Okay, I know some of you grizzled veterans probably aren't going to be too excited about this, but I just got this rig from Guitar Center, got what I consider to be a pretty good deal, and thought I'd show it off.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"

Thanks to a tip from a user here on UG, I managed to get a "gently pre-owned" G-400 for under $200. It's in great physical shape, with only one minor surface ding on the face and some typical pick scratches on the guard. The neck, while it shows some signs of use, has not worn through the finish.

There's no slop in the switch or knobs, and they all operate quite smoothly. There's some very minor crackle in both tone pots, so I'll likely have to get some component cleaner and spritz some in to clean the contacts, but that's a fairly easy fix even for a newb like me.

The headstock is near pristine, and I couldn't detect any string scratches. The Grover tuners are smooth and positive, and hold tune pretty well (so far, anyway.) There's some very minor surface scratching on the truss rod plate, but you have to hold it in the right light to even see them. There's some light flaking/wear on the nut, but nothing too worrisome.

For my first electric I think I did okay, and sure could have done a hell of a lot worse.

PEAVEY VYPYR 75 AMP

While I was at it, I picked up a good used Peavey Vypyr 75. It's in outstanding shape, the grill is pristine, the panel very clean and scratch-free, and the cabinet has one one "road ding" on the top. The sound is outstanding, I went from ultra-clean to extra-crunchy and while I'm not at the liberty of cranking it to 13 (I need my apartment), it performed beyond my expectations at both extremes. This came in under a buck-fifty, so again I think I did pretty good here, value-wise.

So for a piecemeal starter set, how do you think I did?

I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
That is a solid first rig, congrats. Way better than my first amp for sure, but just about anything now days kills the stuff we had in the 80-early 90's as starters

www.justinguitar.com has some decent free lessons that may be able to help you out.

You may want to look for the peavey Sanpera I or II foot pedal so you can access all the amps functions on the fly. it also give you a looper, wah and volume
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Good stuff. I actually like the Goth series Epi's. Im actually tempted to track down a Goth LP for something different. Whats that amp like?
very nice enjoy.

just noticed the monty python joke in your sig . also noticed that you are in Syracuse I'm about 30 miles south of rochester
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jun 13, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
That is a solid first rig, congrats. Way better than my first amp for sure, but just about anything now days kills the stuff we had in the 80-early 90's as starters

www.justinguitar.com has some decent free lessons that may be able to help you out.

You may want to look for the peavey Sanpera I or II foot pedal so you can access all the amps functions on the fly. it also give you a looper, wah and volume

Already on it, my man. Got my sights set on a II, can get the black ones now new for $220-ish, so I'm sure I can find a used one for less.

Quote by dazza027
Good stuff. I actually like the Goth series Epi's. Im actually tempted to track down a Goth LP for something different. Whats that amp like?

The amp is pretty outstanding. Plenty of features to keep a new guy busy, and when placed in just the right position it actually blots out the sun.

Quote by monwobobbo
very nice enjoy.

just noticed the monty python joke in your sig . also noticed that you are in Syracuse I'm about 30 miles south of rochester

Was wondering how long before someone caught that. For being the first, you win...a shrubery. Sounds like we have Central- and Western New York well represented.

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Dude. That is excellent starter rig, much better than a lot of other guys start with. Your amp will work well for band practice too if you ever get to that stuff. Unless you start tone chasing in your bedroom (like me unfortunately. its a never ending quest I tell you) your current rig will scale up well.

Only thing you will need is another guitar. And another... and another...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Great first rig.I would of loved that setup when I first started,the vypyr 75 is one heck of an amp,I don't know why thy discontinued them for the newer crappy ones.
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's better than the Peavey Rage I started with. Can it model a cranked Rage 158?

And with that SG you're sure to win the heart of any Twilight watching girl you desire
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
It's better than the Peavey Rage I started with. Can it model a cranked Rage 158?

And with that SG you're sure to win the heart of any Twilight watching girl you desire

I'd be willing to bet it could come pretty close to getting that throaty growl of the Rage with a little bit of experimentation.

As far as the Twilight girls...remind me to keep a few extra wooden stakes handy, just in case.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Looks like a pretty solid rig. I was looking at trying to pick up a used Goth SG too, but alas someone got to it before I could...

Happy new Gear Day!!
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
It wasn't the one posted on the GC website earlier this week, was it? If so...I have no idea who might have bought that one.

#whistle_innocently

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Oh, I did have a serious question here too. According to Epiphone's website for this guitar, it says that it now features a KillPot™. I've seen them in use on other guitars, so I know what they are. However, there doesn't appear to be any travel on any of the pots.

Was there a date when they started using the KillPots on the G-400's? I ran my serial through the database and it indicates it was made in February 2003, so it's a Korean-made instrument.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
As the others have said, that is a great starting rig. You did really good here. I hope you like the gear! And happy NGD!!!
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Quote by StarGeezerTim
Oh, I did have a serious question here too. According to Epiphone's website for this guitar, it says that it now features a KillPot™. I've seen them in use on other guitars, so I know what they are. However, there doesn't appear to be any travel on any of the pots.

Was there a date when they started using the KillPots on the G-400's? I ran my serial through the database and it indicates it was made in February 2003, so it's a Korean-made instrument.

I don't know the year, but you can turn the neck pickup off and use the 3 way as a kill switch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks Robb, I guess I was asking out of morbid curiosity more than anything. Not having it isn't a deal-breaker for me by a long shot. Not even sure it's a feature I would use all that often, I just wanted to know if I was missing something obvious (which happens a lot more often as I get older! )

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
So I've just been noodling around the past couple days, just trying to get my finger tips back in shape. Anywhere from 10 minutes to no more than 30 minutes at a time (last thing I want now is a blister.) Can already feel the very beginnings of my old friends, calluses, coming back.

So, yay for that.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Way to go!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!