I was currently thinking of buying a wah pedal or a distortion pedal since many songs I try to learn have transitions from clean to distortion; I also believe it will help me in playing lead parts.

Do you think that these pedals are suitable for a lead guitarist with 3 years of playing experience? If not, what do you suggest?
I was gigging after 1 year of playing. I don't know how good you are, after three years I was playing lead guitar in a working band.

What amp do you have?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you're using a stack, specifically anything with tubes, get a tube screamer. Those things make any blues, rock, or metal tone come alive.
I would highly recommend a multifx pedal. Mfx doesn't sound as good to my ears as individual pedals, but its a great introduction to pedals in general. You can use a mfx for awhile and find out what you like and use the most. Then you'll have a much firmer grasp on what specific type of pedal you're looking for. G.A.S. will occur naturally.
Multifx usually come with some sort amp modeling which makes practicing through headphones more enjoyable. That makes a mfx useful even if you end up with an acre of pedal board.

If you're poor like me, the newer Zoom mfx series are excellent for the price.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I don't really like multifx. They are usually bad quality (unless you drop enough money (don't throw rocks at me here )). But I agree it's a good way to start exploring. Then you'll know specifically what kind of effects you're looking for.

You might as well just go into a music shop, try some pedals, or look at youtube videos trying to figure out what you need and get one pedal at a time, slowly building your pedalboard/rack.
Quote by Taz9
I don't really like multifx. They are usually bad quality (unless you drop enough money (don't throw rocks at me here )). But I agree it's a good way to start exploring. Then you'll know specifically what kind of effects you're looking for.

You might as well just go into a music shop, try some pedals, or look at youtube videos trying to figure out what you need and get one pedal at a time, slowly building your pedalboard/rack.

Well, I'm too lazy to find a rock but I do agree for the most part. If you need to use headphones, a multifx*is ideal. If you just wanna try something new, a mfx is ideal. If you like using certain fx every once in a while, a mfx is ideal. But, personally, I prefer separate pedals cause they sound better and I damn well know what I want. Just the fact ts had to ask the question makes me wanna recommend a mfx though, its one of the main pro's of mfx vs individual pedals.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm guessing your amp doesn't have a footswitch option for clean/od channels huh? Unless its a fender or an ampeg you likely need a new amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
rjjmregalado,
If you don't know what effect you need, I think the cheap multi fx processor is a good solution. For example ZOOM G3X. It will give you the understanding about the pedals and amp that suit you.
Quote by Cathbard
I was gigging after 1 year of playing. I don't know how good you are, after three years I was playing lead guitar in a working band.

What amp do you have?

Well, 1 year of electric and 2 years of acoustic, but yes I guess I'm just slow XD

I have a Washburn WA15G amp that came free with the guitar.

@above
Thanks, I'll try looking for one at local music stores
OK. Get yourself a Bad Monkey. They're very cheap but quite good quality. They're basically a tubescreamer with a bass knob. Don't spend big money on a pedal, put your money into an amp fund and save for something better. A Bad Monkey will do. I've gigged with one many times, good pedal.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by rjjmregalado
I was currently thinking of buying a wah pedal or a distortion pedal since many songs I try to learn have transitions from clean to distortion; I also believe it will help me in playing lead parts.

Do you think that these pedals are suitable for a lead guitarist with 3 years of playing experience? If not, what do you suggest?

I was lucky enough to have a friend loan me their mfx pedal for a few month before I started making my pedal purchases. If it's possible, try to do the same. Just for exploring purposes. Then you can put your money into an amp/whatever you want after toying with the mfx.

It may not be doable, but you never know what your friends could toss your way!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify