so, i noticed that the rings or whatever on my fender jaguar (if that matters) were getting loose, so i brought it into the shop today and they added some piece that i cannot identify, and now the guitar won't work through the amp. i just wanted it to be tightened, i wasn't expecting them to add some piece and ruin it.

the piece is about 1cm tall, and it's metal and hollow, like a ring, and has ridges. it is poking out of the nut (i think that's what it's called) in the output jack thing.

the guitar worked fine through an amp before they added this, i'm not sure why adding it happened or why adding it caused it to not work.

any suggestions? i tried figuring out what the piece is through the internet, but nothing to be found.
Pix?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
sounds like they added a locking type washer to keep the nut from spinning loose again...maybe when they added it they didn't resolder the wires to the jack properly. Or if they didn't unsolder and the washer is on the external part of the jack, then they may have tightened the nut to far and it spun the jack and broke the solder connection inside.
Quote by 666jason666
so, i noticed that the rings or whatever on my fender jaguar (if that matters) were getting loose, so i brought it into the shop today and they added some piece that i cannot identify, and now the guitar won't work through the amp. i just wanted it to be tightened, i wasn't expecting them to add some piece and ruin it.

the piece is about 1cm tall, and it's metal and hollow, like a ring, and has ridges. it is poking out of the nut (i think that's what it's called) in the output jack thing.

the guitar worked fine through an amp before they added this, i'm not sure why adding it happened or why adding it caused it to not work.

any suggestions? i tried figuring out what the piece is through the internet, but nothing to be found.

Does it look like this below? Like... Does the ring you see resemble the threads on the jack below? It could be they replaced your output jack with a les paul type which is longer (for thicker tops) and it's sticking out a bit. If that isn't it... I have no clue.

When in doubt take it back and make them rework it.

Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 13, 2014,
The ring is a locking washer and has nothing to do with your non function issue. As Spud said... Take it back!
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77