Hey, looking to get some new tubes for my amp as I don't have any spares and wouldn't mind treating to something a bit better considering I use it almost exclusively now.

Amp is a Marshall Slash SL5 and currently running the stock tubes. It's a fairly toppy amp, which I like, so something to accentuate the top end would be nice. Uses a single EL34 and 3x ECC83's.

In terms of price, I'm pretty flexible. Let's set the bar at ~$120 for the lot. I know that JJ's are the bog standard, but if NOS valves are really going to be that much different then I could go for some.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Check out an old RCA 12ax7 if you can. From my experience (not much) the RCA seems bright but in a really musical way. If you're amp has a thick sound it'll stay thick, but add a lil shine. It seems to work well for crispy gain too. I got mine for $30 used but it still sounds good.

I really like old GE 12ax7s too. I have a handful of those now ($12-20). I wouldn't say they're bright or dark, they sound deeper and more lively and growl-y than other tubes I've tried.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20