It seems like this would be detrimental to fluidity of playing--as any anchoring may be--but both guthrie govan and john petrucci do it. So what gives? Is it advantageous to anchor your pinky? My picking is the weakest part of my playing, so i'm wiling to try anything
Guthrie doesn't actually need to do it at all. Having seen him live quite a few times I can say that with complete confidence. Petrucci is different anyway since past a certain point his picking becomes tense and horrible anyway.

Either way, the whole anchoring/not-anchoring thing is... well to be honest, it's not as important as people make it out to be most of the time. The most important things are that you're relaxed and that you're making very small movements. If you can manage that then not anchoring may boost you from top 10% of pickers in the world to top %5 or something but until that point there's more important stuff to focus on.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks, Zaphod. I'm jealous you've seen Guthrie live. W/ the aristocrats or solo? I'm not a fan of prog jazz by any means, but I love Erotic Cakes. I know it's the common belief, but imo, he has to be the best player in the world. What do you think?
Quote by RyanMW2010
Thanks, Zaphod. I'm jealous you've seen Guthrie live. W/ the aristocrats or solo? I'm not a fan of prog jazz by any means, but I love Erotic Cakes. I know it's the common belief, but imo, he has to be the best player in the world. What do you think?

I've seen him do a couple of clinics and a good few times with his fusion band The Fellowship, sadly last time The Aristocrats were anywhere near me I was too skint to go see them

He's definitely one of the best but then once you get to anything like his level it's all about personal taste more than anything else anyway. He's my favourite guitarist by a long way though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm a buckethead fan, in terms of his composition and musicality. I like his songwriting style a lot more than guthrie's, but Erotic Cakes is everything I wished/expected most buckethead albums to be. Just impossible guitar on top of impossible guitar. To that end, I'm with you. I prefer Joe Bonamassa in terms of style, but if there was one guitarist I wish I could play like, it would be Guthrie.
Saying you wish to play like Guthrie is pretty much saying you wish to be able to play anything flawlessly He is one of(if not the) most complete guitar player ever. I'm not a big fan of his genre but he is one sick guitarist.

As for anchoring, I myself do it. Although when I try not to anchor to see if it would improve my playing, I found that it didn't make much difference although that might be because I'm just having my pinky touch the guitar rather than actually anchoring it. So probably try both out and see if it makes a difference and if not, choose the one's that's most comfortable to you.
Anchoring your pinky is a useful technique to have in your quiver but most guitarists don't use it all the time. When you need a lot of positional control, anchor it.

Guthrie G is a highly technically skilled guitarist and I am a pretty big fan of both his playing and his outlook on music. Best guitarist?? No such thing. He sits among about two dozen guitarists that I find inspiring and I think he feels the same way about others who inspire him.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I sometimes let my unused fingers rest on the unused strings. Right hand muting is sort of an amorphous thing, but it's got a double purpose between muting and stability. Important part is to keep the wrist and hand relaxed.

I wouldn't worry too much what "the greats" do. They're all different. Some have flawless classical technique, some have little quirks. When it comes to smaller details, do what's comfortable unless it interferes with what you want to play.

Edit:

you Guthrie Govan fans would probably enjoy Umphrey's McGee. Their lead guitarist, Jake Cinninger, is absolutely killer. Plus the tunes are interesting and groovy through and through. I definitely hear a lot of shared influence between the two artists.

Jazz Pistols are also in the same vein as Govan, but more on the Metheny-style jazz fusion/funk side.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jun 13, 2014,