Hi friends!
Need some help

I have 5-watt Class A head (1x12AX7/1x6l6) - champ based, made by my friend. The overdrive sound will be formed by two pedals: ProCo Rat 2 and AMT Vt2 (hi-gain preamp). I play a different kind of music: from blues/jazz to heavy metal. The cab will be 1x12 open back, and I need to choose the speaker among the next available:

- Celestion G12M Greenback (25W)
- Jensen C12 K2 (100W)
- Eminence Legend V12 (120W)
- Celestion Seventy 80 (80W)
- Celestion Vintage 30 (60W)

It will be used mostly at home on the low volume.
In the future I planning to buy a head, most likely it will be Orange OR15/Egnater Tweaker 15/Laney IRT-Studio, or something like that — not more than 25 watts
Last edited by Libertarian at Jun 12, 2014,
Celestion V30 or the Eminence V12 id probs go for.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
G12H30 Heritage. If you think you might want to go hi gain metal, close the back for that tight bottom.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 12, 2014,
Champs sound great through greenbacks. Good for Sabbath like metal, not so much for modern Cookie Monster shit. Magnificent for blues.

Of the ones you listed, delete the seventy 80. They are the worst thing Celestion has ever made.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I would vote for the greenback as well
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I agree with cath- the 70/80 isn't as good as the others.

What type of tone do you want? Do you want to accentuate the fendery-ness of your amp, or do you want to make it more suitable for other stuff as well? Are those the only speaker options you have? (sounds like it but just to make sure... if i had a free choice i'd probably consider other options)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
What type of tone do you want? Do you want to accentuate the fendery-ness of your amp, or do you want to make it more suitable for other stuff as well? Are those the only speaker options you have? (sounds like it but just to make sure... if i had a free choice i'd probably consider other options)

+1

if you want a more classic rock tone then go for a G12M-25

if you want a more old school tone that still does classic rock well then go for the jenson.

i head the eminence V12 is a good all around speaker, but so is the Texas Heat and i have actually heard a bit more praise for the texas heat.

if you want a more modern tone, go for the V30. if you like/listen to modern music then there is a good chance that is the speaker they are using.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I was actually thinking the texas heat would be a good call to still sound fairly fendery, but be capable of heavier stuff as well.

the v12 sort of sounds like a mellower v30 to my ears.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the answers.
Suddenly I found the used all-tube combo BMT Minilux III (made in Ukraine) powered by Eminence Legend V12 for $220, the difference in price between the new cab with the same speaker is very small, so, I decided to buy it.
Thank you again.
nice

have you got it yet? let us know what it's like when you do
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice

have you got it yet? let us know what it's like when you do

Not yet. Ok, I'll try to make some samples and review. I hope you will be able to read it because my English is not perfect
Last edited by Libertarian at Jun 16, 2014,
My personal favorites are:

Well-broken-in Vintage30
Eminence Texas Heat
Eminence Tonker

Avatar will sell you a Hellatone 60, which is a broken-in Vintage30 (they have a method) with a brand sticker on the back. Same price or less than a standard V30.
Quote by dspellman
My personal favorites are:

Well-broken-in Vintage30
Eminence Texas Heat
Eminence Tonker

Avatar will sell you a Hellatone 60, which is a broken-in Vintage30 (they have a method) with a brand sticker on the back. Same price or less than a standard V30.

Nice, but unfortunately the shipment to Russia will be too expensive
I can buy the cab with V30 here for $200, but I found an interesting used all-tube combo with Eminence V12 for $220... Even if it sounds not good, I will be able to use it like a cabinet or sell it. I think I need to try it. Thank you for info about the Hellatone 60, maybe I will have a chance to test it in the future.
Make a headshell for the new combo and turn it into a head. Stick the V12's into their own cab. Then you can mix and match.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification