Page 1 of 2

Okay... this thread question is for guys/gals that actually have guitars/etc (or had them) and actually have played in clubs (and by clubs, I mean dives, ice-houses, honky-tonks and the like) and 'legally' experienced 'mayhem' while trying to play a set there.

The Question:
Did you ever try to play through a bar/club set (on stage) with a bust-up, knock-down drag-out fist fight/near riot going on all around you? If so, did you keep on playing...or did you have to throw in the towel and duck off-stage?

For my own self, I've been there 'more' than a few times... twice in Texas, once in Tennessee, and three times in Vietnam.

Most memorial in Vietnam was in early 1973, if I remember right, like the first week of March or thereabouts. I was on leave for a few days and got rooked into a loose-knit pickup band of G.I.'s that could play/sing a little bit. For some free beers and a few bottles of Jack Black, (and a small amount of cash) a friend talked us into playing a few numbers in a little 'alley-way' club. We'd all been there before and knew the South Viet owner and he was okay, far as we knew, so agreed to it. Everything went well at first, place filled up about dark with all sorts of G.I.'s and a few Vietnamese (local merchants that were well to do, or so I assume.) We played a few early Beatle covers, a few Bobby Vee covers and the like, then we got a request from a homesick Utah soldier to play a C&W song by Bobby Bare (I think, or maybe it was Pat Boone, don't remember now, called "500 Miles Away From Home.")

Anyway, only two of us knew the song but the rest were good enough to fake it...so we started in. About the second time we hit the chorus, 'Lord, I'm FFF---ive Hun---dredd Miles A---WW---ayy' suddenly ALL hell broke loose!

I never even knew what the fight was about, but suddenly every soldier in there was up and swinging, kicking, biting ears, poking eyes...and throwing beer bottles and whiskey glasses at one another! Tables got busted up, chairs got heaved across the room, somebody even started tossing bar stools and heavy ashtrays! G'ah!

We just kept playing...mainly because it was a tiny stage and the only way off of it was INTO the brawl (and we weren't drunk enough for that at the time.) So we kept right on singing and playing. And after about ten minutes, as quick as it had started, it was over. I mean over. Just gone. Everybody was laughing and talking and buying one another fresh drinks and the fight had just vanished into thin air. And just in time too...right before the ball-bustin' MP's came rushing in carrying iron-hard nightsticks and with hands on their 1911A1 pistol butts. It was crazy. None of us players even got a scratch, just got soaked from thrown beer and whiskey whizzing past us.

And once, as a civilian, in Texas... a similar deal. A sudden fist fight (over unknown reasons) with people throwing chairs and beers and busting heads. Me and the guys I was playing with kept right on playing then too, till some dude pulled a pistol and started busting caps; Blam! Blam! Blam! ---Whereas we took what we could carry of our instruments and ran like hell for the nearest exit and the dark alleyway beyond. D'oh!

Playing in Dew-Drop-Inn's, Honky Tonks and such ain't exactly always for the unwary, unaware, immature, or lily-livered folk. (nor for the brave and the bold either as being brave and bold in a bar fight can get you killed pretty quick) It can get down-right hairy in those places!

Anyone here with 'real-life' similar experiences they'd like to share for a belly laugh or two?

I played once in Germany and I was raped by my lead guitarist. Never looked at him the same since.
No, I own multiple guitars and used to be in a band that specialized in Milwaukee area dives/rock bars. But a fight has never broken out in front of me. That might actually be kind of cool.

And what the **** are you talking about with Vietnam?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
i skimmed all of that but due to the length i refuse to comment constructively
i don't know why i feel so dry
someone read threw his story and tell me if its worth my time to
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by snipelfritz
No, I own multiple guitars and used to be in a band that specialized in Milwaukee area dives/rock bars. But a fight has never broken out in front of me. That might actually be kind of cool.

And what the **** are you talking about with Vietnam?

I've had friends that spoke of BIG bar brawls in Milwaukee, you must have got lucky with your gigs and missed out on 'em. Well, honestly it is 'sort of cool to be involved in one...but only if you can live to tell the tale, I guess.

As to Vietnam...i.e. Vietnam War. I, and MANY thousands of other G.I.'s were there. Check it out, learn some history; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War

Quote by Eastwinn
i skimmed all of that but due to the length i refuse to comment constructively

Thank you. Really.
Quote by Wiegenlied

...you mean, 'through' his story and tell me if its worth my time to?

Are you old enough to actually play (legal) in a bar? Do you actually own something to play in a bar with (guitar, accordion, whatever?) Ever had a bar brawl going on while you were in there playing? (that's about the gist of it. hope that helps.)
Why didn't you just put that and a short story? No one is going to read that much text on a forum.
Quote by metal4eva_22
I played once in Germany and I was raped by my lead guitarist. Never looked at him the same since.

Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I played a gig in Reno once. Guy in the crowd shot a man, just to watch him die.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Stop playing gigs in 1930s Texas
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Wiegenlied

shit happened in nam
Quote by Malchius
Why didn't you just put that and a short story? No one is going to read that much text on a forum.

you children suck, your generation is ****ed. Old people had all the Oil and Cash and your generation has a sense of entitlement that baffles comprehension.
Learn to pay attention it will help you in later life unless Darwin gets you first.
Quote by vocoderboy
you children suck, your generation is ****ed.

Malchius' birth year as listed on profile: 1991
vocoderboy's birth year as listed on profile: 1983

"your generation"

As for the OP, thanks for the story, but I have nothing to contribute, as I've never played in a bar. To be honest, I'm kind of glad I haven't. Bar patrons can really be dicks.
Quote by Malchius

(Shrugs, in an unconcerned manner) Beg pard. IQ's of over 50 will (and already have read it.) Present company excluded of course. I know it 'sounds' impossible to you, but there's more to forums than just one-line curse words and nasty put-downs (most of which make no sense to anyone past seven years old.)

Possibly what you 'meant' to say was, 'No one under 13 is going to read that much text on a forum.' Which is (not surpising, and) A-Okay with me. I wrote if for more mature people anyway. And yeah, surprisingly, there's some here. But thanks for the heads up anyway. Heck, you couldn't know.

Quote by Trowzaa
Stop playing gigs in 1930s Texas

From 1930's to mid 1970's is a looong time there, partner. I know you don't know any better, so hey, here's a link that can (hopefully) help you with that.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7846193_learn-simple-math.html

I had a better link where they used wooden building blocks to teach math but now can't find it. Sorry about that.

Btw... and FYI any 'mature' REAL player/band member will tell you that there's little change in playing gigs in clubs down through the years, so actual 'time-lines' don't really matter that much. Club playing, which can be (and usually is) the 'bread and butter' for any real band, from pop to C&W to hard metal/acid (whatever,) is pretty much the same today as it was 20, 30, even 50 years ago. The dynamics of catching and 'holding' the attention of a club-full of listeners is almost EXACTLY the same.

The history of club playing is fasinating and fantastic. (well, if you're actually interested in music and playing, it is.)

Hopefully one day you can save up enough to buy a real guitar and get a chance to play in a club and make some good money, have a few beers on the house and get to know some 'really' interesting people...in a (of legal drinking age) club. It'll be grand.

But, thanks for your comment anyway.
Quote by Beowolff
IQ's of over 50 will (and already have read it.)

IQ's of over 50 have better things to do with their lives than read stories about the struggles of playing gigs in 'Nam. Pre-retirement most people don't have all that much spare time on their hands.

Also, what's with the cringey cowboy-speak? It's not been the 19th century for a while now.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by Beowolff

Btw... and FYI any 'mature' REAL player/band member will tell you that there's little change in playing gigs in clubs down through the years, so actual 'time-lines' don't really matter that much.

How do I know when I've ascended to a mature REAL band member? Is there a form to fill out?
Quote by K33nbl4d3
IQ's of over 50 have better things to do with their lives than read stories about the struggles of playing gigs in 'Nam. Pre-retirement most people don't have all that much spare time on their hands.

"Are you speaking 'matter of factly?" ---Or, are you speaking 'wistfully.' I'm assuming the latter.

Yes, I am retired 'now'... but prior to that I was a supervisor for a 'very' large company, and I worked 12 to 14 hours per day (on average), six (and usually 7) days a week, 350 or so days a year, and did this for 25 plus years. In 25 years I took 'one' week of vacation, and missed a grand total of three days for the whole 25 years. ---And I 'easily' found time to read. A lot of time to read, actually. If 'you' can't do this as well, then perhaps the problem is with 'you' and how you manage your time. Or (shrugs) maybe you don't see the need for reading or like to read. Sadly, some people don't.

Anyway, here's a link on Time Management that 'might' help.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Five-Simple-Time-Management-Tips-For-to-Do-Lists&id=1502392

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Also, what's with the cringey cowboy-speak? It's not been the 19th century for a while now.

Though I have a pretty fair education including a few degrees, and though I speak four different languages, I 'do' admittedly type the same as I talk... as a Southerner, proud of my Southern heritage. I grew up and have lived on (and still do) on farms and ranches (shrugs) so maybe that's what you're picking up. Actually I don't care 'what' you're picking up, and 'why' should I? How I talk is how I talk, and I've got a sneaking suspicion that I likely 'talk' and 'sound' more educated than you do. Not that it matters though, after all, we ALL talk like we talk. And why should 'you', or 'I', or 'anyone' care about that? And if you do care...again, why should I?

But...if you need help on Southern lingo, here's perhaps a 'helpful' link for you.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2121639_talk-southern-accent.html

But thanks for your comments. Very telling, actually.
You see, time management is a trade-off. It's about usefulness or enjoyment versus the time needed. Reading what you wrote in the OP doesn't look enjoyable enough to justify doing it. This textual pissing contest, however, is. At least it is for me. Judging by the length of your responses it is for you too.

They genuinely still say "partner", huh? Which state? Wait, never mind, my lack of judgement in time management allowed me to check your profile.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by blake1221
How do I know when I've ascended to a mature REAL band member? Is there a form to fill out?

That's actually a GREAT question, and shows you've got your thinking cap on! But actually you can be a 'real' band member at any age... concerning this thread the question though should probably be, 'how do I know when I've ascended to a mature REAL band member that can play in a club (where they're likely to have a brawl?'

You're what---24? Or so? So you're obviously old enough to play a gig in a club where bar brawls/fights 'might' break out. If you're not already playing, either solo or as a band member, then it's going to be up to you to find your way on that.

And whether you and or 'your' band actually play in clubs where fights could break out is going to be 'up' to you guys. It's risky, yeah, people get hurt, people even get killed in those joints...but the beer's usually free, the chicks hot, and sometimes the money is even good. ---The EXPERIENCE though is un-rivaled!

A good club player can play ANYWHERE ANY TIME! And can feed himself any where in the world and even keep some pocket change around from time to time.

Sadly there's no form to fill out, per say, though. And if there is, it's the form of 'hard knocks' and real life experience that only comes with TIME SPENT actually doing (or trying to do) it.

Good luck if that's the road you decided to travel.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
You see, time management is a trade-off. It's about usefulness or enjoyment versus the time needed. Reading what you wrote in the OP doesn't look enjoyable enough to justify doing it. This textual pissing contest, however, is. At least it is for me. Judging by the length of your responses it is for you too.

They genuinely still say "partner", huh? Which state? Wait, never mind, my lack of judgement in time management allowed me to check your profile.

You checked my profile? Great! You really do have an over 50 IQ. Damnation but that makes me happy and I salute you! But nah', I don't specifically like pissing contests, textual or otherwise, as they're pretty damned childish actually and an even 'bigger' waste of everyone's time (bigger even than reading my simple posts, har-har!) But then I ain't scared either. After the war, there ain't much that does scare me. (something I hope you never have to experience, btw.)

I do (however) like to write, so guilty of that.

And yeah, we still say, partner, pard, buddy, bud, and the like. Along with y'all, ain't, sho-nuff, etc.

Not yet no.

My drummer was doing sound for a band once and they started playing copperhead road and 3 fights broke out a girl jumped on a table and started kicking beer bottles and another girl crashed through the bands drumset

Pretty much the normal for Copperhead Road though
Quote by Jmoarguitar
Not yet no.

My drummer was doing sound for a band once and they started playing copperhead road and 3 fights broke out a girl jumped on a table and started kicking beer bottles and another girl crashed through the bands drumset

Pretty much the normal for Copperhead Road though

^^^ Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about. People goin' nuts like that for no (apparent) reason. Ha! Seen that very thing too...girls up on tables kicking beer bottles and whiskey glasses while dudes were slugging it out all around them. ---must be some primitive fertility rite or something. ---and yeah, I gotta' admit, Copperhead Road would be a good 'crap' stomping song to brawl with.

(seen a few fat peeps pushed around in Thailand too, btw...) Soy Cowboy (in Bangkok) and other places can be damned dangerous places to party! Especially off the main drags.
Last edited by Beowolff at Jun 15, 2014,
You must have literally nothing else to do, if you spend that much time writing out posts on an off-topic part of a guitar forum.
ill play your gig, pilgrim
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
This one time back in 1913 I was playing French horn in this ballet called the Rite of Spring and I honestly did not know wtf I was playing (and apparently nobody else did either). About 3 minutes in the whole crowd started rioting and throwing chairs and food at the dancers, so I was like "Homie I'm outie 3000" and dipped.
I've seen bar fights while playing, always kept playing because you're safe onstage. It's when you're in the crowd that you have to run.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by TheChaz
Certain 'words' I put in quotes for no 'explainable' reason.

Huh... I wonder why you do that? Some sort of unconscious 'reflex' condition or something similar? Any acute muscular pain involved with it? Try rubbing your tummy with one hand and patting your head with the other at the same time? Wait, Hyperekplexia, maybe?

Anyway, if that's the case then here's a link that 'might' help: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/08/09/new-cause-rare-tartle-disorder-found/

And good luck. Really.

Quote by Malchius
You must have literally nothing else to do, if you spend that much time writing out posts on an off-topic part of a guitar forum.

D'oh... I'm retired, it's Sunday, waiting on the grand kids to come over. Nothing much happening here since I've already power-washed the driveway and deck and helped get our grill and fire-pit going. ---So Of course I don't have a lot to do till it's time to throw on the steaks and porkchops. 'Course I have to kinda' ask 'you' the same question, ---since you took the time to drop a one line question in here about 'how I write' and 'how much, I write'.

So, I will and here goes: You must have literally nothing to else to do if you spend that much time worrying about my writing and asking me dumb questions in an off topic guitar forum.

How'd I do? Did it sound as cool coming from me as it did from you?
Quote by Skullivan
This one time back in 1913 I was playing French horn in this ballet called the Rite of Spring and I honestly did not know wtf I was playing (and apparently nobody else did either). About 3 minutes in the whole crowd started rioting and throwing chairs and food at the dancers, so I was like "Homie I'm outie 3000" and dipped.

Sure you did. Hey, I'd give you a five star for imagination...except I saw that 'same' exact episode on the Fall Guy.

Ripping off the Bionic Man just ain't that cool.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I've seen bar fights while playing, always kept playing because you're safe onstage. It's when you're in the crowd that you have to run.

That's usually a solid truth! ^^^ Only thing is...when some nut starts throwing lead. -----Then it's time to boogie.
Beowolffffff. This is not 'The Gear Page'. Don't expect seriousness.

Over on TGP you could be king with stories like that, but here, not so much.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by deadsmileyface
Old people should be banned from this website

How old is old?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
How old is old?

anyone over 40 should be banned from the pit. anyone over 60 should be banned from all the forums.
banned
Quote by Mephaphil
Beowolffffff. This is not 'The Gear Page'. Don't expect seriousness.

Over on TGP you could be king with stories like that, but here, not so much.

Who wants to be a king? Ha!

There's a difference between seriousness and civility, guy. The thing is, not many around here seem to 'know' that difference. It'd be easy to say that civility comes with maturity, but that's not always true. Sadly bravdo gumps are bravdo gumps, young or old. There's a few civil 'and' young people on here, along with some very good older dudes that know the score and act right. It's for 'them' that I write. ---not for the others.

Quote by deadsmileyface
Old people should be banned from this website

Perhaps they should be, but then of course there'd go maybe three fourths or more of the tabs and other contributions on here too. Which would pretty much put this place right out of business. Take yourself for instance...other than hanging on the forums, how much do YOU contribute? Any tabs at all? Reviews? Lessons? Anything at all other than sour-arsed forum posts here in the OT?

Yeah...

And something else, come hell or high water, one day (much sooner than you think) you'll be one of us... just another old person. And somebody will likely be telling YOU the very same thing. Just wait and see...

And that's gonna' be a hoot. Heck, I'm already laughing over it.
Page 1 of 2