I took guitar lessons years ago, and my teacher moved after a few months, so I never learned to play in time. I taught myself except for the very early basics I learned in lessons. It has been years and I cannot play in time, even long enough to record an 8 bar loop. I have no idea how to learn to do this, and I'm having lots of trouble. So

1. Is it too late to break the habit

2. Will it be harder than usual because I waited so long

3. How will I go about doing this (different excersises)?

4. How long/ much practice will it take.

I am eager to get to recording.
Any feedback is welcome.
If you have guitar pro it could be really useful for timing. I know it helped me. I taught my self about quarter notes, eight notes, sixteen notes, triplet feel, dotted notes, playing in groupings of 5, odd time siganTures, etc. Its going to take a while to undo the damage to your technique but nothing a little practice can't fix. Use a metronome or better yet a drum machine of you can't get one or you can do both on guitar pro5. Learn about time siganTures,how many notes can you fit into a bar
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
not being able to play in time isn't a "habit" as much of an "inability". it's like saying a soccer player has the habit of not kicking the ball.

i second practicing to a metronome. you have to learn how to internalize an underlying tempo.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Flame away but the first step is feeling the music, moving your head to it, and letting it flow through you.
I don't understand this thread because you've been playing all these years, and still can't manage to play in time? Man there's nothing in this world more offensively sounding than a person that can't keep in time no offense to you of course.

I remember a thread where I posted something similar to what I will post here, but as I cannot recall what or where it was I will be brief.

In short, walk your music. Walk everything. The moment our species learned to walk on two legs we developed ourselves an interest in rhythmical music that is with us until this day. Every dance you find requires you to at its base simply place one, or sometimes two steps per beat. It is just walking, but with a flair. A person, unless crippled can scarcely not walk in time.

So do the same with your music. Try playing one note at the same time of placing a foot. Then two notes per step, three, and so on. Then try to vary these. First two, then three. Then five and two again.

Do this and you will reach your goal quite easily. If your find yourself stuck again, find a certified teacher as someone with good ears will likely be able to tell you where to start and what to do.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
1. Is it too late to break the habit

No it is never to late to start breaking any habits! Espically if they are bad habits or not what you want. Only develop habits you like and want. This goes for all habits in life not just guitar. Ok not in time. New habit always in time and just stick with that. It is a decision really that you will have to make no one else.

2. Will it be harder than usual because I waited so long

The only thing would be the focus and sticking to your new habit.

3. How will I go about doing this (different excersises)?

Play what you want but always in time by using a form of constant time device such as a metronome or something. Start slow and build up slowly!

4. How long/ much practice will it take.

As much as you need. The more you put in the more you get out. The more in time the more you play in time. That is an universial law in life.

I am eager to get to recording.

Depending on the music you will find that being in and on time is crucial in a recording situation but record where you are is a good idea to see where you are currently and 3 months later based on your new habit of always playing in time.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Jun 14, 2014,
Tap your foot. Best invention in music. Instinct will take over eventually.
Get a drum machine or drum program and always practice along with it. I only play with no accompaniment if I'm just starting to learn a song and can't even play the notes with any sort of timing yet. Once I get things flowing the very next thing I do is to play along with the backing track and get it smoothed out. I'd much rather play something in time but miss a bunch of notes than to hit every note perfectly but have it be way out of time. Nothing sounds worse than that.

If you're playing along with a song, put in in Audacity or Reaper or whatever you're using and you can change the tempo to whatever you want and always practice in time.