Hi. I have a problem I hope you can help with
I plug my guitar into a Pod xt live which is connected to some studio speakers.
The trouble is that I get a annoying buzz / hum sound when I play. It also happens when I palm mute the strings (almost like my hand is causing interference with the pickups) Its a similar hum to the one it makes before you plug the guitar in if that makes sense. It does it when I strike a note and then fades after a second or two

I have 3 guitars but it is considerable more noticable on my PRS SE Custom but oddly not so much with my Charvel with active pickups. Its less noticable with the guitar volume turned down but then I lose some of the gain too

It does it mostly on Vai, Van Halen and similar sounds but not on clean sounds or other heavy metal tones such as Metallica etc.

Any suggestions please as its driving me nuts. ???

Richard
Bad cable(s), try new or different ones.

Try plugging the POD into a different wall outlet.

ALSO, check your monitors / speakers, they can really play havoc and are usually the last thing considered.
Thanks.
Tried 2 high quality cables
Tried different speakers and power socket with no luck.
I'm just using the presets.
If I use the 'pad' setting on the input then it reduces the hum but not enough so perhaps the pickups are some how overpowering the input of the pod if that makes sense?
Sounds like you have a bad ground in your guitar.

You might want to get some contact cleaner and clean all the jacks on the POD, I had to do it to my POD XT
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Not sure what you mean by bad ground but I will give that a try.
The guitar is brand new so I suspect it's ok. I have tried it through head phones with all the electrics and lights in the house powered off and the problem persists.

I have a recording of the noise I may be able to upload somewhere if you think it would help?

Thank for the suggestions so far
if you touch metal on the guitar and the buzz stops, then the ground wires are not done correctly. Remember New is only a word and doesn't mean it is perfect.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How do I check?
It's does it on all 3 oft guitars but some more than others which would suggest it isn't the guitar. I have also tried the guitar through my pc with amplitube and the same speakers and don't have the issue with that which leads me to think it's the pod...
Quote by Meteoriot
How do I check?
It's does it on all 3 oft guitars but some more than others which would suggest it isn't the guitar. I have also tried the guitar through my pc with amplitube and the same speakers and don't have the issue with that which leads me to think it's the pod...

It could be the pod, get some electrical contact cleaner and try that first.

Do the guitars do this through your amp?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Contacts are clean.
Problem is eliminated when I turn the volume down on the guitar itself but at the cost of a bit of oomph
Quote by Meteoriot
Contacts are clean.
Problem is eliminated when I turn the volume down on the guitar itself but at the cost of a bit of oomph

Sounds like you're clipping the signal. If your guitar input is too hot it will add distortion by clipping.
try turning the channel volume down or the output down a bit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Problem solved.
Just used the built in gate to cut out the hum. Simple when you know how.
Thanks for taking the time to try and help

Richard