use: home playing but needs to be able to perform in medium sized bar settings

genres: rock/metal. nirvana, alice in chains, metallica, red hot chilli peppers, audioslave, possibly even pantera, pink floyd. even radio bands like muse, or the black keys.

i want a wide variety of tones but ideally i dont want to have to use a pedal.

i know next to nothing about equipment and i really just need to get this purchase out of my way because my current amp blows(line 6 spider 2)

EDIT: i have an m13 with expression pedal and volume pedal so i dont want effects on the amp(modelling?)
Last edited by fupashredder at Jun 16, 2014,
Marshall DSL 401, maybe a peavey Classic 30 with a boost, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Need pedals to get metal out of the last two amps. I'm a big fan of the Marshall. You might also be able to go for a Jet City combo as well. Planning on looking used?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
If you're looking used, add Egnater Rebel and Randall RM20 to your list.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Valveking 212
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Just picked up a used Peavey Vypyr 75 in great shape for under $150. Plenty of punch to cook in a live mix in the size venues you're talking about, plus a bunch of stompbox and rack effects built in that can be recalled via presets.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Vyper Tube would do it too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ while the Vypyr is a good practice amp, unless it is the vypyr tube, I wouldn't get one for live use
Just a personal preference, but I have played live for over 15 yrs, so I know what works well in live situations

damn I go get a beer and cath ninja's me
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 14, 2014,
Actually heard the 60W tube Vypyr and it had plenty of reach, although the 120W would undoubtedly be better. Still think the 75W SS would hold its own in many cases, but then again my idea of a "medium sized bar setting" and somebody else's may vary greatly.

So you may well be right, Robb.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Quote by fupashredder
i want a wide variety of tones but ideally i dont want to have to use a pedal.

Maybe not a vypyr?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Maybe not a vypyr?

i have no idea lol. i do want i wide variety of tones as in, really nice clean tones and pantera level distortion if possible. i would say though, clean tones would be more important than pantera tones.

im just waiting for this thread to fill up with recommendations and then im gonna research them and try to find some used
Quote by fupashredder
i have no idea lol. i do want i wide variety of tones as in, really nice clean tones and pantera level distortion if possible. i would say though, clean tones would be more important than pantera tones.

im just waiting for this thread to fill up with recommendations and then im gonna research them and try to find some used

I typed that because you said you don't want to use a pedal: vypyr's require the sanpera foot pedal to access channels and all the effects. Unless you meant not wanting to use more than just the foot pedal to get a tone, in which case I guess the sanpera is like any other amp's footswitch. Do you have need for effects?
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 15, 2014,
Find a used Mesa. Even a Studio 22 will cover just about everything and the clean channel sounds like a Deluxe Reverb. Mesa .50 Caliber can also be found pretty reasonable used. Both are plenty loud to run with a drum kit. If they mic the drums, mic your amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I typed that because you said you don't want to use a pedal: vypyr's require the sanpera foot pedal to access channels and all the effects. Unless you meant not wanting to use more than just the foot pedal to get a tone, in which case I guess the sanpera is like any other amp's footswitch. Do you have need for effects?

i have an m13 witch an expression pedal. i want to get a dedicated master volume pedal also.

i dont know how i would set this up though. but id like as much control with my foot as possible i guess....

dunno if that makes sense.

what i meant by no pedals is that, if i dont have to use pedals to get a good tone, it frees up availability on my m13 pedal.
Last edited by fupashredder at Jun 15, 2014,
Ok, so vypr is out because you have efffects covered. Get a regular tube amp with an fx loop at $450. make sure it has a footswitch; it controls the channels and reverb (if the amp has it), unless you like the m13 reverb better. I'll revise my suggestions: either a vk212, or (if they get low enough) a JSX, TSL602, or JC50. From those last 3 I'd take a JSX because it offers the most versatility of genres at that (occasional) price.
Jca5212
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
And btw, the Vyper tube has an analog modelling front end. You signal only gets digitised if you turn on the effects. So don't discount it. It will still work ok with your M13. The Vyper Tube has the power amp out of a 6505. They're a good thing.

The JCA 5212 I suggested is the Soldano Lucky 13 one. It's different to the usual JCA cookie monster metal amps. It will do all but the Pantera stuff - but you've got the M13 for that. Pantera is all SS clipping. Easy peasy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You could go with either a new Peavey Bandit which I believe is under the $400.00 price range and is a no frills amp but has a great sound to it and is 80 watts of power which is more than enough for small clubs ,etc, or see about buying a used Fender Princeton 65 , Frontman 65, 120 combo, etc, which you can easily get on Guitar Center's website under their used gear section for only a couple of hundred bucks or less. Personally , I would go with Fender . I have a 1988 Fender Studio 85 combo which I installed a Eminence Texas heat and it's the best sounding amp I've ever had in my 42 years of playing. It's a 65 watt combo and louder than you know what.
^ if that is the best sounding amp you've ever played, you've never played a good amp. With the budgets TS has, none of those amps should be on his radar at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You can get a Peavey XXX on eBay right now for probably just that. Great amp. Underrated IMO and definately would work for what you are thinking.
Quote by Cathbard
Pantera is all SS clipping. Easy peasy.

care to elaborate?

also, most of these amp reviews online are with corny blues music. i think im gonna have to find these in person and toy with them myself before i buy
Dime used SS Randalls, his distortion came from SS clipping. If you can't find a distortion in the M13 to get close enough to his tone to pass at a gig, you aren't looking hard enough. Just find the worst, nastiest sounding distortion in there and use that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification