My budget is $800 max and will most likely be used. I need a strat type guitar with 3 pickups (either HSS or HSH). Recessed Floyd. I need something that comes with a better bridge than a Floyd Rose Special.

Think of it this way: I need a guitar like a charvel so cal that has a better (Stock) bridge than a Floyd special that can be had used at $800. The only reason I'm not going for it is because I don't have the money to buy a bridge upgrade, even if I find the guitar used.

No RG's. I don't like 24 frets.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 14, 2014,
The So Cal's don't have Floyd Specials anyways so just get a So Cal if that's what you want.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
The So Cal's don't have Floyd Specials anyways so just get a So Cal if that's what you want.

I checked the charvel page, it said special. The MIJ's might've come with better floyds, but weren't recessed. The current MI(Wherever) apparently have specials (according to one seller on reverb.com and charvel's spec section for the guitar).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 14, 2014,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I checked the charvel page, it said special. The MIJ's might've come with better floyds, but weren't recessed. The current MI(Wherever) apparently have specials (according to one seller on reverb.com).

They have pics of the actual guitars at Sweetwater and they are not FR Specials, and it also says in their specs that they are not FRS's. They are the Korean OFR FR1000's.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Also consider the Godin Velocity:
http://www.amazon.com/Godin-Velocity-High-Definition-Revoicer/dp/B001QCXS6Y

Yes, that one is a little over $800, but that one is a new one. Or, more accurately, NOS. They were discontinued in 2011, but unsold ones still float around. Used, they go for under $600, sometimes as low as $450.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The Fernandes Retrorocket Pro is in your price range, and has a feature you won't find on most other Stratclones- a Sustainer.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/retrorocket/retrorocket-pro.html

Normally, they're over $1k, but I'm starting to see them discounted here and there- I think that they're being discontinued.
www.amazon.com/Fernandes-Retrorocket-Pro-Electric-Guitar/dp/B00328HPV4

And they're lots of fun...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnqsRkY71SE&sns=em

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 15, 2014,
Thanks for the suggestions Danny but literally none of those have Floyd roses. Way Cool's right, sweetwater shows it with OFR 1000's (though I'm still thrown off by Charvel's listing of "Floyd Rose Special"). So I'll be going with that when I find one used (unless someone suggests something else).
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
I checked the charvel page, it said special. The MIJ's might've come with better floyds, but weren't recessed. The current MI(Wherever) apparently have specials (according to one seller on reverb.com and charvel's spec section for the guitar).

But if you notice, on the general Pro-Mod page, before you click on an individual model, it says Floyd Rose® Original...

Like Way Cool JR said, general consensus is that the Mexican Pro Mods have the FR-O1000 series units.

The So Cal isn't quite perfect for what you want since it's HH, but they are routed for HSH if you wanted to install a middle single.
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
But if you notice, on the general Pro-Mod page, before you click on an individual model, it says Floyd Rose® Original...

Like Way Cool JR said, general consensus is that the Mexican Pro Mods have the FR-O1000 series units.

The So Cal isn't quite perfect for what you want since it's HH, but they are routed for HSH if you wanted to install a middle single.

What I was looking at was Charvel's "Spec" section (hardware) listing it with a Special.

And what I really meant by HSS or HSH was the BODY being routed for it, not just the pickguard. So if necessary, putting a single coil/new pickguard will be my plan with a So cal.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 15, 2014,
What is it that you don't like about 24 frets?

You could find any of several kinds of Carvin "Strat" that have bolt-necks, 22 frets and 25.5" scales.
There are also the neck-through ST300 series guitars that feature a Strat body with a 25" scale 24-fret neck. Carvin was using only OFRs last time I looked.
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
What I was looking at was Charvel's "Spec" section (hardware) listing it with a Special.

And what I really meant by HSS or HSH was the BODY being routed for it, not just the pickguard. So if necessary, putting a single coil/new pickguard will be my plan with a So cal.

I'v seen a few big name manufactures websites having the wrong specs for their guitars. So it's no surprise to me at all. So if the So Cal was the guitar that you really wanted to begin with, and that was the only thing stopping you, then go for it. Just get it from a good reputable place.

If you buy it used just make sure no one swapped out any of the parts (especially the bridge) for lesser quality ones. And if you buy new online then I would personally go with Sweetwater because they iron out any playability/quality issues the guitar may have had form the factory. It just makes for a better/easier online purchase since you are less likely to get a dud.
Fender makes a Strat with an FR in an HSS format for $700 if you're worried about the name on the headstock.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by dspellman
What is it that you don't like about 24 frets?

You could find any of several kinds of Carvin "Strat" that have bolt-necks, 22 frets and 25.5" scales.
There are also the neck-through ST300 series guitars that feature a Strat body with a 25" scale 24-fret neck. Carvin was using only OFRs last time I looked.

I've always used 22 frets. Just a quirky preference. And I recently looked at carvin's stuff more closely, so I'm getting into them, too.

Quote by JustRooster
Fender makes a Strat with an FR in an HSS format for $700 if you're worried about the name on the headstock.
Not a recessed Floyd.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve

Not a recessed Floyd.

Good call, looked over that bit.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER