Page 1 of 2
This thread is not for false please thank you.

Anyway I ask this because I don't have much of an issue finding other types of music. I'm around Jazz musicians so I hear about Jazz from them. I occasionally get some good stuff when I sift through the shitheap of /mu/, etc. But Metal is always illusive for me.

Not that there is anything wrong with the glorious cornerstones of Metal I already have access to, but I enjoy finding new Metal as frequently as I can. Lately however I have been a bit dry in that department lately. I used to just get it from here but this place is slow as shit now.

What is the best place to discover new (or old but great) REAL Metal? No gay bullshit please.

Also, I ask this because there is no scene at all where I live and even if there was it would be shit.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Jun 13, 2014,
I'm not very true, but I get most of my legal metal from Amazon, Bandcamp or my local HMV (they do have good stuff from time to time) and my stuff of questionable legality from various Metal orientated leak sites.

I like Leaksites because it's basically a huge page of album covers and short description, it's like browsing a store but with good stock.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jun 13, 2014,
I should've been more clear that I am talking about DISCOVERING. Not buying necessarily but thank you
My main resources:

Metal Archives: You can use the recommendation forums for specifics or (what I do) you can go to the reviews section and just look through the albums there. It's a massive site but if you click on an album/band it darkens the hyperlink so you can see that you've already checked it out.

Blogs: I'm mainly into black metal so I follow blogs like MoonlightGate, but you can find ones for pretty much anything. Bunalti is a good place to start. (Keep in mind blogs usually only update new releases, not old stuff).

YouTube: Again I like BM so I'm subscribed to channels like BlackMetalUpdates, Lightfox etc.etc.

Bandcamp is another one but generally I find everything on there from Metal Archives.

Metal Storm(.net) is much smaller than MA (and therefore might be a bit easier to digest) and has some things that aren't on MA.
The similar bands function on MA is pretty useful, but more often than not leads to shit copies of bands that you like
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Yeah I've tried using it before but it seems like it just gives me well known bands or bands that are literally riding on the sound of the band they're copying.

I have found some cool stuff though from there I guess
DeMontford University?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by The Wildchild
The similar bands function on MA is pretty useful, but more often than not leads to shit copies of bands that you like

It's better to go look up the record label and try to find stuff from there.

For me, a lot of it is from this website actually lol. DLA is a good resource, as is DMU. I don't know anyone who listens to any type of 'extreme' metal irl. I have no idea how people even found out about anything in the 80's/90's. I guess you had to be deeply invested in the scene back then. I doubt I would have heard of bands like Infester or Demilich if not for da interwebz.
Quote by The Wildchild
DMU is the answer

I actually tried that once and liked what I found, but I am always confused because some people treat sites like that and also ANUS as a joke but I am so confused

I just want good music :'''(
If I were to consult my contemporaries, I'd probably end up with a heap of obscure goat metal from stupid countries that wear more bullet belts than they have good songs

The scene is poisonous
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Considering my history on this website I have been asked this a lot before. My answer is always the same; I listen to a shit ton of music. I pass on the terrible stuff and revisit the stuff that catches my eye. With the recent realization of the internet and the creation of the funderground it is even easier than ever to hear all the terrible, awful Metal bands and discover the 1 or 2 keepers. Keep up with labels and find some reliable names. Get free stuff sent to your door to listen too.

DMU.org has great music taste but also has terrible writing written by skinny bedroom dwellers who try and use their music taste to masturbate their egos. I have yet to meet an ANUS that I enjoy outside of their music taste.

It's weird to see that most of the current UG members have a disillusioned, preconceived notion that there exist a universal approach to Metal as a musical form of enjoyment or hobby. UG has mostly turned into new members trying to replicate other members taste and listening styles. It's gross. This is exactly what created the terrible Death/Black scenes to begin with and the existence of the melting pot that was the 80's faded into obscurity.

Weird thing about my music hobby, it is done entirely out of enjoyment factor. There exist no ideology to somehow elevate one sound from another as if it exist to validate my music taste as being an extent of my ego. It existed this way before the internet and it coexisted with a scene that I mostly forsake in lieu of endeavors with actual substance.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jun 13, 2014,
Finding new bands and musics eh?

I follow youtube links on the side of the videos for bands I already like. It's probably the easiest way to find new stuff that will likely be something similar to what you already like. The more links you follow, the further away from the original band it gets which helps in branching to new genres, especially since it's usually a gradual change in style.
Even if you're just watching guitar covers, this usually proves a good way of finding great music. If you find a guy doing a cover of a song you like check out their profile, it's likely he will have covers of other bands you might enjoy.

Every now and again I'll type into google '2014 (any year will do) metal releases' and have a look there (usually end up on wiki). I just like having a look whether I've missed anything and whether any interesting sounding bands have done anything (judging by their name and/or album title)

Looking in magazines and stuff is pretty obvious, though I've found most of the interesting bands I've not heard of are in the advertisements in these magazines, like the full page 'label promotions' or random leaflets that come with them (found my favorite band this way). Also looking at bands advertising a tour in these. I've found a few good bands just from seeing an ad that they're on tour and thinking "that's a pretty badass band name, I'll check them out".
The actual magazines themselves are usually awful for finding new bands since they always talk about the same handful of bands.

Look at festival line ups. You'll probably know the bands on the 'higher' stages but having a gander at who are on lesser stages sometimes leaves you with a hidden gem.

Lastly, my old favorite and ol' reliable. Typing something into google/youtube with the word 'metal' after it, then proceed to follow links.

That's all the ways I can think of that don't require a group of friends or a 'metal scene'.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I never really though about labels for some reason, but I suppose that's a good idea.

I didn't plan on finding any friends or anything on DMU so I am really just concerned with the music. I don't really care about ideologies in Metal beyond just reading about them to understand the concept. Just want some sick music
I just use distro websites like Shadow Kingdom or Evil Skull records. Then I find the music somewhere, be it from youtube or google, then I buy it if I have the funds. High Roller records is good, then you find the product elsewhere. I always look on distro websites because if I find something I enjoy, at the very least I can purchase it in full.

I view a lot of blogs and I sift through a lot of music as well. There's not much I don't like, but I mostly pass on newer black metal/death metal unless it's by someone with some reputation to them. I am a product of the internet metal craze, and I don't think it's a bad thing the internet exists in the slightest. Without it, I'd be listening to whatever is on the radio, or maybe I'd skip music altogether.

Someone asked me where I find all my music, and I told them "my music? no young one, it is the music of the people. all people."

I'm lying of course. I just pointed him in the direction of some blogs.
Start with Raf666Underground. It's a big collection of death metal/black metal. I mean, it's still up to you to sift through all of it, and there are plenty of solid links to other blogs aside from that. Good starting point.
I forgot which blog/site it is, but there was a guy who made lists of like '300 classic black metal albums' or something, there are probably similar lists for thrash, death, etc. Again, there's no way of knowing which of those are creme de la creme, except by listening to them.
metalsucks.net metalinjection.net nocleansinging.com heavyblogisheavy.com lambgoat.com.m and countless other metal sites reviewing obscure music
Quote by bendystraw
Fifty bucks says you're fat.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Considering my history on this website I have been asked this a lot before. My answer is always the same; I listen to a shit ton of music. I pass on the terrible stuff and revisit the stuff that catches my eye. With the recent realization of the internet and the creation of the funderground it is even easier than ever to hear all the terrible, awful Metal bands and discover the 1 or 2 keepers. Keep up with labels and find some reliable names. Get free stuff sent to your door to listen too.

DMU.org has great music taste but also has terrible writing written by skinny bedroom dwellers who try and use their music taste to masturbate their egos. I have yet to meet an ANUS that I enjoy outside of their music taste.

It's weird to see that most of the current UG members have a disillusioned, preconceived notion that there exist a universal approach to Metal as a musical form of enjoyment or hobby. UG has mostly turned into new members trying to replicate other members taste and listening styles. It's gross. This is exactly what created the terrible Death/Black scenes to begin with and the existence of the melting pot that was the 80's faded into obscurity.

Weird thing about my music hobby, it is done entirely out of enjoyment factor. There exist no ideology to somehow elevate one sound from another as if it exist to validate my music taste as being an extent of my ego. It existed this way before the internet and it coexisted with a scene that I mostly forsake in lieu of endeavors with actual substance.

You wound me.

Typically I browse DMU / DLA for stuff I haven't heard and then listen, or just pick up band names by wired of mouth. 90% of the metal I listened to was discussed by people here prior to me checking it out. If it made a buzz with the right people then I hunted for it. Caladan Brood is a recent band that I checked out based on word of mouth.

Also, like Veeg said, you have to listen to lots of bad music to find the good stuff. But, some would say the bad is what makes the good good.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass

90% of the metal I listened to was discussed by people here prior to me checking it out. If it made a buzz with the right people then I hunted for it. Caladan Brood is a recent band that I checked out based on word of mouth.
Yup that's pretty much how I found stuff before. I only found out about bands like Bolzer, Nuclear Death, and Poison because I heard a couple of you guys talking about.
I enjoy checking the similar artists using lastfm, MA, and youtube. Sure you get a lot of copies of bands you like, but every once in a while you find something worth listening to. I find users on Lastfm with similar tastes and I browse bands they've listened to. I look at the recommendations people on UG make. I find reviewers on MA who actually write good reviews, and I browse their top rated albums. I search blogs like Severed.

I do all this and probably more in order to find new music. I think one thing you should remember though is this: who gives a fvck what some anusite or UGer says about an album. Listen to the music for yourself and make a judgment call. I used to be concerned with only listening to things that were well respected or cool, and fortunately I've been able to overcome this. Now I just click links and listen to pretty much anything, and I think this is the best way to find what you enjoy. I'll try to post some blogs, lists, reviewers, etc. that I use to find music later this weekend.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
b-but how can I know the enjoyment I get out of an album isn't FAKE enjoyment????? I can't be caught listening to false metal no sir

But for real though I really like the Last.fm idea now that I think about it. That's why I listened to Marissa Nadler because I was creeping on WC's Last.fm
Quote by Ironic Maiden
b-but how can I know the enjoyment I get out of an album isn't FAKE enjoyment????? I can't be caught listening to false metal no sir

But for real though I really like the Last.fm idea now that I think about it. That's why I listened to Marissa Nadler because I was creeping on WC's Last.fm

See? Something new. Just checked out a song. I love it. Any album recs?

Try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h9XUYj96ho

Another thing I will do is if I find something like what you just posted, I will look through that person's influences and try to find the big names in that style. So for example, if I listen to say Rome (I fvcking love Rome if you don't know them already. Flowers from Exile, go listen to it now) or something, I will see that he likes Leonard Cohen, Throbbing Gristle, Leo Ferre, Nick Cave, etc, and I will go listen to those artists and just keep tracing influences across genres. I think this is one of the best ways to find things.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Ironic Maiden

I fully endorse listening to bad or false metal. Without contextual understanding of what makes it bad and such you won't fully appreciate the truly out standing releases. Even still, there are some untrue bands I still enjoy from time to time. I just also acknowledge the flaws in their music.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
That song was great, and I listened to Rome and that was really dope too. I'll have to check out those albums cus damn. The influences idea is a great one too, I found a couple bands like that before.

Oh by the way the Marissa Nadler album I listened to most so far was Songs III: Bird on the Water
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Jun 14, 2014,
Thanks lists on old Earache albums.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Page 1 of 2