Im wondering if there is something better in that price range (~$600).

I know AxFx is better, but its like 4x as much.

I own NI's Guitar Rig 5 Pro. (waiting for GR6 release someday).

I'm wondering if Eleven Rack is similar in tone / quality.

thanks.
I had one, sounded pretty good. Not NEARLY as many options as the Axe, but the sound quality was pretty close. For the price you can get one used they are hard to beat, and you get a copy of Pro Tools if you buy them new, so you still come out on top.

I would also look into the POD HD series, they have similar level of sound quality and I think the POD has some options that the Eleven doesn't.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The Eleven is an excellent piece of kit; versatile, good tones and (as already mentioned), it comes with Pro Tools so it is a hard act to beat - especially for the money. If you have the cash for an Axe FX II, go for it. But for mere mortals, the Eleven is an excellent choice.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
The Eleven is an excellent piece of kit; versatile, good tones and (as already mentioned), it comes with Pro Tools so it is a hard act to beat - especially for the money. If you have the cash for an Axe FX II, go for it. But for mere mortals, the Eleven is an excellent choice.

Cool. thanks. I'm wondering if anybody has had a chance to compare it to NI's GR5?
i haven't ever played a 11r, but the compatibility with pro tools is very enticing. honestly if you ever get intro recording, pro tools is pretty much standard (to a point) and having the heads up with that and the compatibility is tempting.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i haven't ever played a 11r, but the compatibility with pro tools is very enticing. honestly if you ever get intro recording, pro tools is pretty much standard (to a point) and having the heads up with that and the compatibility is tempting.

Hi, thanks. I'm a cubase guy. I know Pro Tools is considered to be the standard in the recording industry, but most music isn't recording on Pro Tools in 2014. In fact many hit songs, and film sound tracks are done in something other than Pro Tools. Pro Tools is a great DAW, but it can also be a real money pit.

If I pick up Eleven Rack it won't be for the Pro Tools. It seems now if you pay the $98 to Avid, you get the Eleven Rack Expansion pak allowing you to run it as a standalone and/or completely by-passing Pro Tools. It can be used in FL Studio, Cubase, anything.

thanks.
Last edited by jokerone at Jun 14, 2014,
Quote by jokerone
Hi, thanks. I'm a cubase guy. I know Pro Tools is considered to be the standard in the recording industry, but most music isn't recording on Pro Tools in 2014. In fact many hit songs, and film sound tracks are done in something other than Pro Tools. Pro Tools is a great DAW, but it can also be a real money pit.

If I pick up Eleven Rack it won't be for the Pro Tools. It seems now if you pay the $98 to Avid, you get the Eleven Rack Expansion pak allowing you to run it as a standalone and/or completely by-passing Pro Tools. It can be used in FL Studio, Cubase, anything.

thanks.

i know protools isn't industry standard they use much more advanced software in studios, but i was referring to smaller independent studios for first EP's or albums if they aren't signed or signed under a test.

11r really isn't worth it without the protools.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
The 11R was a very nice piece of gear when it came out. It's excellent for working with Pro Tools.

It hasn't been updated, nor is there any anticipated replacement for it coming down the pike. At this point, it's looking like an orphan product. If you're going to use it live, you'll need some kind of MIDI footpedal setup.

Honestly, if you're not going to use ProTools, I'd suggest the HD500X instead.
Quote by dspellman
The 11R was a very nice piece of gear when it came out. It's excellent for working with Pro Tools.

It hasn't been updated, nor is there any anticipated replacement for it coming down the pike. At this point, it's looking like an orphan product. If you're going to use it live, you'll need some kind of MIDI footpedal setup.

+3.1415 concur.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by dspellman

Protools is the industry standard. No arguments. Its like
English. English is the standard for communication for pilots worldwide, but more people speak Chinese than English, and most people on the planet speak something other than English. That's my point.

Back to Eleven Rack, so If it wasn't a vehicle to get pro tools you would pass on it?
thaks.
Last edited by jokerone at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by dspellman

Not, live, just in the studio. I listened "blindly" to 11R and Amplitude and I thought Amplitude sounded better, but it maybe a personal choice.

thanks!
Just ordered a Line 6 POD HD Pro X. I considered the Eleven Rack, but then I heard it, and it sounded to me....like a lower quality version of guitar rig 5. Don't get me wrong, I love guitar rig, I use it every day, but it sounds like ass for anything other than noodling.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by jokerone
What is that Pi?

yea... lol. i got sick of +1, then +311 became the thing, and i started Pi for the hell of it. some people have picked it up too.

so when you agree just say +3.1415
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i know protools isn't industry standard they use much more advanced software in studios, but i was referring to smaller independent studios for first EP's or albums if they aren't signed or signed under a test.

Eh, no - Pro Tools is VERY MUCH the industry standard.

A lot of smaller studios use Cubase, Logic, Studio One, Sonar, etc. but Pro Tools is still the main recording program of pretty much every major studio I can think of in existence. Most of these studios also have the other big-named DAWs as well, but Pro Tools is still very dominant in the undustry, with Cubase and Logic gradually starting to build up a large user-base as well.

In fact, I'd argue that probably 90% of smaller independent studios, as you say, are not using Pro Tools, as it's the most expensive of the major DAWs out there. As much as I prefer other programs, if I walked into a "professional" studio and saw that they didn't have Pro Tools, I'd really second-guess spending any kind of money with them. Not because Pro Tools is better than the others, but because that studio clearly isn't serious about their craft, by at least supporting the use of the program.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Eh, no - Pro Tools is VERY MUCH the industry standard.

A lot of smaller studios use Cubase, Logic, Studio One, Sonar, etc. but Pro Tools is still the main recording program of pretty much every major studio I can think of in existence. Most of these studios also have the other big-named DAWs as well, but Pro Tools is still very dominant in the undustry, with Cubase and Logic gradually starting to build up a large user-base as well.

In fact, I'd argue that probably 90% of smaller independent studios, as you say, are not using Pro Tools, as it's the most expensive of the major DAWs out there. As much as I prefer other programs, if I walked into a "professional" studio and saw that they didn't have Pro Tools, I'd really second-guess spending any kind of money with them. Not because Pro Tools is better than the others, but because that studio clearly isn't serious about their craft, by at least supporting the use of the program.

interesting, i guess i was wrong. thanks for the info.

i am within a short distance of a college that actually has certifications in pro tools, IIRC just a 24 credit hour two semester deal. i always planned on doing it, just not got around to it. and i already have my degrees.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by RBM01991
Just ordered a Line 6 POD HD Pro X. I considered the Eleven Rack, but then I heard it, and it sounded to me....like a lower quality version of guitar rig 5. Don't get me wrong, I love guitar rig, I use it every day, but it sounds like ass for anything other than noodling.

cool, you answered my question! thanks.
Quote by MatrixClaw
if I walked into a "professional" studio and saw that they didn't have Pro Tools, I'd really second-guess spending any kind of money with them. Not because Pro Tools is better than the others, but because that studio clearly isn't serious about their craft, by at least supporting the use of the program.

Many grammy winners don't use Pro-Tools. As you said, many other DAW formats. This has become Avid's main selling point. What? You don't use Pro-Tools? I assume you don't have any Grey Poupon Dijon mustard in your Bentley either? This is a great psychological marketing ploy by Avid. It tugs at everyone's insecurity about being taken seriously. Its Brilliant!

When The Foo Fighters won their Grammy a few years ago, and the lead singer stood up and looked out at the crowd of Vocoded, Autotuned in the audience and told them that they recorded their album on an old tape machine in his garage, it should be a wakeup to everyone, that its all about the artist and not the brush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqIZa3PTX6c
Last edited by jokerone at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by jokerone
Many grammy winners don't use Pro-Tools. As you said, many other DAW formats. This has become Avid's main selling point. What? You don't use Pro-Tools? I assume you don't have any Grey Poupon Dijon mustard in your Bentley either? This is a great psychological marketing ploy by Avid. It tugs at everyone's insecurity about being taken seriously. Its Brilliant!

When The Foo Fighters won their Grammy a few years ago, and the lead singer stood up and looked out at the crowd of Vocoded, Autotuned in the audience and told them that they recorded their album on an old tape machine in his garage, it should be a wakeup to everyone, that its all about the artist and not the brush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqIZa3PTX6c

And millions of others do. Doesn't mean it isn't found in 90% of the world's professional studios. There will always be guys who want to do it the "pure" and "vintage" ways, because they think recording digital and using plugins won't give them the sound they want - but that doesn't mean the majority of musicians out there are doing it this way.

It really has nothing to do with the actual software and more to do with the fact that it was the only real recording program out there until very recently. Unless it's a very new studio, or a studio on a low budget, there's a very high chance that they will be running a Pro Tools HD system, because (also until recently), most computers weren't able to natively handle the amount of plugins and tracks needed to run on a large-scale project. This had to be processed externally by dedicated rack units, which is why the Pro Tools environment has dominated the recording industry for the majority of the digital age.

Only recently have computers been able to handle massive computing by themselves, of which Avid's response has been Pro Tools Native. Up until recent occurrences of Avid screwing loyal customers by forcing them to pay extremely high prices for upgrades, most professional studios wouldn't have even dreamed of using a different system. Now that computers are getting much more powerful, it's not uncommon to see the smaller studios switching to native systems in Cubase, Logic, etc. but it's also very dumb of them to not have Pro Tools, in at least some fashion - if only for compatibility's sake. Pro Tools still remains the number one DAW that is being taught and certified in college programs, because it is still the most widely used program in the professional environment. While that dominance is certainly being challenged now by all the other great DAWs out there that are, arguably, innovating far quicker than Avid is, it will still be quite some time before the big studios switch, as they already have tens of thousands of dollars (or more) invested in HD systems.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by jokerone
cool, you answered my question! thanks.

Glad I could help
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by MatrixClaw
And millions of others do. Doesn't mean it isn't found in 90% of the world's professional studios. There will always be guys who want to do it the "pure" and "vintage" ways, because they think recording digital and using plugins won't give them the sound they want - but that doesn't mean the majority of musicians out there are doing it this way.

It really has nothing to do with the actual software and more to do with the fact that it was the only real recording program out there until very recently. Unless it's a very new studio, or a studio on a low budget, there's a very high chance that they will be running a Pro Tools HD system, because (also until recently), most computers weren't able to natively handle the amount of plugins and tracks needed to run on a large-scale project. This had to be processed externally by dedicated rack units, which is why the Pro Tools environment has dominated the recording industry for the majority of the digital age.

Only recently have computers been able to handle massive computing by themselves, of which Avid's response has been Pro Tools Native. Up until recent occurrences of Avid screwing loyal customers by forcing them to pay extremely high prices for upgrades, most professional studios wouldn't have even dreamed of using a different system. Now that computers are getting much more powerful, it's not uncommon to see the smaller studios switching to native systems in Cubase, Logic, etc. but it's also very dumb of them to not have Pro Tools, in at least some fashion - if only for compatibility's sake. Pro Tools still remains the number one DAW that is being taught and certified in college programs, because it is still the most widely used program in the professional environment. While that dominance is certainly being challenged now by all the other great DAWs out there that are, arguably, innovating far quicker than Avid is, it will still be quite some time before the big studios switch, as they already have tens of thousands of dollars (or more) invested in HD systems.

A lot of what you say is true. I was at Gearfest last week listening to the seminars by top tier people in the recording industry. I couldn't believe how much they were lamenting the changes. 20 years ago these guys were king. Now they are working out of studios not much larger than yours or mine in their basements and rentals. The reason is money. One of them said the recording company use to send a plane for him to do session work. He said now, if you aren't in the area, they will just find someone else. Many of these studios will never recover their fiscal investments in equipment. He said that we have two generations of people who believe music is free. So the money isn't there anymore.

As to Cubase. I know Hans Zimmer uses it, and not pro tools. perhaps at some level it was pumped into pro tools before mastering, I don't know but all of these film scores going back 25 years were created and mixed with Cubase. Its hard to claim that Mr. Zimmer doesn't take is craft seriously, or that he isn't successful, or that these are "real" efforts as some were claiming.
thanks

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001877/
Last edited by jokerone at Jun 16, 2014,
Quote by jokerone
As to Cubase. I know Hans Zimmer uses it, and not pro tools. perhaps at some level it was pumped into pro tools before mastering, I don't know but all of these film scores going back 25 years were created and mixed with Cubase. Its hard to claim that Mr. Zimmer doesn't take is craft seriously, or that he isn't successful, or that these are "real" efforts as some were claiming.
thanks

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001877/

That's different - Hans is using Cubase for composure, probably with lots of virtual instruments - he's not specifically using it as a recording package in a studio that's recording several different artists on a frequent basis, utilizing real instruments. I'm sure for many of the bigger films he's scored, they recorded live instruments in a symphony hall, but I'm sure Hans wasn't the recording engineer in this instance. There's actually a series of videos on YouTube (or their used to be, at least) where he says that he uses Cubase for composing and mixes and masters in Pro Tools.

There's many artists out there using Cubase, Reason, etc. for scoring and writing via virtual instruments, as they (arguably) have much stronger MIDI capabilities (because that's what they all started out as - digital sequencers). That doesn't mean that the final mixing and mastering wasn't done inside an Avid product.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
That's different - Hans is using Cubase for composure, probably with lots of virtual instruments - he's not specifically using it as a recording package in a studio that's recording several different artists on a frequent basis, utilizing real instruments. I'm sure for many of the bigger films he's scored, they recorded live instruments in a symphony hall, but I'm sure Hans wasn't the recording engineer in this instance. There's actually a series of videos on YouTube (or their used to be, at least) where he says that he uses Cubase for composing and mixes and masters in Pro Tools.

There's many artists out there using Cubase, Reason, etc. for scoring and writing via virtual instruments, as they (arguably) have much stronger MIDI capabilities (because that's what they all started out as - digital sequencers). That doesn't mean that the final mixing and mastering wasn't done inside an Avid product.

I said at some level his work may get pumped into pro tools for mastering or something. Again, Im not against pro-tools. Just stating that being the so called industry standard in 2014 doesn't really mean anything in terms of creativity, or in terms of being successful. I believe this wasn't the case even 5 years ago, but as I found out last weekend things have changed.

found this interesting.
http://www.logicprohelp.com/vip_users.php
getting back to my original point. I've got one person who says that sonically Eleven Rack doesn't stand up to Native Instrument's Guitar Rig 5. I listened to a few examples of 11R and Amplitude 3 on youtube (for what that's worth), and I liked results from Amplitude better, but only slightly.

It sounds like I'll just wait for GR6 to come out.

thanks.
Quote by jokerone
I said at some level his work may get pumped into pro tools for mastering or something. Again, Im not against pro-tools. Just stating that being the so called industry standard in 2014 doesn't really mean anything in terms of creativity, or in terms of being successful. I believe this wasn't the case even 5 years ago, but as I found out last weekend things have changed.

found this interesting.
http://www.logicprohelp.com/vip_users.php

Neither did I.

FWIW, I very much dislike Pro Tools and only use it if I have to - but I still own it, because I know that, if I want to work on projects recorded outside of my own studio, it's just a billion times easier to own the software that most people are using.

Creativity has nothing to do with the subject, really. You can be creative with whatever you have at hand, and being successful has nothing to do with it either - plenty of people have recorded on a tape deck and made it famous... while others have gone to multi-million-dollar studios and sold 2000 copies. My statements are purely based on the recording industry and the professionals working in it, we're not talking about musicians and hobbyists sitting at home on their laptop recording ideas through a POD.

Quote by jokerone
getting back to my original point. I've got one person who says that sonically Eleven Rack doesn't stand up to Native Instrument's Guitar Rig 5. I listened to a few examples of 11R and Amplitude 3 on youtube (for what that's worth), and I liked results from Amplitude better, but only slightly.

It sounds like I'll just wait for GR6 to come out.

thanks.

I'd say it's just as good, if not better, though I'd still probably take a POD HD over it at this point (Line 6 continues to release new updates, while Avid hasn't in quite some time). I own all of the commercial amp sim plugins and GR5 and Amplitube are probably my least favorite of them all.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Neither did I.

FWIW, I very much dislike Pro Tools and only use it if I have to - but I still own it, because I know that, if I want to work on projects recorded outside of my own studio, it's just a billion times easier to own the software that most people are using.

Creativity has nothing to do with the subject, really. You can be creative with whatever you have at hand, and being successful has nothing to do with it either - plenty of people have recorded on a tape deck and made it famous... while others have gone to multi-million-dollar studios and sold 2000 copies. My statements are purely based on the recording industry and the professionals working in it, we're not talking about musicians and hobbyists sitting at home on their laptop recording ideas through a POD.

I'd say it's just as good, if not better, though I'd still probably take a POD HD over it at this point (Line 6 continues to release new updates, while Avid hasn't in quite some time). I own all of the commercial amp sim plugins and GR5 and Amplitube are probably my least favorite of them all.

needless to say, I'm not that pleased with GR5. Its been about 3 years since NI introduced it. Considering it comes with Komplete, its a good deal, however I'm hoping to do better without blowing a ton of cash.

I'm also keeping in mind my actual guitar skills which are somewhere between a chicken bouncing on the strings and a 4 year old kid strumming it.
Quote by jokerone
needless to say, I'm not that pleased with GR5. Its been about 3 years since NI introduced it. Considering it comes with Komplete, its a good deal, however I'm hoping to do better without blowing a ton of cash.

I'm also keeping in mind my actual guitar skills which are somewhere between a chicken bouncing on the strings and a 4 year old kid strumming it.

Have you tried the free ones out there? I find that TSE X50 is so close in tone to my actual 5150, that I rarely ever put up a mic on it anymore
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Have you tried the free ones out there? I find that TSE X50 is so close in tone to my actual 5150, that I rarely ever put up a mic on it anymore

no I haven't. Just listened to it on youtube. I might have not mentioned, I'm sort of a clean tone guy. nothing too heavy.

thanks
Quote by jokerone
no I haven't. Just listened to it on youtube. I might have not mentioned, I'm sort of a clean tone guy. nothing too heavy.

thanks

Try Lepou LeXTAC

Some guys like the LE456, too. I've heard a lot of guys just plugging straight into the board and EQing and adding effects from there, no amp sim at all. Personally, I'm not huge on this approach, but it works well for bass, so I don't see why it wouldn't work well for clean guitars if you put some time into it, either.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Try Lepou LeXTAC

Some guys like the LE456, too. I've heard a lot of guys just plugging straight into the board and EQing and adding effects from there, no amp sim at all. Personally, I'm not huge on this approach, but it works well for bass, so I don't see why it wouldn't work well for clean guitars if you put some time into it, either.

ok, thanks!