Page 1 of 3
Hello! I'm Wout and I play hardcore music with some thrash metal influences. In a few months I'm playing my first show. But I'm still looking for a guitar head that I can use at home, but also live.

For my live performances, I use a 16 Ohm cabbinet. At home I have two cabbinets available: a 4 Ohm cabbinet (150 watts) which I can convert to a 16 Ohm cabbtinet (but then I lose some power) and a I have a Davoli basscabbinet + head (api tude lied organ bass 100 + box b50).
Now I play on this Davoli amplifier with a Boss MT-2 pedal and it sounds good. But it's a bass amp and I play with my guitar on it, is this safe?
Maybe I don' need a new head? Maybe I can also use the head to play live on a 16 Ohm cabbinet, or is it dangerous?

I don't know what the best solution is:
- using this bass head live (on a 16 ohm guitar cabbinet)
- buy a new guitar head and then play it on my guitar cabbinet at home (a 4 Ohm guitar cabbinet that I can convert to a 16 Ohm cabbinet)
- buy a new guitar head and then play on my 32 Ohm bass cabbinet at home

What is the cheapest solution and and what sounds best? My maximum budget is €400. Thanks!
far as i'm aware it's ok to play a guitar through a bass amp. it's the other way round which can cause problems (the speakers, mainly).

a guitar-orientated head will likely sound better, though. EDIT: most guitar heads I'm aware of won't let you use a 32 ohm impedance.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
far as i'm aware it's ok to play a guitar through a bass amp. it's the other way round which can cause problems (the speakers, mainly).

a guitar-orientated head will likely sound better, though. EDIT: most guitar heads I'm aware of won't let you use a 32 ohm impedance.

Sorry for my late response, I'm pretty busy with school.. Which head would you recommend me If I had to buy a new one?
Quote by woutbiesmans1
Sorry for my late response, I'm pretty busy with school.. Which head would you recommend me If I had to buy a new one?

If you want new, it's hard to beat jet city in europe for the money they go for. the 50 watt head is ~£240 on thomann, and for that kind of money it's ridiculously nice. the harley benton g212vintage cabinet on thomann is also hard to beat for the money it goes for ~£160). That's a little over your budget (£400 instead of 400 euros), but if you can stretch at all that'll give you a really, really nice rig for about the minimum price it's possible to pay for something even half decent, new.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
If you want new, it's hard to beat jet city in europe for the money they go for. the 50 watt head is ~£240 on thomann, and for that kind of money it's ridiculously nice.

+1. Jet City amps are gaining quite a following. Their Soldano pedigree is no doubt a big part of that.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Offworld92
We need to know this stuff to make make useful recommendations to you:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=25873058&postcount=1

Budget? Maximum €400
Genres? Hardcore music with some thrash metal influences (GRIM, Nails, Harness)
New or Used? Doesn't matter, I just want a good head
Home or Gig? For rehearsals and live performances
Closest City? Belgium, Flanders
Current Gear? Davoli basscabbinet + head (api tude lied organ bass 100 + box b50) I use this set together with a Boss MT-2 pedal.
I pla,y on a Epiphone SG
Quote by Dave_Mc
If you want new, it's hard to beat jet city in europe for the money they go for. the 50 watt head is ~£240 on thomann, and for that kind of money it's ridiculously nice. the harley benton g212vintage cabinet on thomann is also hard to beat for the money it goes for ~£160). That's a little over your budget (£400 instead of 400 euros), but if you can stretch at all that'll give you a really, really nice rig for about the minimum price it's possible to pay for something even half decent, new.

There are some heads below 400 euros on Thoman but those are no lamp heads. Is there a lamphead that costs less than 400 euros?
I could buy an Randall RH100 for 200 euros, but this head is 8 Ohm. Is that enough fot a live performence?
And I also could buy an Bugera 333-Infinium lamphead for 250. But I'm not sure if this is still for sale. These heads are all second hand.
here this is the head and cab he is talking about
the head
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm?sid=5c1d6a308df483b0cd757a968acb0bb9
the cab
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

The amp is €239
the cab is €195

If you already have a cab, the amp will work fine with it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 17, 2014,
^ yeah. that's an all-tube (lamp) amp.

Quote by FatalGear41
+1. Jet City amps are gaining quite a following. Their Soldano pedigree is no doubt a big part of that.

yeah. they also sound pretty darn good (especially through decent speaker cabs with decent speakers), and from what i hear from people i trust, are built remarkably well considering how much they cost.

they're pretty much a textbook case of doing it right on the cheap- keep the thing pretty simple (so not tons of bells and whistles) but build it well.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
the head
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm?sid=5c1d6a308df483b0cd757a968acb0bb9
the cab

The amp is €239
the cab is €195

This setup would be great, OP.

I don't know any of the gear you have (is it even guitar gear? Or?...), but these will sound fantastic for what you want to play.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Robbgnarly
the head
the cab

The amp is €239
the cab is €195

I recommend this setup. I have the little brother, 22H and the 1x12 V30 cab and it smokes amps 3x the price. I've had Marshalls, Oranges, Bugeras all which where nice but just not the sound in my head.

Jet City got it right with the JCA line and the 50w head is just a beast!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Quote by Arby911
No.

Why not? The Bugerra 333 has more gain I think... and he sounds more metal? And that for 250 euros (3 years old)
Last edited by woutbiesmans1 at Jun 17, 2014,
Quote by woutbiesmans1
Why not? The Bugerra 333 has more gain I think... and he sounds more metal? And that for 150 euros (3 years old)

Bugera has really bad QC and I would not buy a new one let alone a used one

I would take a Jet City over a Bugera any day. And I owned a 333 for several years. Yes it sounded good, but it was in the repair shop a lot also.

Jet City has very good QC and they sound pretty damn good also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Bugera has really bad QC and I would not buy a new one let alone a used one

I would take a Jet City over a Bugera any day. And I owned a 333 for several years. Yes it sounded good, but it was in the repair shop a lot also.

Jet City has very good QC and they sound pretty damn good also.

What is an QC? And yah, I'm play some hard hardcore. So I need a realy good sound on my head. I don't have the money to buy serval pedals. I only have a Boss MT2 Pedal. Here is an example of the music: http://grim1.bandcamp.com/
Quote by woutbiesmans1
What is an QC? And yah, I'm play some hard hardcore. So I need a realy good sound on my head. I don't have the money to buy serval pedals. I only have a Boss MT2 Pedal. Here is an example of the music: http://grim1.bandcamp.com/

QC is Quality Control Bugeras have a lack of QC

With the Jet City you can use a OD like a tube screamer as a boost and it will give you more saturation.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
QC is Quality Control Bugeras have a lack of QC

With the Jet City you can use a OD like a tube screamer as a boost and it will give you more saturation.

I really don't know what to do. I don't have a lot of mony, I'm a student and I work al lot. So, I realy want to buy the right head for a great live performance. That 50 euros diffrence means a lot for me.

The seller of the Bugera head knows to say that he had never pieces. He already had pieces with an Messa Boogie and an Peavey head. He has the head for 3 years and he has never played much on it.
Quote by woutbiesmans1
I really don't know what to do. I don't have a lot of mony, I'm a student and I work al lot. So, I realy want to buy the right head for a great live performance. That 50 euros diffrence means a lot for me.

The seller of the Bugera head knows to say that he had never pieces. He already had pieces with an Messa Boogie and an Peavey head. He has the head for 3 years and he has never played much on it.

No, you clearly know WHAT to do, which is buy the Jet City even though it's slighlty more expensive.

But what you WANT to do is buy the cheaper Bugera and hope that it does what you need it to.

And lets be honest, the Bugera may work fine and the JC might fail.

But the odds aren't stacked that way.

It's your call, price or reliability...

Consider this though. If you don't have the money to do it right, when will you have the money to do it again?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Consider this though. If you don't have the money to do it right, when will you have the money to do it again?

And if the Bugera fails, how will you be able to afford to fix it?

Jet Cities are built well and are very reliable.

Really you should be looking for a used Peavey. They set the bar for reliability. But I'm not sure what they're like used in your country. They are extremely (relatively) cheap here in the US.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Arby911

Yeah that's kind of the paradox with not having much cash- you often end up having to take a chance, which you can ill afford to do.

As you said, the jet city may well fail and the bugera may well not- with any of these things it's statistics and odds rather than a prophecy (that goes for any statistic really... well unless it's a 100% chance I suppose ). But if the jet city does fail you have a 3 year warranty with thomann... assuming thomann doesn't go bust, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by woutbiesmans1
http://www.bugera-amps.com/EN/products/333.aspx
I can buy this one used for 250 euros, is this a better buy than the Jet City head?

I don't think so. The Bugera 333 is their knock-off of Peavey's old JSX amp. It does sound very good, but Bugera's quality control problems are legendary. They have been responsible for heartbreak, violent acts, and more than a few fires.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
^ The 333 is the XXX clone, the 333xl is the JSX
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Arby911
No, you clearly know WHAT to do, which is buy the Jet City even though it's slighlty more expensive.

But what you WANT to do is buy the cheaper Bugera and hope that it does what you need it to.

And lets be honest, the Bugera may work fine and the JC might fail.

But the odds aren't stacked that way.

It's your call, price or reliability...

You're right, the Yet City is the best solution. But a friend of me says that I have to juse a tubescreemer on it. Is this so? And are there any cheap and good tubescreemers on the market? Maybe I have enough with the Boss MT2 pedal.

http://www.2dehands.be/muziek/muziek-accessoires/gitaarversterker/peavey-xxl-amp-192488765.html I also could buy this one? Is this an better solution than de Jet City?

And this one... http://www.2dehands.be/muziek/muziek-accessoires/gitaarversterker/line-6-spider-valve-hd100-184089317.html
Last edited by woutbiesmans1 at Jun 18, 2014,
Quote by Offworld92
And if the Bugera fails, how will you be able to afford to fix it?

Jet Cities are built well and are very reliable.

Really you should be looking for a used Peavey. They set the bar for reliability. But I'm not sure what they're like used in your country. They are extremely (relatively) cheap here in the US.

I found the Peavey xxl for 300 euros second hand. Is this an better head than the Jet City?
Last edited by woutbiesmans1 at Jun 18, 2014,
Quote by woutbiesmans1
You're right, the Yet City is the best solution. But a friend of me says that I have to juse a tubescreemer on it. Is this so? And are there any cheap and good tubescreemers on the market? Maybe I have enough with the Boss MT2 pedal.

http://www.2dehands.be/muziek/muziek-accessoires/gitaarversterker/peavey-xxl-amp-192488765.html I also could buy this one? Is this an better solution than de Jet City?

And this one... http://www.2dehands.be/muziek/muziek-accessoires/gitaarversterker/line-6-spider-valve-hd100-184089317.html

The XXL is an OK amp, but it is not a tube amp and the Jet City is way better.

The Spider Valve is a decent amp, I had one for several years. It takes a really long time to get it sounding good, it took me over a year until I was OK with my tone. The one drawback to the Line 6 is you need the FBV shortboard to get the most out of it and it is €200 more you will have to shell out, or no channel switching.

Personally I'd get the Jet City and look for a used Digitech Bad Monkey OD, Joyo Vintage OD. These are tubescreamer type pedals, but way cheaper than an Ibanez. This €29 Harley Benton is just a rebranded JOYO VintageOD www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_vintage_overdrive.htm

Out of the amps you have looked at, the Line 6 is the best most reliable choice if you don't get the Jet City
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Buy the Jet City already or I'll release the cats.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Jet City JCA50H: €289
Harley Benton Vintage Overdrive: €29
2x Squier by Fender patchkabel (because I also have thos boss MT2-pedal: €7
In total this is: €325
Wel, that is an acceptable price...

But if I could by the Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 for €250... Or do you guys say that this head is not good enough?

Sorry for my many questions. But I am a queen, and I really want to buy the best head...
^ I'd probably get a bad monkey instead of the harley benton. arguably more reliable/better built, and has a little more tone-shaping abilities. Though the harley benton/joyo vintage od might sound marginally nicer

you don't *need* to use one, but a lot of people like using ods with a tube amp- gives you more options etc. You might as well pick it up when you're getting the jet city since thomann won't have free postage on something that small (and you get a 3 year warranty with them). though if you want to try the amp first without the overdrive pedal, i think amazon matches thomann's price for the bad monkey. you won't have the 3 year warranty, though.

the spider valve is very versatile, but I didn't like its sounds all that much. however, from what i hear tweaking is very important with them and I only tried it in a shop so didn't tweak it much, if at all, so

EDIT: i've heard decent things about thomann's own brand "the snake" cables, though i haven't tried them. might be better than those squier patch cables. EDIT: actually they only seem to have multipacks and they look pretty cheap. I dunno
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 18, 2014,
I have a Jet City 50 watt 1x12" combo, and an overdrive pedal in front actually doesn't affect the gain structure a ton. It makes a noticeable difference, but it's not as big of a difference as overdrives are in front of other high gain amps. I'd recommend an EQ pedal before an overdrive so you can get rid of some of the fizz & congested ~200Hz range that haunt Soldano-types.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Well..

My JCA50 can do pretty much what you are asking.
running it though a 2x12 zilla V30 cab with a OD pedal in front and a MXR 10 band EQ pedal in the loop.
There has been some great suggestions so far. Gonna say get the jet city head and a bad monkey.

STAY AWAY FROM THE BOSS PEDAL.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by woutbiesmans1
Jet City JCA50H: €289
Harley Benton Vintage Overdrive: €29
2x Squier by Fender patchkabel (because I also have thos boss MT2-pedal: €7
In total this is: €325
Wel, that is an acceptable price...

But if I could by the Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 for €250... Or do you guys say that this head is not good enough?

Sorry for my many questions. But I am a queen, and I really want to buy the best head...

That's a reasonable price for the Line 6, but the simple truth is that as a beginner the modes, switches and required time to get it to sound good will greatly overwhelm your learning (and enjoyment) of the guitar. Too many people get those types of amps early on and spend so much time twiddling knobs that they forget to play the damn guitar. I'm of the opinion that modeling can be as much of a blessing as a curse to a newer player.

The Jet City will do exactly what you've asked, at a great price, with a great warranty and a minimum of knob fumbling. It's my opinion that at this point in your journey it's the superior tool for you.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Carrot
Well..

My JCA50 can do pretty much what you are asking.
running it though a 2x12 zilla V30 cab with a OD pedal in front and a MXR 10 band EQ pedal in the loop.
There has been some great suggestions so far. Gonna say get the jet city head and a bad monkey.

STAY AWAY FROM THE BOSS PEDAL.

Why would I stay away from the Boss MT2? That pedal has dark and hard sound, ideal for "mosh" pieces. I still, play some haevy/emotional hardcore...
the jet city has enough overdrive by itself that you won't really need the mt2. and most would say its od sounds better than the mt2.

it's up to you, though, i mean if the mt2 does the exact sound you want, go for it. you'll have more options, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by woutbiesmans1
Why would I stay away from the Boss MT2? That pedal has dark and hard sound, ideal for "mosh" pieces. I still, play some haevy/emotional hardcore...

Its bee's in a boss. But then I personally find most Boss distortion pedals are. Their OD pedals are usable but I wouldn't personally again.

A nice OD pedal instead would help the JCA a lot better.
With the right pickups and EQing and an OD pedal. That JCA (with the right cab) will do just about everything.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
yeah

i like the boss od pedals, though. the sd1 is epic. the blues driver isn't bad either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hello guys!

I now have enough money to buy the Jet City JCA50H. But my last question for this purchase is: "What is the difference between the different models from Jet City"? You have the JCA22H B-Stock, the JCA22H and ...
Jet City and Bad Monkey

JCA 22 and the 20 are different interms of gain I think?

Dave know's more than me!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Page 1 of 3