I sanded the finish off of the top of my 2007 MIM HSS strat today and discovered that the arm cut has a different color wood than the rest of the body. Is this normal? Is this something that I did sanding it? When the wood is damp, it is just slightly lighter than the pickguard.

Also, I think I might stain the arm cut to the exact color of the pickguard and leave the rest the light color, however, I'm not set on that. Any suggestions?
Attachments:
20140612_111431.jpg
20140612_111421.jpg
20140612_111415.jpg
might just be that at the angle the grain looks different?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The difference in the wood is because fender uses multi piece bodies and then covers the back and top with a thin veneer, so that when they paint them they get a smooth surface and after time you don't see the glue joint lines under the finish. The veneer is applied before the body contours are cut so the veneer gets cut out of the arm and belly, etc.
I guess if I keep sanding I would get to where all the wood is darker like the contour, correct?
Quote by Fastmerc
The difference in the wood is because fender uses multi piece bodies and then covers the back and top with a thin veneer, so that when they paint them they get a smooth surface and after time you don't see the glue joint lines under the finish. The veneer is applied before the body contours are cut so the veneer gets cut out of the arm and belly, etc.

I was thinking that might be a possibility, too. I didn't see any joins in the wood and I know the MIMs use a fair number of pieces. Good call.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CaParker96
I guess if I keep sanding I would get to where all the wood is darker like the contour, correct?

Yes you could sand off the veneer entirely, but you are likely to see 3,4,5 glue lines depending on how many pieces they used....they may match well and look great they may not.

One thing you could do is re-veneer the top, its not that hard and your pretty much at the point you could do it now as far as sanding goes. Then the new veneer would bend over the arm contour. I have put new veneer on about 5 or 6 guitars now.
I actually just finished sanding through the veneer. It all matches pretty well. It's all just slightly darker than the arm contour on the above pictures. Thanks for your help!