Hey guys,
I have little knowledge about recording but even less when it comes to mixing/mastering (which is said to be the hardest part, right?)

So I have this lead guitar part that at first is played by 2 guitars (left and right play the same notes) but then later changes to a dual part (left guitar remains the same but right guitar plays the lower thirds).
This all is backed up by 2 rhythm guitars (left and right panned) and they play simply strummed powerchords.

Sounds awesome and all but of course once the lead guitar part changes to duality, they become more quiet. Ofcourse I could correct that by turning up their volume when that part comes but that's not how you do that, is it?

I've tried 100% left and right pans on each guitar track and I've also tried to just pan them less on each side (e.g. 60%) but how do pros really pan their guitars?

So I've listened to a few good bands that frequently have dual lead guitar parts in their songs and I have heard everything from no panning at all to 100% pans and I can't figure out what's best for my individual track.

I just don't want them to lose so much volume once each track plays seperate notes.
You're just going to have to decide what YOU think is best. There are no rules, suggest you start at 60% panned and play about with that. I think you need to get it so they are separate but not so separate and that depends on how different the guitar tones are and how different the parts are. The more similar they are the more panning they need?

P.
Like PSimonR said, it's all about your own preference. Another thing I would try is to mix the Rhythm tracks lower when the lead changes.

Another suggestion might be, if it's not too much of a pain in the ass, is to mix in another Lead left and Lead right when they're playing two different parts to round out the tracks (since you're essentially double tracking each part, this makes the most sense to me).

There is no limit to the amount of tracks to use. I watched a clinic that the guy that produces The Dillinger Escape Plan and Suicide Silence taught and he'll track as many guitars as he feels is necessary for a part, that might mean recording a triple-track (2 dirty+a dry) or more and then overdubbing another double track for notes that he feels need to draw attention, and that's just for a single guitar in a song
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jun 14, 2014,