Page 1 of 2
I just sold my amp ( cheap fender frontman) because I really want a tube amp. I play a lot of blues//garage rock type music ( white stripes, raconteurs, black keys, ) im also into some older stuff like muddy, Hendrix, and SRV ( I play a lot more of the modern stuff tho because I feel like its a little easier to grasp with more power and barre chords and such

Im really just looking for suggestions because right now all I really know is fender stuff. Iv looked into the super champ xd and blues jr. and out of those 2 I think I would pick the blues jr. But I don't really need something that big, I don't plan on gigging any time soon, but fender doesn't currently make anything smaller that I know of. Someone suggested looking into other brands, but I really don't know where to start. my max budget is like 350 ish but would prefer closer to 200 if possible. Thanks for any suggestions guys
If you like Jack White-ish tones you may be able to find an older Epiphone Electar for $120 or so. I love that amp*for dirty, nasty blues/garagerock. Its literally the only type tone its good for though. But Epiphone makes a few other budget tube amps you may wanna check out. Valve Jrs are sweet, the Blues Custom 30 may work well for you and they tend to go for bout $175-200. Peavey Windsor and the other Peavey jcm 800 wannabe.

If you can spend $350 you're in Peavey Classic/Tube 60 and Egnater Tweaker/Rebel (maybe) territory.

(jet city)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
awesome stuff guys, thanks a lot lucky. Like I said im going to do a lot of research, I just needed to know where to start. Now I have plenty of reviews to look up! thanks a ton
I should note I'm talking used prices. There's more variety in the used market and you can get much better gear for your $s. Guitar Center's used site/section even has a 30 day return policy. And don't forget to check craigslist if you're in the US ( which I'm assuming you are...isn't everybody? )
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I should note I'm talking used prices. There's more variety in the used market and you can get much better gear for your $s. Guitar Center's used site/section even has a 30 day return policy. And don't forget to check craigslist if you're in the US ( which I'm assuming you are...isn't everybody? )

yep man im doing that as we speak, I actually only buy music gear used, or try to at least. Im stingy and id rather get better quality pre owned than lesser quality brand new. And I really like the look of the epiphone valve jr that you suggested. 5 watts is actually all I really need right now because im in an apartment and im not jamming with drums. I got that fender frontman because I knew nothing at the time and it looked cool and I thought oh wow 25 watts for only 100 dollars, that's awesome. Then I realize I can only turn the damn thing up to 1 in my apartment or it shakes the floor lol. (not to mention it doesn't sound well for my type of music) so iv been playing mostly on my honeytone and the little portable marshall equivalent.

Going to hit up guitar center in the morning and hope to find one of those, or something similar. If nothing there, I already locked onto one on craigslist about an hour away.
Quote by lucky1978

also one more question. I am not familiar with this modding thing that people do to the valve jrs. I see a lot about it in reviews but no one really goes into detail how to do it, or why they do it. The ones on ebay all say they are modded. the one on craigslist says not modded. Which should I go for. And if I end up getting an unmodded one, and eventually want to mod it.. Would I be able to do it myself or is it something that a guitar tech would need to open it up and do ?
Quote by Seven7hSon
also one more question. I am not familiar with this modding thing that people do to the valve jrs. I see a lot about it in reviews but no one really goes into detail how to do it, or why they do it. The ones on ebay all say they are modded. the one on craigslist says not modded. Which should I go for. And if I end up getting an unmodded one, and eventually want to mod it.. Would I be able to do it myself or is it something that a guitar tech would need to open it up and do ?

Some of the modifications you may be able to make yourself, others might be out of your depth. It really all depends on your knowledge of electronics and skill with a soldering iron. If you haven't ever worked on electronics before, I would stay away from opening it up and doing anything I was not totally sure I could do. There are areas inside a tube amp that can carry fatal levels of current.

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by jb_designs
Some of the modifications you may be able to make yourself, others might be out of your depth. It really all depends on your knowledge of electronics and skill with a soldering iron. If you haven't ever worked on electronics before, I would stay away from opening it up and doing anything I was not totally sure I could do. There are areas inside a tube amp that can carry fatal levels of current.

fatal levels of current? yep, don't have to tell me twice. I wont be opening anything up ahaha. I have no problem paying a professional to do that. But im still wondering why this valvr jr in particular is so highly modded. seems like almost every one of them says modded except the only one for sale in my area on craigslist. Makes me think its an important mod and as much as I want to go get it first thing tomorrow, maybe it would be worth buying one already modded online and waiting for the shipping time. Anyone have personal experience with the valvr jr in particular and why the majority of people feel the need to mod it in some way? maybe just boost the volume some way or something?
Quote by Seven7hSon

First off let me say, I love my lil Epi VJr. Mine is modded (I think its called the "master volume mod") so I can actually get a crunchy tone at tv volume. I paid bout $100 for the amp and another $50 for the mod and retube. Sweet lil amp. I don't dabble too much with modding myself yet, I payed someone else to do it. I've seen/played one absolutely covered in switches and knobs. Fun for a bit but I like simplicity.

If there's a cool local shop near you, I'd say grab the vjr off craigslist. Try it for a few days and then take it to the shop and tell them what mods you want, if any. You're probly still gonna want a fuzz or sd1ish pedal for dirty blues and garagerock.
i think a Peavey Classic 30 would be good for your overall. i often recommend it, but for the money its hard to beat for a bluesy garage rock type of tone to a nice edge of brakeup. if you need anything heaver throw a tube screamer out front and it opens it even more.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
On the cheap end, I would say look for a Crate V33, they're good for that kinda stuff. They can be found under $200 on guitar center if you're patient.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
On the cheap end, I would say look for a Crate V33, they're good for that kinda stuff. They can be found under $200 on guitar center if you're patient.

slightly off topic, does crate exist anymore? i know they changed to blackheart, but i never see them. or maybe i am looking in the wrong places.

haven't played one so cannot further assist.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
just straight up tone for the $$$... I'd go with a Peavey Classic 30.

2nd would be a tie with Jet City and Egnater
Quote by cheesefries
just straight up tone for the $$$... I'd go with a Peavey Classic 30.

2nd would be a tie with Jet City and Egnater

+3.1415. i would take egnater over jet city in general. i have owned several jet city's and egnaters, i would look into egnater first IMO. i wasn't impressed by the jet city amps i owned.

i have heard rumor of egnater issues but i never had one or really seen one.

i had three JCA2112RC's die on me either at the door or five minutes later. so i wasn't very happy.

i had a JCA50 and just flat didn't like it. i tried it through a minimum five cabs, and every boost i had and i coudn't get what i wanted out of it.

i shall leave that for you to research.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
slightly off topic, does crate exist anymore? i know they changed to blackheart, but i never see them. or maybe i am looking in the wrong places.

haven't played one so cannot further assist.

From my understanding they do, but the Crate name is reserved for only SS amps now and the BH is the valve line.

the site is till up, but it seems to be a few years out of date www.crateamps.com/products/findex.php?catID=1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
pro junior?

the excelsior would work for the garage rock stuff, but watch the qc on them. a lot of them rattle.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
From my understanding they do, but the Crate name is reserved for only SS amps now and the BH is the valve line.

the site is till up, but it seems to be a few years out of date www.crateamps.com/products/findex.php?catID=1

yea they seem way out of date. most recent thing i could find was 2008. i knew blackheart was the tube line, they weren't bad for the money (IIRC) but i don't see new ones, nor anything Crate.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
just to update everyone. i contacted some people about buying the valve jr combo amp vers 3 and almost got one but then i found a valve jr ( cab and head) version for a few bucks more ( paid 160) and i am extremely happy with it. thanks for the help guys
Quote by Seven7hSon
just to update everyone. i contacted some people about buying the valve jr combo amp vers 3 and almost got one but then i found a valve jr ( cab and head) version for a few bucks more ( paid 160) and i am extremely happy with it. thanks for the help guys

HNAD! The Valve Jr is a damn fine lil practice amp! What it lacks in features it makes up for in tone and slick aesthetics.

What kinda tube is in the preamp? Mine sounds killer with an old GE 12ax7. I also like a jj 12at7 for a smoother flavor. Also, mine really likes a Boss SD1 in front too
Quote by lucky1978
HNAD! The Valve Jr is a damn fine lil practice amp! What it lacks in features it makes up for in tone and slick aesthetics.

What kinda tube is in the preamp? Mine sounds killer with an old GE 12ax7. I also like a jj 12at7 for a smoother flavor. Also, mine really likes a Boss SD1 in front too

hmm im not sure what im looking at but i shine a light thru the back and the bulb has sov-tek on it. made in russia. the number is EL84/6QB5 . sorry i know nothing about all these electronics. for the longest time i played guitar hooked up to a little practice honeytone amp lol. But i love the sound this thing is putting off, very happy with it for the price. plus the aesthetics of it as well. Im going to look up reviews of that boss sd1, cause im looking for some more pedals. All i have right now is a big muff.
that is the power tube it is an EL84 made by Sovtek, the EL84 is probably the best new EL84 in production now.

There is a 12ax7 under the metal cap that looks like a cylinder. This is the preamp tube
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
that is the power tube it is an EL84 made by Sovtek, the EL84 is probably the best new EL84 in production now.

There is a 12ax7 under the metal cap that looks like a cylinder. This is the preamp tube

how do i open this thing up to see back there ?
see the little notch you turn it and it slides off
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
see the little notch you turn it and it slides off

i meant the back to the actual head. Its like riveted or something, not screws holding it on. Can i jus use a knife or flathead to pry the back piece off ? Sorry for sounding stupid, i googled it first but found nothing
There are phillips screws on the back you remove those and then there are 4 on the top of the head if you need to remove the chassis (which I advise if your swapping tubes)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
There are phillips screws on the back you remove those and then there are 4 on the top of the head if you need to remove the chassis (which I advise if your swapping tubes)

Ok thanks a lot man, Ya i feel like an idiot but what happen was whoever i bought it from, did not put the screws back in. so it looked like rivets because when i tugged on it , it didnt budge so i thought it was rivetted on and im like wtf.. i dont have any tools to get this damn thing off... haha but yea i used a butter knife and pryed it open. I have a sovtek tube under that metal cylinder cap. So whats this mean, better or worse then the other brands, and when these tubs finally go out which would be the better ones to replace them with ?
If it is a Sovtek 12ax7lps then it is a decent tube, if it has any other code on it, it is crap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Now you can start collecting preamp tubes. Different brands and kinds will change the tone of the amp a lil bit. A jj 12at7 is good for that amp if you want it to sound a lil smoother and darker. An old RCA 12ax7 kinda "takes the blanket off" the amp. It'll sound more open but cuts out a lot of the fizz you can probably hear on the amp now if its cranked enough. A 12at7 cuts out a lot of the fizz too.

Jj tubes are always a good way to go but theres no harm in collecting a bunch and screwing around til you find that magical tone.

Its good to have back up tubes.
Quote by Robbgnarly
If it is a Sovtek 12ax7lps then it is a decent tube, if it has any other code on it, it is crap.

hmm i couldnt see the other writing on it the way it was positioned. tomorrow il prolly take it back apart and unscrew the tube (assuming i can do this) to see what exact sovtek tube it is

thanks again man. iv learned so damn much in this thread between you, lucky, and the other guys. I dont normally ask too many questions on forums because i feel lazy not researching my questions thru google, but its hard to find a lot of specifics on stuff like this.
Quote by lucky1978
Now you can start collecting preamp tubes. Different brands and kinds will change the tone of the amp a lil bit. A jj 12at7 is good for that amp if you want it to sound a lil smoother and darker. An old RCA 12ax7 kinda "takes the blanket off" the amp. It'll sound more open but cuts out a lot of the fizz you can probably hear on the amp now if its cranked enough. A 12at7 cuts out a lot of the fizz too.

Jj tubes are always a good way to go but theres no harm in collecting a bunch and screwing around til you find that magical tone.

Its good to have back up tubes.

Nice man, thanks, blows my mind. I always assumed that a tubes brand didnt matter much and if it was a certain size then it would be the same as another brand of the certain size. Now i can start keeping an eye on them on ebay or something and when i find a good deal, il scoop it up. I like slowly gaining a collection over time, going after good deals instead of waiting till i need something right away and having to settle for overpriced stuff ya know :P
Quote by Seven7hSon
hmm i couldnt see the other writing on it the way it was positioned. tomorrow il prolly take it back apart and unscrew the tube (assuming i can do this) to see what exact sovtek tube it is

thanks again man. iv learned so damn much in this thread between you, lucky, and the other guys. I dont normally ask too many questions on forums because i feel lazy not researching my questions thru google, but its hard to find a lot of specifics on stuff like this.

Tubes do not unscrew, they are pulled directly out. You may have to wiggle the tube a little to get it to move, but you pull them out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

i managed to get tubes swapped in mine without removing the chassis. it was a bit awkward, though.

IIRC i went with a JJ el84 and a tungsol 12ax7- the jj to smooth the power tube od and the tungsol to brighten things a bit. I could well be misremembering, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 16, 2014,
Quote by CarsonStevens
One thing I love about my VJr. is how well it takes pedals. I've upgraded to a Tiny Terror combo, but I recorded my first EP on the Valve. Got a lot of mileage out of that thing. Enjoy!

any pedals in particular you would recommend ? i have a muff pedal right now. I was thinking something like some kind of EQ pedal sense the amp only doesnt have those settings it self ? but i dont know. right now i pretty much use 2 sounds with it at moment. either clean or i click the muff pedal on and get that fuzzy crunch. which is good for most of the music i like but i figure it doesnt hurt to have a few more well rounded sounds.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i managed to get tubes swapped in mine without removing the chassis. it was a bit awkward, though.

IIRC i went with a JJ el84 and a tungsol 12ax7- the jj to smooth the power tube od and the tungsol to brighten things a bit. I could well be misremembering, though.

You have a team of leprechaun's for you in NI though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Aren't Sovtek EL84's a bit dodgey in a cathode biased amp, Rob? I use JJ's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

They might be, I know that some of the sovtek 12ax7's are that way in a cathode follower position.

I'm not real versed with EL84's, all my amps are 5881/6l6 or EL34 types. I do know JJ is soposed to be the most robust new production EL84
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You have a team of leprechaun's for you in NI though

Quote by Cathbard

I dunno... IIRC i think my VJ came stock with a sovtek el84. single-enders are normally cathode-biased, aren't they? or maybe i'm confusing concepts, i know you don't need to bias them anyway normally since you don't have the split phase thing going on like you do in push-pulls...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2