Howdy,

I'm happy twiddling my way through the pentatonic but am looking to build up a bit more knowledge. One of my favourite playing styles in Rory Gallagher.

So trying to play similar things to him with the minor pentatonic seems to be missing bits.
I'm guessing that most of his stuff is based on the blues scale.

Would I be correct in thinking that to get to the blues from the minor pentatonic I just need to add a diminished 5th. The. Get twiddling away.

It's the long running licks rom my Gallagher that really inspire me so that's the type of thing that I'm looking to try and get down.

Cheers
I'm not that well up on rory gallagher (this is going well )

A lot of the blues guys use the flat/diminished fifth, yeah, or the blues scale as you called it.

A lot of the blues guys also sort of mess with major/minor tonality, as well. As such they bend the minor 3rd slightly sharp a lot of the time so it's halfway to the major third. They also often use the straight major third as well, often combined with the minor third (with the minor as a short passing tone).

they often use the major 6th as well, again, combine that with the minor pentatonic/blues scale and you're sort of messing between major and minor (technical term ).

the major 7th is also used too at times, sometimes as a passing tone.

basically the better blues guys use virtually all the 12 chromatic notes, but you can't just use them at random either or it'll sound weird.

so yeah as i said, I'm not that well up on rory gallagher but if the minor pentatonic sounds a bit "sparse", for want of a better word, doing those things I said might help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The best thing you can do if you want to get in to his style more is actually study his playing directly; at the minute you're theorising based on incomplete information so there really is no reason not to actually just get transcriptions of his solos and really analyse those.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Dave thanks for that, it's quite theory based, so I will take a while to fully appreciate all the info.
But it's just the type of thing I'm looking for to back up the playing.

Zap hod thanks also,

I think what I will do is look at some tab and apply what Dave said to it and "decompose" his style in a quietest to find what I'm looking for.

An analytical approach.

Cheers.
Last edited by Monkey_Toes at Jun 13, 2014,
yeah getting tabs to the solos would probably be a lot easier than what I said. Plus I don't do that much theory, the MT forum is where the real theory ninjas hang out. I sort of use just enough theory to make my life a bit easier
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok so I can't find the licks I'm looking for,

However it's sort of along the lines of the section I this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p1jCrYC0yQ0">https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p1jCrYC0yQ0

Opening solo from about 10s onwards, where it starts on 9th of g then to 10th then 11th.
It the. Continues on for about 20/30s.

So I've looked in moon hold tab and and can't find what I want, so can someone let me know what the opening solo is based around?

It seems to have more notes than pentatonic, but note sure if it's blues?

Cheers.
(you need to take the "m." out of your link there or it doesn't work)

that song for the first 30 seconds or so you listed is shadow play

I haven't analysed it but it sounds (to my ears) like minor (natural minor i guess), though whether he actually plays the flat/minor 6th I dunno (as I said, I haven't looked too closely). I can hear the 2nd in there, at least, which is an additional note over the minor pentatonic.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?