The title says it all. By rock I mean anything from punk rock to metal.

Great sounding cleans would be great also. Thanks! If it helps I play a les paul.
Any used Mesa. Choose your weapon.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I have two, both by Carvin. One is a recent Belair (EL84s, 50W, 2x12 open back). Mine has a pair of broken-in V30's and the Hasserl Stage II mods (google them). Clean channel is gorgeous. If you dial up the mod that regulates negative feedback, you can dial in some touch sensitivity and dirt. The gain ("Soak") channel on the standard amp is very smooth, very modern (designed in conjunction with Allan Holdsworth). Hasserl modified, however, it sounds like a vintage Marshall, but with more gain available than any vintage Marshall ever had. Absolutely perfect for a Les Paul.

The second amp is a 1989 Carvin XV112E (you'll also see them listed under X100B). This is a 100W EL34 active-control amp very much like an early Mesa (they look nearly identical in control layout). Five-band active EQ, EV-L speaker. This is a very powerful amp, very loud, and if you disconnect the internal speaker and run a pair of 4x12s, you'll outshout most Marshalls. Gorgeous cleans, great gain choices, very Mesa-esque.
Valveking if you really want bang for your buck. Used blackstar stage 60 or TSL60 is versatile. Depending on what metal we're talking, I'd say a JSX combo too. Great cleans on these amps.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
used Mesa DC3/5,Rectoverb 1x12,Stiletto Ace 1x12
Peavey JSX 2x12,Ultra 1x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Recto or JSX seems like the obvious choice.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Thanks for the responses guys. I have a question though. I do not play any gigs, I am a college student and play in the apartment. I usually have to keep it to a fairly low volume. To give you an idea, I currently have a Fender Mustang 1 20W amp, and the sweet spot on the master volume for me is a 3 out of 10.

Would a 40W amp still sound good at these lower volume levels, or would I be better off going for a 15W amp?

I am between the Marshall DSL15C and the DSL40C. What do you guys think?
one watt @1m thorugh a celestion V30 is around 100db. approaching hearing damage, you wouldn't really practically ever do that, but that is just a point.

the biggest thing that wattage really does is control headroom (how long you stay clean before the power tubes distort)

100 watts of power is only twice as loud as 10 watts.

neither are really practical in an apartment setting, but i have houses i bought a house straight out of college, and before that commuted.

you will have to keep something down.

now take this for example, you have a Mesa MKIV, you have separate gain controls and volume controls, AND a master volume. i can turn them back a bit at play at 3am in my house and it sounds good. all amps are different to some degree. just test it doing what you want.

i would go for a 40w personally,more practical live if you want cleans.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
one watt @1m thorugh a celestion V30 is around 100db. approaching hearing damage, you wouldn't really practically ever do that, but that is just a point.

the biggest thing that wattage really does is control headroom (how long you stay clean before the power tubes distort)

100 watts of power is only twice as loud as 10 watts.

neither are really practical in an apartment setting, but i have houses i bought a house straight out of college, and before that commuted.

you will have to keep something down.

now take this for example, you have a Mesa MKIV, you have separate gain controls and volume controls, AND a master volume. i can turn them back a bit at play at 3am in my house and it sounds good. all amps are different to some degree. just test it doing what you want.

i would go for a 40w personally,more practical live if you want cleans.

I won't be playing live.
So ignore literally every suggestion The only thing I see for you are lateral moves; that is, you wouldn't really be upgrading your sound with an amp that could match your current setup's volume. It'd have to be a sold state, because most tube amps aren't really good for low volume playing (that's what I've come to understand anyway); they sound best at higher volumes.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 14, 2014,
Can't help thinking that the correct solution for this would be a Pod and a powered wedge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Can't help thinking that the correct solution for this would be a Pod and a powered wedge.

+1
Exactly what I was thinking
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
peavey ultra plus combo?

+3.1415 to cath and rob. POD 500 HD that is near your budget the most flexible thing, wedges are nice to have around as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Cathbard

That's rapidly becoming the correct solution for a whole lot of versatility requirements.
I'm probably going to buy one myself - to use as a backup amp for emergencies.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1 to mfx and powered speaker. Do you sing too? Do you have a drum machine? Keyboard? I like using a Zoom G3 for amp modeling into a powered speaker. I also have a mic running through the speaker, so I can actually loop a rhythm line, add a drum track and howl away with the (lonely) band. My neighbors love me. I also use the G3 and speaker as a bass amp. And I run the nanomag acoustic pup from one of my guitars through it. A powered speaker is definitely very useful to have.

Having said that, nothing wrong with getting a decent amp instead. If I had to choose between amp or mfx+ps, I'd take amp...first.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Used 5150s and 6505s. You might consider a change to el84s, they'll break up better.
+1 to mesa and blackstar mentions.
Edit: Better isn't the right word. el84s won't be as fizzy as the stock 6l6s, but some people are into that sorta thing.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Last edited by rushpython at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by rushpython
Used 5150s and 6505s. You might consider a change to el84s, they'll break up better.
+1 to mesa and blackstar mentions.
Edit: Better isn't the right word. el84s won't be as fizzy as the stock 6l6s, but some people are into that sorta thing.
You mean EL34 don't you? And in what? You can't just drop EL34's into a 5150/6505, you'll blow the screen resistor. Pretty sure the heater current goes up pretty close to overload too.

Edit: You'd have to mod the bias circuit too. There's probably something else I've forgotten too. In short - don't do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 15, 2014,
2 words. Spider Valve. My friend Scott has one and he loves it, and I love it, a full tube amp with a modeling capability? Sign me the **** up
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by RBM01991
2 words. Spider Valve. My friend Scott has one and he loves it, and I love it, a full tube amp with a modeling capability? Sign me the **** up
It is in no way a full tube amp. It has a tube power amp and a digital preamp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
So ignore literally every suggestion The only thing I see for you are lateral moves; that is, you wouldn't really be upgrading your sound with an amp that could match your current setup's volume. It'd have to be a sold state, because most tube amps aren't really good for low volume playing (that's what I've come to understand anyway); they sound best at higher volumes.

How so? My Laney VC30 sounds just fine at bedroom levels. I have the volume control at 1/10. You don't need to crank up your amp to sound good, unless you are after power tube distortion. But you won't achieve any power tube distortion unless you play really loud. My Laney at bedroom levels still sounds better than any solid state I've played through. Just because an amp sounds best at high volumes doesn't mean it doesn't sound good at low volumes. Also, everything sounds better when you turn it up a bit.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I'd stay away from Line 6.  They seems to get a bad rap online.  
I would check these out:
Marshall DSL40C
Orange Crush CR120C
Blackstar Limited Edition HT Club 40 Deluxe
Quote by Gosss
I'd stay away from Line 6.  They seems to get a bad rap online.  
I would check these out:
Marshall DSL40C
Orange Crush CR120C
Blackstar Limited Edition HT Club 40 Deluxe

Zombie thread. 
Gosss

Check the dates before you post, please. Don't revive dead threads.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!