Hey all!

I need help/advice.

I'm a guitarist. I constantly try to write music (we'll get to that). I have my softer acoustic side and I love playing coffee shop shows etc.

Alternatively, I have my heavy side. If I'm not playing acoustic, I'm trying to go heavy as hell (think Norma Jean and August Burns Red).

My problem is this....I've simply hit a musical rut: writers block. No matter what I do, I just cant get out of it. I find myself trying to write riffs, but I somehow jst keep playing basically the same thing. It's so frustrating.

I have been listening to band after band trying to draw influences, everything from Every Time I Die to Pink Floyd to TOOL to Born of Osiris to The Doors. But I'm just at this stand-still and I dont know how to get out of it.

Like I said, it is very frustrating. I just cant overcome this 'writers block' I've had for going on 6 months. I'm waiting for it to come naturally but its just becoming disheartening to the point where I'm just bumming myself out not being able to come up with something catchy I love playing.

I've tried different tunings (I usually go Drop C# because its 'just' low enough and its within my vocal range (whether screaming or otherwise)).

What do you guys recommend? What do you do when you find yourself in a tough spot like I am in?

Any help/advice/insight would be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance

\m/

- E
Have you tried playing genres you normally don't play? Like, if you don't typically play blues, try some blues.
For me works sometimes this:

-Set up your recording system (DAW on PC in my case) to a tone you like on your guitar and a mic to sing any melodies above (you can hummm or sing any crap)
-Turn off the lights so you go dark (not always necesary)
-click record.
Sing/play whatever comes to your mind for 2-3 hours. In this time you are not "obligated" to create a new song. You can cover famous songs you already now, play your old songs, etc, and of course try to improvise melodies etc.

If you feel there is a riff that you like, keep playing it, but do not stop the recording to focus on that one. Look how to go to another place after it. You are recording everything, so you can always go back to check what you liked....

This is my "type" of braindstorming melodies...

Also is kinda my "type" for braindstorming lyrics with melodies that i had already made...

Hope it helps

Edit: Also go to hear actual real music playing by non famous bands at local clubs, etc. I always have new ideas and an urge to create new songs after that (I think basically because wanting to get on the stage as those groups)
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Last edited by tiky at Jun 13, 2014,
Check out some of the bands that influenced your favorite bands... Maynard has said that King Crimson has influenced Tool for example. Perhaps that will help.
Spend some time figuring out music you love by ear. That usually jolts me loose.
Quote by edubz09
Hey all!

I need help/advice.

I'm a guitarist. I constantly try to write music (we'll get to that). I have my softer acoustic side and I love playing coffee shop shows etc.

Alternatively, I have my heavy side. If I'm not playing acoustic, I'm trying to go heavy as hell (think Norma Jean and August Burns Red).

My problem is this....I've simply hit a musical rut: writers block. No matter what I do, I just cant get out of it. I find myself trying to write riffs, but I somehow jst keep playing basically the same thing. It's so frustrating.

I have been listening to band after band trying to draw influences, everything from Every Time I Die to Pink Floyd to TOOL to Born of Osiris to The Doors. But I'm just at this stand-still and I dont know how to get out of it.

Like I said, it is very frustrating. I just cant overcome this 'writers block' I've had for going on 6 months. I'm waiting for it to come naturally but its just becoming disheartening to the point where I'm just bumming myself out not being able to come up with something catchy I love playing.

I've tried different tunings (I usually go Drop C# because its 'just' low enough and its within my vocal range (whether screaming or otherwise)).

What do you guys recommend? What do you do when you find yourself in a tough spot like I am in?

Any help/advice/insight would be much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance

\m/

- E

You need to step away from the guitar. I bought "Maschine" and use that to compose in a completely different manner. It makes you think differently since you're not relying on usual sounds or patterns from guitar playing - you naturally end up trying very different notes and chords. I can load a piano, rhodes, synth, standup bass, strings, strange noises etc. and just tap away until something sticks.

You can always adapt whatever you've composed to guitar for performing. It's great and I highly recommend that if you're really in a rut. Otherwise any other instrument will do - even a ukulele forces you to play/think differently.