A little background: I'm a casual player who started playing in 1994 but haven't done much over the past 5 years. I want to get back into it. My amp doesn't seem to work anymore. Not worth fixing, so I went and bought this Fender "Frontman 25R" for $100 at Guitar Center.

I've also been playing a handful of guitars. My observations are I REALLY like the feel of the fatter neck/shorter scale of the Fender Jaguar, but the sound quite frankly sucks. It sounds like a muffled fuzz sound on the Frontman 25R amp. I know I'm not dealing with the best amp here but hoping for at least a decent sound. Meanwhile, the Fender Stratocaster Made in Mexico sounds a lot better, but not quite ideal. I also find it more difficult to play.

I went down to the guitar shop and found the Fender Jaguar the easiest to play followed by a 1957 style neck Gibson Les Paul in a close second.

What can be done to improve the sound of the Fender Jaguar? It's actually the 50th Anniversary edition and it has tons of switches and dials on it, they don't seem to do much though.

I'm looking for a sound similar to the rhythm guitar in "Black Betty" by Ram Jam, or "Manic Depression" by Jimi Hendrix. Or at least something close....

I took a picture of the pickups in the Jaguar (it has 2) and the pickups in the Stratocaster, which has 3. Is there an easy way to change out the pickups in the Jaguar or should I go with the Les Paul?

I'm pretty disappointed with the sound of the Jaguar 50th Anniversary but really like the way it plays.
Attachments:
photo3.JPG
photo.JPG
What you need is a proper Fender Amp. A Frontman is not an upgrade from any amp. Not to piss in your cheerios, but take that amp back to the store if you can. Then do a "what amp?" thread with budget, location, what you wanna do, etc. A 25w frontman should be no more than $40-50.

Edit: Also, if its one of those jaguars that has the Fender mp90s, those pups are horrible. You'd be stunned how much of a difference a good pup will make over those mp90farts. Just my opinion but Fender really lacks in the pup dept.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jun 12, 2014,
Quote by lucky1978
What you need is a proper Fender Amp. A Frontman is not an upgrade from any amp. Not to piss in your cheerios, but take that amp back to the store if you can. Then do a "what amp?" thread with budget, location, what you wanna do, etc. A 25w frontman should be no more than $40-50.

I agree, a good amp will make a huge difference in improving your tone.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Kindly take the Frontman amp back to the store and trade it for a Fender Super Champ X2 plus some cash. Dial in voice #8, turn up and wail. Hello Jimi!

I don't think the guitar is the problem and I have gotten pretty good tone on a reissue Jag. I have never met anyone who got decent OD tones on a Frontman. Ever.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If you're going to pick a guitar based on sound, at least audition it through some really good amps before you take it home to that Frontman. Just don't be contemplating a pickup change to improve the sound after you get it home <G>.