So today was playing for around 30 min and looked down to see this white residue, first I thought deodorant stain but I'm wearing a shirt and it was not in the right spot.

Turned out to the white ink from the t-shirt I was wearing, one of those DTG printed ones, but had been washed at least 20 times.

I kinda freaked when a dry cloth wouldn't remove it, so used a damp cloth with distilled water.

Yes, I'm still in the "new car" phase and super careful with it, last night looking into what cleaning products to get for it. Settled on the Gibson Pump Polish and the Gibson kit with the fret conditioner. There is so much/many opinions on what and how to clean a LP, I'm just going to go with what they sell :-)

Are LP finishes fragile or am I reading too much into it?
Cleaned it up already, it was blotchy white like I explained, if you rubbed white deodorant onto a black shirt, not solid white but a waxy looking white. Both guitar and shirt were dry, outside of humidity in the air.
Nitro is more fragile than the thick poly finishes on most guitars. I've had paint get on my les paul before. It comes off very quickly with some spray wax, a clay bar, and a light touch. Clay bar = magic.
Quote by phillychuck

Are LP finishes fragile or am I reading too much into it?

Gibsons use nitrocellulose lacquer, which is full of unicorn dust and fairy farts. As a result, it reacts with UV light, various chemicals and materials. It discolors, embrittles, checks, cracks, flakes off and outgasses nitric and sulfuric acids, which attack metal bits on the guitar. Stands have to be vetted to make sure that whatever is touching the lacquer finish is not made of a material that will melt or discolor the lacquer.

Most modern guitars use modern finishes that don't do any of this.
Can I make a suggestion? Try gel deodorant. You'll never get deodorant stains or spots again.
Gel deodorant is risky. It could affect the finish. Rock music is dirty, sweaty, smelly and gross. Don't let a little stank keep you from enjoying the gutiar.
Quote by dspellman
Gibsons use nitrocellulose lacquer, which is full of unicorn dust and fairy farts. As a result, it reacts with UV light, various chemicals and materials. It discolors, embrittles, checks, cracks, flakes off and outgasses nitric and sulfuric acids, which attack metal bits on the guitar. Stands have to be vetted to make sure that whatever is touching the lacquer finish is not made of a material that will melt or discolor the lacquer.

Most modern guitars use modern finishes that don't do any of this.

Made me smile and cry at the same time, thanks :-)

And folks, I was using the deodorant as an example of how it looked, it was actually Ink from the t-shirt I was wearing. But this is a stimulating topic of how sweaty and gross guitar players get!!!
Quote by cheesefries
Clay bar = magic.

Yep.

If it's safe and good enough to remove debris, dirt and grime from the paintjob on insanely valuable, 40+ year-old cars, it's good enough for my guitars.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
that happened me with my SG One of the t-shirts I have has a big transfer-type pic on it and most of it seemed to end up on my SG

I was kinda pissed... then I just kinda rubbed it with my finger (yeah I'm high tech ) and it came off.

Not sure if that's a sensible solution or not, so don't quote me on that, but you normally try the easy fix first with most guitar stuff.

EDIT: also wear a different t-shirt when playing that guitar from now on.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?