New here. I am looking for a new guitar probably up to $2000. Unless i really like it then i am willing to buck up. I am an alright player but i know nothing about guitars. Currently i have been playing a friends taylor and an art and lutherie. I like the taylor more, the playability is fantastic. I was looking through taylor's website and they have quite a few different styles. Was wondering if anybody has any input on taylor's, and their body styles? I strum and fingerpick. I have also been looking at cole clarks, matons, and guild. Anybody have any experience with any of these, especially cole clarks? Any other good acoustic companies to think about? Problem with some of these companies like cole clark is it would be hard for me to play it before i buy it. Any help is appreciated!
GA - balanced
GS - more bass, fuller sound
GC - lots of resonance

lots of good guitar companies around. martin, eastman, larrivee, guild (love the GAD series - good guitars at a very good price), and i love cole clark. have only tried a couple matons, and they didn't blow me away, but that's just my personal taste. the new gibson J15 is priced right and sounds nice, with a little of that classic J45 growl, and the J35 is nice, too. if you can find a used santa cruz, i love them. and breedlove is worth trying out if you can find them.

all that being said, if you're a finger picker, do you know what nut size(s) is comfortable for your playing? a lot of guitars have the 1 11/16" nut that i find tight for fingerstyle...
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
fingerstylists love the clarity of the smaller GC series. it's a decent light strummer but it tends to break down easy with heavier strumming.
the GA with it's slightly larger body strums much better and can still play fingerstyle well.
the GS(my favorite size) is a fantastic strummer that does an very good job with fingerstyle.
and finally, the GO is a cannon when strummed. it can be used for fingerstyle but it sounds kinda muted with individual notes.
so basically, the larger the body the better it is for strumming. I like the GS body. it captures the best of both. it can be played fingerstyle with great clarity and it's excellent for strumming, giving out great bass response while still being able to carry individual notes.
my personal favorite... the 616ce. I have one in maple and onther with ebony back and sides. the drawback with the maple one is that to me, it isn't very good in alternate tunings. the bass strings sound dead unless tuned in standard.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
i'm a fingerstylist, and i do love the GC's - especially the GC8 and the maple b&s model (which one was that again?)
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
i'm a fingerstylist, and i do love the GC's - especially the GC8 and the maple b&s model (which one was that again?)

Quote by patticake

all that being said, if you're a finger picker, do you know what nut size(s) is comfortable for your playing? a lot of guitars have the 1 11/16" nut that i find tight for fingerstyle...

I have been playing on a 1 3/4 nut that i like for strumming and finger style. So if i were looking for an all around guitar, would you recommend the GA or the GS? I have seen so many mixed opinions. I have yet to go to the local shop and play them, which is a problem. I really want to play a cole clark too. Could you tell me the differences between the GA or the GS and the cole clark FL1?
I can't really recommend it just for the simple fact that I've yet to try it......
in the Taylor line, the 526ce seems to be the perfect guitar for both. I'm at work at the moment ( I sometimes spend a couple of months at a time out of the country working), but as soon as I get home I'm on the hunt for a 526ce to try and hopefully add to my little taylor family.
Quote by stepchildusmc
I can't really recommend it just for the simple fact that I've yet to try it......
in the Taylor line, the 526ce seems to be the perfect guitar for both. I'm at work at the moment ( I sometimes spend a couple of months at a time out of the country working), but as soon as I get home I'm on the hunt for a 526ce to try and hopefully add to my little taylor family.

Wow. What a good looking guitar. The one mahogany guitar i played was a bit to bold for me, as i tend to be a brighter player, but i know on the taylors that the highs come out a bit. Definitely a cool guitar either way.
Last edited by wlubeck11 at Jun 16, 2014,
yeah. 'Hog is becoming increasingly popular as of late. I love the mellowness of it compared to spruce. it still has the trademark taylor brightness. it's just much warmer. I have 3 'hog guitars( a 324, a 000-15M and a Fender Hellcat deluxe) and the 324 get most of my lap time but I do wish it had a bit more depth and volume...that's where the lust for the 526ce comes in !
Quote by stepchildusmc
yeah. 'Hog is becoming increasingly popular as of late. I love the mellowness of it compared to spruce. it still has the trademark taylor brightness. it's just much warmer. I have 3 'hog guitars( a 324, a 000-15M and a Fender Hellcat deluxe) and the 324 get most of my lap time but I do wish it had a bit more depth and volume...that's where the lust for the 526ce comes in !

How do you like the GA? Have you tried the GS? If yes how would you compare them
I have some of each. I prefer the larger GS. IMO, the most versatile body style by taylor unless, like Patti, you're a predominately a fingerstyle player. if that were so, the smaller GC would probably be what you want followed by the medium sized GA.