Hi everyone it's my first post so newbie here I'm looking to put new pickups in my epiphone sg special would like to get a sound like duane allman and dickey betts I like to play blues and southern rock and slide guitar so any recommendations or advice would be very welcome
Last edited by paulbarwell at Jun 13, 2014,
i'm guessing you want paf-types

what's your amp?

what's your budget? it's up to you, and maybe it has sentimental value if it's your first guitar, but if it doesn't i wouldn't put too much money into pickups for a cheap guitar (though I suppose you could always take them out and put the old pickups back in if you ever sell it).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hi it's not my first guitar I also have a strat and a telecaster for my country playing my amp is a fender blues jr . It's just a cheap SG I got from eBay and want to pimp it up for blues and slide guitar and it doesn't have to be paf type pickups
I play blues and folk slide on electric and agree with what Dave Mc says - the amp is important, and low to medium output pickups are the best choice - but aimed at suiting the amp.

However, I'm more in favour of pickup swapping, because I see the (electric) guitar as not much more than a fancy lump of wood that holds the pickups - and these are often the weak point on inexpensive guitars. I've got one guitar in which the pickups are worth more than the rest of the guitar, and four others in which they are a significant component of the value. The downside is that you won't revover the cost on resale, so it plays to plan on keeping the good pickups and putting in cheapos (or the originals) if selling.

GFS sell a good range of inexpensive pickups, and I have bought several sets of their Retrotrons in both single coil and humbucker and liked them a lot. In a higher price bracket I would be looking at PAF-style Seymour Duncans or DiMarzios. I happen to like SD Jazz because they are very bright, but others I might choose are in this range:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/vintage-output/index.php?page=2

But not with covers!
Thanks tony I don't think I'm going to sell the guitar as I'm want it set up for my style of playing I was looking at the Seymour Duncan 59 model SH-1 or pearly gates
Thanks tony I think I'm going to go with the pearly gate now to find a store that sells them
Quote by paulbarwell
Hi it's not my first guitar I also have a strat and a telecaster for my country playing my amp is a fender blues jr . It's just a cheap SG I got from eBay and want to pimp it up for blues and slide guitar and it doesn't have to be paf type pickups

no worries

yeah that amp should be fine

when i said "paf types" i just meant that as a style of pickup which would work for the tones you wanted, I didn't mean genuine PAFs from the 1950s, lol.

the 59s or the pearly gates should work well, yeah- like tony said, I could be happy with either of those for the tones you wanted. the PGs are a little raunchier (probably) but they're both paf-style pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks Dave mc thank you all for your help I'm gonna go with the pearly gates sould I put them on both bridge and neck or go for something different ?
Last edited by paulbarwell at Jun 14, 2014,
It's up to you, really. According to the Duncan Tone Chart there's both a neck and bridge version of the PG, so if you like the tone they should (presumably, I don't think I've tried the set) balance fine.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by paulbarwell
Thanks Dave mc thank you all for your help I'm gonna go with the pearly gates sould I put them on both bridge and neck or go for something different ?

If you play electric slide you might end up mostly using the neck pickup - as I do. Have you looked at the SD tone comparison chart? -

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones

It might give you some ideas.

The detailed choice depends to some extent on the tonal qualities of of the guitar. Just as an example, I have SD Jazz in two entirely different sounding guitars, one is very bright and zingy, the other warm and dark sounding. The Jazz sound perfect in the bright one as is, but in the dark one I found that I prefer the tone with the coils in parallel or single mode. - And this is through a very bright amp. The point I'm trying to make is that fine tuning comes down to small differences that really need hands-on experience with the particular guitar and amp. As another example, a local luthier told me that when Paul Reed Smith was a working luthier, he chose the pickups to suit individual guitars, bright ones in warm guitars and vice versa. FWIW, I would likely go for the Pearly Gates in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. A popular combination is JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck, but I tried a JB and didn't like it at all for clean sounds in series mode. - I traded it within a few weeks
^ yeah i'd say a jb is too hot for what he wants. it's very popular- but i suspect because it works for a wide variety of music, plus it's the pickup everyone has heard of (which sort of becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, much like with celestions vintage 30 speaker- companies put it in everything because guitarists recognise it as being a mark of quality... which leads to more and more guitarists only being familiar with that model. etc. etc.).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they have a good rep but i haven't tried them

if you're in the UK oilcity pickups, mojo (northern ireland, there's a dearer mojo in england too) and catswhisker are handwound and a bit cheaper. again, haven't tried but they get a good rep too. jesse loureiro (jl pickups) in spain has pretty cheap pickups too which again are handwound and which have a good rep... again, haven't tried them
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I got a cheap epiphone goth Les Paul with a sh1 in the neck, and a burstbucker 3 in the bridge. I just played it through a blues Jr. Last weekend, and it sounded amazing. Even the amp owner couldn't put the guitar down, and he has a huge collection. In my opinion you can't go wrong with the sh1 in the neck of a mahogany epiphone. That burstbucker 3 balances nicely wit it, too.
i really like the neck 59

actually i like most of the duncan vintage-style pickups i've tried. it's the more modern ones i'm not so fond of
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd go with PAF style pickups. Duncan 59 or Seth Lover. The 59 will be brighter and more cutting while the Seth Lover would be more midheavy and spongey
Not taking any online orders.