I've been thinking about adding another overdrive pedal to my collection (only got a Bad Monkey and Boss ME-50 mfx).

I'm looking at good but cheap pedals like my bad monkey as I can't justify spending more than 50 quid (about 70 dollars I think) on a pedal.

I was thinking about stacking two pedals together to get a higher gain tone as I'm playing through a Fender Blues Deville and it doesn't distort easily which I like most of the time but I also want distortion sometimes without blowing my head of with the volume (I play with a drummer and bassist but only in a small room).

1) Can anyone recommend an overdrive pedal to go with my bad monkey? Preferably one that sounds a bit different so I have the option to use the new pedal alone and have a different tone. I was looking at a Joyo Overdrive as it seems to have good reviews and is cheap.

2) Can anyone recommend a higher gain pedal that might get me towards a metal tone? The metal pedal simulators on the ME-50 mfx don't sound like I want them to.

3) What is the tonal difference between an amp like a 6505/dual rec etc, compared to a clean amp with a metal type distortion pedal? Is it just the closed back makes the bass tighter?
Joyo seem to be a good way to go for the cheaper options. They have lots of different clones available, maybe their plexi-style OD? It depends what kind of stacking possibilities you want. A second tubescreamer-type pedal for that SRV stacked sound?

I quite like running a cleaner boost (in the form of my Keeley BD-2) in to my gainier Tubescreamer.
You could try the EHX Soul Food as a second, cleaner OD?
The JOYO distortion one...the one with the weird red face, is pretty good. I think it is modelled on a OCD. If you want high gain sounds another alternative may be a mooer, the Blade distortion is pretty good, but it really comes down to what sort of tone you are wanting.
I have the EHX Glove & East River Drive. Both excellent pedals.

The East River Drive is supposedly a TS clone, I use it as a light crunch but it goes through to probably medium gain tones. The Glove is my medium gain pedal, but it'll go a bit heavier than that - probably not up to metal levels of distortion though.

Both cost under £50, both have earned a permanent place on my board.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
which joyo overdrive are you looking at? the vintage od is a tubescreamer clone and (IMO) sounds too close to the bad monkey to be much use for what you want. Assuming you want to use it like a boost, you probably want a more transparent-sounding overdrive. on the cheap, the digitech screamin blues is pretty decent.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Imo the Boss Sd1 is a good compliment to the bm. Its crispier and grittier and they stack well together
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20