I cant believe i never got round to playing this type of lick beforehand, to be honest. Ive fiddled about with it, but im unsure what the best way to play this lick is. what picking direction on each pick should i use? should i bend away or towards me? which method would allow me to play this lick well at a decent speed?

-------------17-------------17----
--------17-------------17--------
--19b-----------19b------------- etc.
------------------------------------

the 19s are 8ths, whilst the 17s are 16ths

Any help would be appreciated
Just down pick the first two notes and the upstroke on the high E. Bend the note up with your third finger and with your first finger barred on the 17th fret.
In my guitar journey...i have seen this lick a lot of times especially played by blues player like jimmy page, slash, jeff beck, etc. They sometime add one more note with their pinkie on the B string to give the blues feeling using the pentatonic scale. In your case, 20th fret on b string
as a matter of fact, the next note in this particular solo is that 20th on the b string thanks for the advice! ill get onto learning this now!
I'd say depending on whether or not you need the notes to ring out, either barre it or if you don't want it to ring out, the way I'd play it is kind of roll onto it. So play the B string with the tip of my finger then roll/turn and play the e string with the joint of my finger.
bend upwards (away from the floor). if you don't you'll be muting the notes afterwards if you try to hold the bend.

picking is up to you. I'd probably pick them all in the direction of the strings (i.e. all downstrokes) but it's pretty much preference and whichever you find most comfortable doing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I pick that down-down-up. The most important thing is that you don't want the notes to ring out together like a chord. You do the bend, that note ends, then the note on the B string, that note ends, then the note on the high E, for it's appropriate time value.
Sorry to bump this, but it came to me the other day that I'd better actually check that I'd play that the way I said I did. Needless to say, I don't. I'd most likely do D,D,U as well. Occasionally I'd do all downstrokes if I wanted the notes to ring out or something like that, maybe that's what confused me. Or maybe just the fact that I do it without even thinking about it.

Sorry
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 20, 2014,