I'm getting back into playing guitar and noticed my old amp is shot. I bought a fender frontman and don't like it. I noticed even when I can make the lower notes sound decent the higher notes sound horrible. I am a casual player who plays for the fun of it at home. An example of the sound is like would be iommis sound on "the wizard". That's a great sound. What would be a good amp to get that sound without spending over $500? I'm a fan of the old les Paul/Marshall amp combo sound so dominant back in the sixties and seventies.
If you were ok with the frontman, you'd be thrilled with an Egnater Rebel. Its a versatile amp but excels at gainy classic rock tones.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Jet City?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Jet City?
+1

Or:
Classic 30
JCM2000 DSL401 (post 2003)

Or I suppose you could also go Pod HD500 and a powered wedge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Do you guys have laney irt's for that money over the pond?

But anything suggested up to this point would do the job just fine.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Check out blackstar amps. The have a knob that changes the sound to m
Check out blackstar amps. The have a knob that changes the sound to mock different brands of amps. You can get a 5watt tube driven amp for under $500
woulsnt really say jet city for classic. i would say the egnater line is very well suited. rebel is great, but the tweaker series is more affordable and is VERY classic or just rockish in general
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
The lower gain JCA's would be fine. JCA50C is it? Somebody's sure to jump in with the which JCA is which. I can't keep track. The Lucky 13 one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have a Peavey Windsor studio and it would be perfect and way under your budget.

It is based on a Marshall Plexi and has the old school OD sound, but it has a master volume which can get you those tones at lower volumes. It is a tube amp that can take any standard octal tubes from the 5881/6l6 family and the El34 family.

I paid $150 for mine used, spent another $75 on an Eminence GB128 (greenback clone) and I have a nice classic Marshall-ish amp. They are almost always <$200 used

It is the JCA5212 combo Cath
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah, that one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
An Orange Tiny Terror and a 112 cab can pull off gnarly Sabbeth tones. A Marshall DSL 40c or Blackstar HT40 are good options as well.
Quote by cheesefries
An Orange Tiny Terror and a 112 cab can pull off gnarly Sabbeth tones.

I have not used the other amps mentioned but the Tiny Terror is a bullseye for heavy 70s British tone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I have a Carvin Belair (2x12, well-broken-in V30's, Hasserl Stage II mods) that does Fenderish cleans on the clean channel and vintage Marshall (with more gain available than any vintage Marshal ever had) on the dirty channel. Google the mods; the .pdf files are free and your tech can easily perform them.

But the Egnater suggestions are excellent. This guy is doing a whole series of guitar tutorials, playing some very tight stuff on an old '70's LP and an ordinary Egnater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OruRtsEO1d4
Awesome! The sound of that video just blows away anything I can do and I'm glad to hear it can be done without spending thousands of dollars. Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to actually do some reasearch rather than just buying the cheapest amp I could find.

I am able to return this amp in the 30 day grace period.
Quote by metriccar
Awesome! The sound of that video just blows away anything I can do and I'm glad to hear it can be done without spending thousands of dollars. Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to actually do some reasearch rather than just buying the cheapest amp I could find.

I am able to return this amp in the 30 day grace period.

Just be aware in that youtube video the guy obviously has 2 guitar tracks going at the same time. It makes any amp sound fatter/lively/better on a recording.

Still a good amp. Just be aware it won't sound like "that" without a bit of computer help.

It sounds hard panned to both sides so for a more accurate representation of the amp just listen to either one of your speakers one at a time to isolate each guitar track.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 13, 2014,
Quote by dspellman

But the Egnater suggestions are excellent. This guy is doing a whole series of guitar tutorials, playing some very tight stuff on an old '70's LP and an ordinary Egnater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OruRtsEO1d4

nice playing in that vid, sounds really good

to my ears rock n roll hoochie koo sounds like a fuzz- so the amp (as long as it's decent, and tube) mightn't be that important if that's the type of tone you're trying to hit.

i'm probably wrong though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?