I find that I get the best attack out of the Jazz III max grip picks, but I don't like the size. They move around in my hand a lot and just don't feel right. So I bought the dunlop max grip 1.14mm which is apparently just like a large jazz III--but the attack is different. I feel like I'm "slipping" on the string, rather than slicing through. I tried tortex gator grip 1.14mm and it's more or less the same thing. I feel like I'm slipping on the string and getting caught on it at the same time, and not "slicing" through, the way I do with the jazz III. I actually get the best "slice" with the fender .88 mediums--but i feel like the tone and attack are inferior to the jazz III. Any suggestions for me? What do you guys like?
If it were up to me, I'd make every beginner start with Dunlop Tortex .73 or.88 mm picks, and then find what best suits them afterwards.

Try .6 mm and pick hard if you want a very satisfying attack. Sounds kinda like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTq3YtZ5H7U
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Last edited by Archer250 at Jul 9, 2014,
That's the tone I get out of the .88 fender medium picks. That "scraping" sound. I feel that the attack doesn't sound quite as good, overall, as the jazz III though. You don't think .6 is too thin?
Not if you hold the pick like Paul does.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
I'm actually using pretty thick acrylic picks with a fairly sharp point; specifically, 2mm and 3mm Razer standard picks from Gravity. Note that the pick point is actually sharper than what it appears in this picture (the highlight is some distance back from the pick point). More like the greenish one. The greenish pick shows one of the anti-slip versions (I don't use one of these, but if you're paranoid about slippage, this should do it):

Surprisingly, these do NOT slip around when my hand gets sweaty; if anything they grip more easily. Probably some kind of gecko thing going on. Gravity picks are a bit expensive (you do NOT leave them around where friends can find them -- that's what Pick Punch* picks are for), and <*knocks on wood*> I've never lost one. I do find that I'm a lot more precise with them. And for speed passages, I'm sliding the pick over the string at about a 45 degree angle, not flat on.

*Pick Punch? They run about $25 and will punch picks out of a variety of materials. I can get about a half dozen standard-size picks out of an old credit card if I'm careful. They have sheets of other materials available, including a tortex-type material. You're limited on thickness (or you'll break the punch), but it's possible to glue, say, three of these together and then sand the resulting thick-pick into shape.

Last edited by dspellman at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by RyanMW2010
I find that I get the best attack out of the Jazz III max grip picks, but I don't like the size. They move around in my hand a lot and just don't feel right. So I bought the dunlop max grip 1.14mm which is apparently just like a large jazz III--but the attack is different. I feel like I'm "slipping" on the string, rather than slicing through. I tried tortex gator grip 1.14mm and it's more or less the same thing. I feel like I'm slipping on the string and getting caught on it at the same time, and not "slicing" through, the way I do with the jazz III. I actually get the best "slice" with the fender .88 mediums--but i feel like the tone and attack are inferior to the jazz III. Any suggestions for me? What do you guys like?

You won't really get that slice with hard picks. In either case make sure the angle of the pick and its position achieve that sound. Attack will decrease as the "slice" becomes more prevalent and this is how the world works.

.88 is a good all-rounder size (although I don't really like the huge Fender picks if those are the ones you're using). If you decide to to switch from "slice" to more attack, simply keep the pick flat against the string with no angling and make sure it's deep inside.
I'm all about Jazz IIIs. They are the most comfortable pick I have tried, since they are smaller I can get much better accuracy, but not everyone likes small picks....like yourself.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
I've only been playing a short time (for the second time) but I like the V-Picks Lite small. The acrylic they use doesn't slip.
Last edited by NormH3 at Jun 23, 2014,
I like the V-Pick Medium Pointed and the Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0. I haven't tried the Big Stubby 3.0 yet but I will soon. Sometimes I'll use an Ultex 1.14 as well.
Try bunch of Jazz III, standard, XL, max grip, red, black, whatever.
Do you feel like I do!?
Ask 100 players, get 100 answers. Picks are cheap (mostly...)... experiment.
Quote by Bikewer
Ask 100 players, get 100 answers. Picks are cheap (mostly...)... experiment.

This. Definitely this.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I love the jazz 3 sound and stiffness, I got used to the size as uickly. It would be cool if Dunlop made bigger ones for people of that preference.
Quote by guitardork97
I love the jazz 3 sound and stiffness, I got used to the size as uickly. It would be cool if Dunlop made bigger ones for people of that preference.

They do. http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/jazz-iii-xl
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Tortex TIII. A grip surface of Tortex and Gators but with a sharp tip of Ultex Sharps except without the round bewels. A lot of attack.

Tortex Sharp has even more attack but with them you are essentially picking with a needle. It gets stuck on strings quite easily if your technique slips for a second.

There is also Jazz III XL which is just Jazz III made bigger but unfortunately there is no Max Grip version, only the red standard and the stiffer black one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3