Page 1 of 2
yeah, i thought most of the world was supposed to have died off by now, with the remaining population exhibiting awesome mutant superpowers

i feel duped
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
yeah, i thought most of the world was supposed to have died off by now, with the remaining population exhibiting awesome mutant superpowers

i feel duped

It could be worse. Fukushima could have made the anti-nuclear power lobby even more rabid in countries that are far less likely to suffer large earthquakes and tsunami.

Oh wait.
Quote by Ninja Vampirate

i feel duped

Oddly enough, that also failed to happen when America dropped nuclear bombs on Japan.
This Video Is Shocking The Entire World. Everyone Needs To See This!

Go away with your stupid loser fucking click bait...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
All I know is that my fave bar doesn't sell Asahi Super Dry anymore since no one's buying it because of radiation
cat
im only 3 years old, how should i know?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by SlackerBabbath
It was only 3 years ago, of course [Jackal and I] don't remember it.

/oldtimerswithalzheimers
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by guitarxo
All I know is that my fave bar doesn't sell Asahi Super Dry anymore since no one's buying it because of radiation

But it's already been proven that radiated beer is safe to drink...
Last edited by archangels at Jun 13, 2014,
Quote by guitarxo

Lol really? I'd be willing to try radiated Asahi. They should give out free geiger counters with every carton, that'll drive up sales again for sure.
didn't watch the vid but that whole thing is never going to get fixed and is a lot bigger problem than anyone knows. yeah, 1 banana, but radiation is some bad shit and I was planning to move to SE asia soon, seriously considering not
Fukushima was just a half assed Tjernobyl.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
The area surrounding the power plant is really the only area that is going to have any significant issues. Just because the radiation levels are detectable in the ocean doesn't mean they are any where near detrimental levels. He is some cool math.

1 cubic kilometer = 2.64172052 × 10^11 US gallons
~714 million cubic kilometers of water in the Pacific
1.886 x 10^20 gallons of water
7.139 x 10^20 Liters of water

Now there are varying sources for how much water is leaking/becoming contaminated. for the sake of this demonstration I will be using a contamination of ground water rate of 300 tons per day.

300 tons of water = 79,000 gallons per day
3 years have passed at 1095 days
Estimated contamination 8.66 x 10^7 gallons in 3 years

Now since the ocean currents don't evenly distribute the radioactive material lets cut the oceans volume by a factor of.... I don't know... 1000? So that gives us 1.886 x 10^17 gallons of water intentionally contaminated.

Now for the fun part, what is the concentration of this radioactive water in the whole of the ocean, which we have just reduced the volume by a factor of 1000 mind you.

(8.66 x 10^7) / (1.886 x 10^17) = 4.5917 x 10^-10 gallons of radioactive water per gallon of ocean water. That converts to 3.824 x 10^-9 lbs of radioactive water per gallon of ocean water.

http://www.epa.gov/rpdweb00/tenorm/drinking-water.html

That link is the EPA guidelines for maximum amount of radiation detectable in water for safe consumption. So we are going to do something crazy. We are going to convert the full radioactive water mass to uranium and see what the concentration is.

We now have 3.824 x 10^-9 lbs of uranium/gal of water.
This is equal to 1.735 x 10^-6 g/gal.
Convert gal to L and we get 4.583 x 10-7 g/L
One more simple conversion of g to micrograms gives us our number:

0.4583ug of Uranium/L of water

That number is 1.52% of the maximum allowable level for drinking water.

Now I have made many, many assumptions in my calculations, but the point still stands, the radiation in the water being dispersed in the pacific ocean is minimal. The only area that is going to be affect by the radiation is the area directly surrounding the reactor and a small area of ocean where the radioactive material has not gotten caught up in the ocean currents and become dispersed.

I welcome any questions to my math, methods, and would appreicate any other takes on this matter.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by Neo Evil11

Fukushima put out far more radioactive materiel than Chernobyl. the biggest difference being the release from Fukushima was as controlled as possible where Chernobyl exploded and spewed the material in to the atmosphere. You are comparing a meltdown to what was essentially a dirty bomb explosion.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by DamienEx1021
Fukushima put out far more radioactive materiel than Chernobyl. the biggest difference being the release from Fukushima was as controlled as possible where Chernobyl exploded and spewed the material in to the atmosphere. You are comparing a meltdown to what was essentially a dirty bomb explosion.

You are telling me Fukushima is worse than Chernobyl?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
You are telling me Fukushima is worse than Chernobyl?

Relative to levels of radioactive material released, yes.
Relative to the environmental and long term damage to the surrounding area, no.

Really depends on which aspect you want to focus on

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by DamienEx1021
Relative to levels of radioactive material released, yes.
Relative to the environmental and long term damage to the surrounding area, no.

Really depends on which aspect you want to focus on

How exactly did the Japanese control the release of radioactive material from Fukushima?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
How exactly did the Japanese control the release of radioactive material from Fukushima?

We unlike the Russians, the Japanese actually used their control rods, kept back up generators running, used pumps to pump in sea water to cool the reactors, and stopped the meltdown from being much worse than it could have been. Instead of ending up with an explosion releasing the material all over the atmosphere, the Japanese used controlled venting of the radioactive steam so they would not create an explosion due to pressure build up. Minimal atmospheric contamination. There wasn't much any one could do with the crack in the side of the containment shell which is why Fukushima has been able to consistently release radioactive material.

Chernobyl happened all at once and released enough material to devastate the area and heavily pollute the atmosphere. Very high concentration all at once as opposed to a steady consistent dose like is happening in Japan.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

hey guys, it's

FUKUSHIMA FRIDAY!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by DamienEx1021
We unlike the Russians, the Japanese actually used their control rods, kept back up generators running, used pumps to pump in sea water to cool the reactors, and stopped the meltdown from being much worse than it could have been. Instead of ending up with an explosion releasing the material all over the atmosphere, the Japanese used controlled venting of the radioactive steam so they would not create an explosion due to pressure build up. Minimal atmospheric contamination. There wasn't much any one could do with the crack in the side of the containment shell which is why Fukushima has been able to consistently release radioactive material.

Chernobyl happened all at once and released enough material to devastate the area and heavily pollute the atmosphere. Very high concentration all at once as opposed to a steady consistent dose like is happening in Japan.

But then what is wrong with me saying Fukushima is a half assed Chernobyl?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
No I don't watch anime.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Neo Evil11
But then what is wrong with me saying Fukushima is a half assed Chernobyl?

Because it really isn't a half asses Chernobyl. It wasn't even the same thing. Chernobyl was an explosion as a result of super pressurized steam in the core, Fukushima was a meltdown that occurred due to power failure.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by archangels
But it's already been proven that radiated beer is safe to drink...

Well then go prove it to the people who refuse to buy it

Quote by macaroni
Lol really? I'd be willing to try radiated Asahi. They should give out free geiger counters with every carton, that'll drive up sales again for sure.

Haha I'd love to see that. I mean I still drink it anyway because it's now the 3rd cheapest beer I can buy from the store, but if I drink it in front of certain people I'm sure to get lectured on why all Japanese imports are bad for the environment or something and I don't really wanna bother with that
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jun 13, 2014,
Quote by DamienEx1021
Because it really isn't a half asses Chernobyl. It wasn't even the same thing. Chernobyl was an explosion as a result of super pressurized steam in the core, Fukushima was a meltdown that occurred due to power failure.

IT IS A ****ING JOKE. CHERNOBYL WAS MUCH WORSE AND THEY ARE BOTH NUCLEAR DISASTERS.

Jesus christ you are thick. That's why you don't get invited to parties a lot.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
IT IS A ****ING JOKE. CHERNOBYL WAS MUCH WORSE AND THEY ARE BOTH NUCLEAR DISASTERS.

Jesus christ you are thick. That's why you don't get invited to parties a lot.

Shows just how little you understand about nuclear energy and how each incident affects the world.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by guitarxo
Well then go prove it to the people who refuse to buy it

If I have to explain to someone why they should drink beer, they're not worth explaining anything to.

Quote by Neo Evil11
That's why you don't get invited to parties a lot.

Says the dude using caps lock in his post.
Quote by Neo Evil11

Yea, it's life is not even half as interesting as Chernobyl's.

ololololol

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by DamienEx1021
Shows just how little you understand about nuclear energy and how each incident affects the world.

Dear fucking hell, Damien! Who broke your funny bone?!...

OT:
Meh, that video didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
I was in Hawai'i when that damned earthquake went off... The air raid sirens were blaring every hour on the hours until the thing was expected to hit.

****ing scary as shit.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dear fucking hell, Damien! Who broke your funny bone?!...

Nuclear power and nuclear weapons are kind of a specialty of mine. Since most people run and hide at the first mention of radiation, I take it upon myself to educated people and try to shed light on how safe nuclear energy really is.

When it comes to nukes, my funny bone is broken

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by DamienEx1021
Nuclear power and nuclear weapons are kind of a specialty of mine. Since most people run and hide at the first mention of radiation, I take it upon myself to educated people and try to shed light on how safe nuclear energy really is.

When it comes to nukes, my funny bone is broken

Fukushima is not even half the disaster Chernobyl is. Come at me.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Fukushima is not even half the disaster Chernobyl is. Come at me.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by DamienEx1021

That's what a real disaster looks like.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
That's what a real disaster looks like.

No, it isn't.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by DamienEx1021

No, it isn't.

You are such a *******.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 2