Hey out there buoys and gulls. Well, I've gotten myself into a fun little bar band (http://www.youtube.com/user/barscotch/videos). The wife is singing with me, and I found another guitar player with musical tastes almost identical to mine.

Now the work: I've just had the go-ahead, as a Father's Day present, to get myself a wah pedal. Now here's a bit of a mystery. How in the Hellispont can Guitar Center's used gear section have so many Dunlop and Vox wahs for under $50??? I mean, they have like a page and a half of just Crybabys (mostly GCB95) for $40 or less! Are they cheapo versions? Are they so used they're basically broken now? Obviously it's a little hard to justify a drive from Indiana to Kansas just to try out a pedal. But if I order one, am I just going to get screwed? Has anybody here ever ordered something from them based on a web browse? Could you share with me your impressions/experiences of it?
I have had several excellent experiences with GC used gear. The reason they have such cheap prices is because they have so damn many. If the one you order doesn't work, just take it back to the local GC and they refund you no question. I have found the best way to get stuff is to call the store that has the used pedal in stock. Talk to someone there and ask them to try it out. They are for the most part musicians too and don't want to sell shit. I have purchased 2 guitars, (one of which didn't work when I got it, had a bad pickup which they replaced,) a wah, a recording interface, and a controller from GC used.
I like Cheetos!
Like Leftimus said, they can do it because they have so many. Economies of scale.

As for their policies, I've gotten some good deals from GC's selection of used gear. So far, only one thing was defective, and in got a full refund on it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by LeftimusMaximus
I have had several excellent experiences with GC used gear. The reason they have such cheap prices is because they have so damn many. If the one you order doesn't work, just take it back to the local GC and they refund you no question. I have found the best way to get stuff is to call the store that has the used pedal in stock. Talk to someone there and ask them to try it out. They are for the most part musicians too and don't want to sell shit. I have purchased 2 guitars, (one of which didn't work when I got it, had a bad pickup which they replaced,) a wah, a recording interface, and a controller from GC used.

^ This! ^

With a birthday around the corner, I was given a budget and told to get whatever I wanted. I've been wanting to get back into playing, but just have a couple of Cheapass™ acoustics here so wanted to pick up a decent electric. Was considering one of the popular "starter packs", but was steered away from them by the folks here.

So last week I did some snooping on GC's website, and found a nice Epi G-400 and a Vypyr 75 that were well within my budget. I called the managers (the items were at two different stores) and had them go get them while I was on the phone, had them look them over and give me their honest assessment. Leftimus is absolutely correct: these guys are, over and above anything else, serious musicians (one manager at least is in his own band.) So it would have been counterproductive to blow sunshine up my arse since I'd only be returning them if they weren't spot-on as advertised (virtually all used gear has a 30-day return policy unless advertised "as-is".)

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on them both, and had them here the next day. The result: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1646976

Been absolutely loving them both! The amp is a beast, and the G-400 is absolutely perfect so far as action, intonation, etc.

Now, I know this didn't specifically answer your question about pedals. But in more general terms, don't be afraid to pick up a good used piece of gear. Call the store directly if you have to and have them double-check it for you while you're on with them. They're not likely to BS you, and if it sucks they'll probably tell you straight-up that it sucks.

Hope this helps! And Happy Father's Day!
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
I have bought tons of used gear at GC with little to no issue. as for the pedals they're fine. new those only go for $70-80 so used will be cheap. as mentioned thye get tons of trade ins so no point in trying to sqeeze the most out them price wise. they often throw discontinued models that are new into the used section as well. have bought several pedals like that. sure you don't get the box it came in but big deal still new and maybe only demoed a few times in the store.
Quote by bigdrewlittle
The wife is singing with me,

You lost me on this part right here.

But seriously, Crybaby's are not that expensive new, $65ish, so used they are going to be fairly cheap.

Check out Morley wahs, IMO much better than Vox or Dunlop. I have ordered several pedals from them with great luck (one was a Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah) a few years ago and all still function just fine. I have also bought several amps from them online with great success. The nice thing is they have a 30 day return policy if anything does go wrong.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
GC's used site is probably the best place to buy used equipment. I just received a Line 6 JM4 from GC's used site a couple days ago. If the unit has any unstated flaws you can return it for a full refund incl s&h. If you just don't like it you can return it for a refund minus s&h.
Wow thanks everyone. I don't feel nearly as weird about it now. Nice to hear good feedback. I'm slowly but surely going to start adding pedals as I can, and at prices like that, if they aren't crap, it looks like I may be doing it mostly through GC. Side question - I have an idea for a pedalboard plan. Would this be a good forum in which to post it to get feedback and ask questions? Thanks again and happy Father's Day.
Yeah, the GG&A forum is the place to talk about amps, pedals, guitar hardware/pickups.

The other thing that is cool, if you do buy from the online used site you can return it to your local GC for a refund. I personally call the store it is in and ask the people on the phone about condition/wear and extra photos. Then I will just order from that store directly and sometimes you can get it for a little better price if you call that store and ask.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bigdrewlittle
Hey guys - a question - I want to put an image in a post, how do I do that?

well you can use photobucket or another hosting site and use the tags.
You can also attach photos by using the advanced posting options, but you are limited to file size to do this
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Because it is a very common and cheap pedal.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
GC is the first place I go when I look for a pedal. Usually cheaper used than anything on ebay.

I will say though... Stay away from the WAHS unless you are ready and willing to change out the wah pot.
^ Morleys have an optical eye, so no pot to go bad at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate