tap the pickups to make more of a strat sound. Two pieces of very versatile gear. Im not 100% sure what the prices are like in norway but this combination would be well under 1000$ in the US. I apologize for the lack of knowledge on the price but i really hope this helps
if your willing to mix it up a bit get a strat and a peavy t60. its a tube but it gets amazing sound and every desirable tone.get em used from around 300. and strats are about 300-400 depending on factors though.if you really do not want a tube(i reccomend it they arn't that fragile/hard to deal with) go for a modelling amp and listen to them on utube id go with what eknumber said and try some of the spider line.
Quote by eknumber9
Because you have such a wide array of musical tastes i would go with a line 6 spider iv 75. No matter what "purists" say it sounds really good and it has a headphone jack. For guitar i would go with an epiphone les paul plus top pro. It has humbucking pickups for the les paul sound and can coil tap the pickups to make more of a strat sound. Two pieces of very versatile gear. Im not 100% sure what the prices are like in norway but this combination would be well under 1000$ in the US. I apologize for the lack of knowledge on the price but i really hope this helps

Thanks for your input. I've been looking at some of the higher end epiphones.You pretty much only get epihpones or squires new unless you're willing to spend 800+ over here.
Do you know how the plus top pro compares to the custom pro? same thing, just different look?

Yeah i do plan on playing alot of different stuff. The high gain tone is the most important to me though, probably should've mentioned that.
The line 6 spider gets alot of hate indeed. Do you have it yourself?
Quote by brett.endsley
if your willing to mix it up a bit get a strat and a peavy t60. its a tube but it gets amazing sound and every desirable tone.get em used from around 300. and strats are about 300-400 depending on factors though.if you really do not want a tube(i reccomend it they arn't that fragile/hard to deal with) go for a modelling amp and listen to them on utube id go with what eknumber said and try some of the spider line.

Woah, been reading all kinds of spider hate on the forum the last couple of days. Then all of sudden the two first people who reply both reccomend it. Mind = blown.

Anyways, i did look at some mexican strats. I would have to get a Hss then? I want to play some heavier stuff once in a while + i really love the les paul style guitars. Other than that it's a pretty good alternative. Having a guitar with "fender" written on the headstock would be quite satisfying indeed, hehe.
If you're not needing much volume (which tells me you're not gigging/jamming) then a modelling amp should suit your needs. This should leave you plenty of money for a decent guitar. Right now I'm digging the SE 245 as an LP inspired guitar with a more modern sound. Epis also come to mind.
With guitar though the question is not about the music per se, most can be made to do any music. It's about what's comfortable to you and has the features you'll want.
Long scale vs short scale
Tremolo vs hardtail
Humbuckers vs single coils
Upper fret access or No of frets may also be a factor for some
Do you know what you like in a guitar?
Moving on.....
If you're only planning on playing through headphones and/or interfacing with your PC for the forseeable future, consider a portable digital modeling device like one of these (some are discontinued, can still be easily found):

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=818

Boss Micro-BR 80
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1167

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104391875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://tascam.com/product/gt-r1/

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-Mini-PXMINI-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-H70754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvaXhaTW-B8&sns=em

Korg Pandora Stomp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX5D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104821715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Only the Tascam has decent acoustic recording capacity. All DO have features like tuners, metronomes, drum synthesizers, and digital amp & pedal modeling.

So with decent headphones, you can rock out like you were playing Texas Stadium. And yes, they are all about the size of an old Walkman.

The ones I own: the Tascam has the external mics, a phrase trainer (loop & slow down stuff for practicing), and takes SD cards. Both it and the PX5 can connect directly to your computer via a USB port. It is less powerful than the PX5, but, oddly, the PX5 does not have a belt/strap hook.

The ones I don't own: The Line6 PocketPOD is, I believe, the most popular device like this; the Boss might be the most powerful (and priciest); the Pandora Mini is the smallest (its about the size of a stack of business cards), cheapest, and least powerful.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You might want to look for a G&L ASAT deluxe Tribute. 2 HBs, made in Indonesia with American parts. Very good guitars for under €500.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by KenG
If you're not needing much volume (which tells me you're not gigging/jamming) then a modelling amp should suit your needs. This should leave you plenty of money for a decent guitar. Right now I'm digging the SE 245 as an LP inspired guitar with a more modern sound. Epis also come to mind.
With guitar though the question is not about the music per se, most can be made to do any music. It's about what's comfortable to you and has the features you'll want.
Long scale vs short scale
Tremolo vs hardtail
Humbuckers vs single coils
Upper fret access or No of frets may also be a factor for some
Do you know what you like in a guitar?

Humbuckers for sure. That's one of the main reasons i feel like buying a new guitar already. Other than that i'm not really sure. I don't think i'll need a tremolo for most of the stuff i want to play.