Hello UG. I'm back.
(Who the frack are you? You all say.)

Anyways...

As the thread title says, I'm getting God-awful noise that comes and goes when recording. Actually, it's not just when recording. I could just have my DAW open and be playing back a backing track loaded into it, or just monitoring myself playing guitar before I record.

Until I can catch this noise in an actual recording, I'll try explaining what happens for now.

After about 3 to 5 minutes of having my DAW open, I'll start hearing a popping sound start out slow and weak, then gradually gets faster and louder until it eventually turns into an interference/ almost crackling white noise, that takes over and drowns out all sound and will last for about 30 to 60 seconds until it gradually fades out.

I've done some troubleshooting so far and have eliminated some things.

1st- I was using a Crate Profiler 5 as an Interface.(I'm pretty poor, so new equipment isn't really an option unless it's absolutely necessary . I pretty much have to use what's available.) I then borrowed a TASCAM US-122mkII which I used to have a couple years ago and gave me zero problems. When I switched, the interference went from every 5 minutes to once after about 20 minutes, but then I stopped playing for the day and haven't been able to check the frequency of the noise since. At first I thought for sure that the audio interface change would fix the problem, as I thought using the TASCAM would take the pressure off of the PC's processors (I was told a couple years ago, by the salesman at Long & McQuade when I bought my TASCAM, that it functions as a external sound card), but alas it only delayed the noise for awhile.

2nd- When the noise kicks in while I'm recording, it doesn't record the noise. I could keep on playing (if I could hear myself at all and/or the backing track) and play back the recording once the interference fades out again, and the recording will sound fine.
So, I'm hearing this noise in my headphones (which were plugged into both the laptops headphone output, and the TASCAM's headphone output), but it's not going through the DAW from what I can tell.

If ANYBODY can give me any advice or idea what this could possibly be, I'd be forever grateful! I'm very stumped atm! I'll be hooking up the TASCAM interface and recording again as soon as I post this, so I might have more info soon, and maybe a recording of this noise if I can catch it with an outside recorder. (I might have to record it in a video from my digital camera.)

So here's what I'm using if it helps;
(PS: I've used all of this hardware and software before for 2 years and never ever had this problem or any noise/interference/popping/crackling problem. The only different piece in the whole equation is the computer I'm using, listed below)

DAW: Cubase 5

Audio Interface: TASCAM US-122mkII AND/OR CRATE Profiler 5

Guitar Software: Shredsuite 1.06 (Noise happens without it either way)

My Laptop Specs
Model: HP Pavilion dv3-1077ca
Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (2.75 Usable)
System Type: 32-bit

Sound Devices:
- Microsoft, High Definition Audio Device (Driver Date: 11/20/2010)
- IDT High Definition Audio Codec (Driver Date: 3/23/2010)

Well that's it, that's all I got for now.
Sorry for the long post. I didn't want to leave anything out for anyone who might be able to help me.

Thanks to all of you in advance for your time.

And it's fan-fricken-tastic to be back in the
best
community
on

the
entire

INTERNET!!!
(Seriously!)
Sincerely,
JudgeDrey
Quote by JudgeDrey
Hello UG. I'm back.
(Who the frack are you? You all say.)

Anyways...

As the thread title says, I'm getting God-awful noise that comes and goes when recording. Actually, it's not just when recording. I could just have my DAW open and be playing back a backing track loaded into it, or just monitoring myself playing guitar before I record.

Until I can catch this noise in an actual recording, I'll try explaining what happens for now.

After about 3 to 5 minutes of having my DAW open, I'll start hearing a popping sound start out slow and weak, then gradually gets faster and louder until it eventually turns into an interference/ almost crackling white noise, that takes over and drowns out all sound and will last for about 30 to 60 seconds until it gradually fades out.

I've done some troubleshooting so far and have eliminated some things.

1st- I was using a Crate Profiler 5 as an Interface.(I'm pretty poor, so new equipment isn't really an option unless it's absolutely necessary . I pretty much have to use what's available.) I then borrowed a TASCAM US-122mkII which I used to have a couple years ago and gave me zero problems. When I switched, the interference went from every 5 minutes to once after about 20 minutes, but then I stopped playing for the day and haven't been able to check the frequency of the noise since. At first I thought for sure that the audio interface change would fix the problem, as I thought using the TASCAM would take the pressure off of the PC's processors (I was told a couple years ago, by the salesman at Long & McQuade when I bought my TASCAM, that it functions as a external sound card), but alas it only delayed the noise for awhile.

2nd- When the noise kicks in while I'm recording, it doesn't record the noise. I could keep on playing (if I could hear myself at all and/or the backing track) and play back the recording once the interference fades out again, and the recording will sound fine.
So, I'm hearing this noise in my headphones (which were plugged into both the laptops headphone output, and the TASCAM's headphone output), but it's not going through the DAW from what I can tell.

If ANYBODY can give me any advice or idea what this could possibly be, I'd be forever grateful! I'm very stumped atm! I'll be hooking up the TASCAM interface and recording again as soon as I post this, so I might have more info soon, and maybe a recording of this noise if I can catch it with an outside recorder. (I might have to record it in a video from my digital camera.)

So here's what I'm using if it helps;
(PS: I've used all of this hardware and software before for 2 years and never ever had this problem or any noise/interference/popping/crackling problem. The only different piece in the whole equation is the computer I'm using, listed below)

DAW: Cubase 5

Audio Interface: TASCAM US-122mkII AND/OR CRATE Profiler 5

Guitar Software: Shredsuite 1.06 (Noise happens without it either way)

My Laptop Specs
Model: HP Pavilion dv3-1077ca
Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB (2.75 Usable)
System Type: 32-bit

Sound Devices:
- Microsoft, High Definition Audio Device (Driver Date: 11/20/2010)
- IDT High Definition Audio Codec (Driver Date: 3/23/2010)

Well that's it, that's all I got for now.
Sorry for the long post. I didn't want to leave anything out for anyone who might be able to help me.

Thanks to all of you in advance for your time.

And it's fan-fricken-tastic to be back in the
best
community
on

the
entire

INTERNET!!!
(Seriously!)
Sincerely,
JudgeDrey

Have you looked into your latency settings? Asio drivers are a MUST. Im running 208 samples to get rid of all the pops.

google search asio4all and or go into your daws preferences and raise the sample rate.
Last edited by siksenserecords at Jun 14, 2014,
Thanks for the reply.

I've used Asio4All, and the Tascam. Same with both.

Also don't forget, I'm not talking about random pop's and crackles during recording. This is one long bell-curve interference that just starts out with popping that eventually turns into a full blown drown out crackling. Regardless of recording or just listening to a playback or monitoring myself playing.

Thanks again. I'll be updating my drivers (if necessary) in the morning.
Quote by JudgeDrey
Thanks for the reply.

I've used Asio4All, and the Tascam. Same with both.

Also don't forget, I'm not talking about random pop's and crackles during recording. This is one long bell-curve interference that just starts out with popping that eventually turns into a full blown drown out crackling. Regardless of recording or just listening to a playback or monitoring myself playing.

Thanks again. I'll be updating my drivers (if necessary) in the morning.

Im not sure at that point. Drivers are a good start. Your cpu might be maxing out. You know, control-alt-delete and then check your cpu usage when you've got a lot of vst's running etc.
Depending on how much your running 4gb of ram might be nowhere near enough. It wasn't for me.
Last edited by siksenserecords at Jun 14, 2014,
Quote by siksenserecords
Im not sure at that point. Drivers are a good start. Your cpu might be maxing out. You know, control-alt-delete and then check your cpu usage when you've got a lot of vst's running etc.
Depending on how much your running 4gb of ram might be nowhere near enough. It wasn't for me.

Amazingly, I believe I inadvertently fixed the problem, somehow, by total fluke! lol!

Something I had not mentioned at first is that I've also been having a seemingly unrelated problem installing EZDrummer. Every time I installed it, I kept getting the same message after inputting the activation code. I'd get the message that EZDrummer was successfully activated, and the "Thank you for choosing EZDrummer!" message. Once I clicked on the "OK" button, I'd get the message:
"Cannot find sound files! Please move sound files to:
Path is unspecified."

This left me baffled. So I'd try it once again. It asked me to put in the activation code once again! And then I'd get the same damn message about the sound files. I thought the third time might be the charm?...lol no. I looked around in Cubase's settings and preferences for where I might be able to set paths to the sound file. But no way.

So I Googled it. (In retrospect, I should have done it much sooner, I know...sigh)
Anyways, the very first reply I read in response to someone else who was getting the same error message was..."You might just have to run Cubase as Administrator."

Then it hit me! "OF COURSE!!!"
At that moment I remembered that when I used to have the same recording setup 3 to 4 years ago, I used to "Run Cubase as Administrator" to be able to use EZDrummer and Broomstick Bass at the same time in Cubase. So I tried it and sure enough!
I typed in the Activation Code once again. It accepted it and once I clicked OK, I didn't get the error message and the program started to load up just like it used to!

So hurrah hurrah, my EZDrummer problem was fixed! Just one more major problem to go! So I loaded up EZDrummer, Broomstick Bass, AND ShredSuite. I then put the drums and bass on an continuous bluesy loop, and started playing along with it. Good God it sounded so sweet! Especially since I had switched my cheap & shitty 15 dollar MDR-V150 Sony headphones which barely had any loudness to them at all, with my brand-new Skullcandy PLYR 2 Wireless Gaming Headset! Talk about night & day! I could not in any words describe the difference in sound with these headphones compared to what I had.

It was about 10 times louder first of all. (I actually had to turn the volume down! lol) Second, the mix of a high gain guitar setting I was using in Shredsuite, the heavy preset Blues beat I put on loop in EZDrummer, and the generic bass line going along with it in Broomstick sounded as clear as day! I was blown away by the guitar tone alone! But that's another story.

**TLDR**
The entire point to my rambling is that I should have had that popping/crackling noise kick in, especially with all those VST's and audio being looped and played on the guitar. But after right-clicking on Cubase and "Run as Administrator", and playing for approximately 30 to 45 minuted over some various drumbeats and bass lines... nothing. Not a damn thing. Not one pop. Not one crackle, hissing or full blown interference! WTF??

Obviously, I'm a very, very happy man as of this morning if this noise problem is in fact gone. But I'm also left puzzled by this also. Just out of sheer curiosity.

I can understand why "Run as Administrator" made a difference with the EZDrummer installation, but why on earth did this (seemingly) fix the noise/interference problem?

If anyone has any insight on this, I'm all ears. Otherwise, thanks for your time to whoever read my topic and to siksenserecords for your replies.

Sincerely,
JudgeDrey