It seems like whenever I make metal songs I desperately want tons and tons of delay on the vocals and the overall track. Do any of you overuse reverb or delays? how do you avoid it and or know when your doing it?
I have a general rule for levelling reverb that I stick to most of the time. 'Bring it up to the point where you can just hear it, then back it of a decibel or two.' Works like a charm, if I then mute and unmute the reverb it's noticeable when it's not there but you can't really hear the effect as much as you feel it.
People who are used to playing with their delay and/or reverb on all the time can become 'insensitive' to the sound (in the sense that it all kinda sounds fine to you while everyone else thinks it just sounds plain sh*tty)

I owned two Boss delays some years ago which both broke down on me and for some reason I never got around to replacing 'em. Last month I finally purchased a TC Flashback and I couldn't help but notice how picky I've become when engaging that effect: I rarely feel the need to switch it on when the reverb on my amp is dialed in, there are some presets I rarely use and I rarely turn the 'mix' knob past 10-11 'o clock (especially when the delay time doesn't match my playing rhythm)

It's kinda hard to judge whether I sound 'better' than I used to (never got around to recoring myself) but I like to think I do since I'm usually not that big a fan of guitarists who hide their playing behind a thick wall of echo. It wasnt even a conscious choice to hold back on the delay -it just sort of happened- but learning to live without the effect taught me to appreciate the sweet awesomeness of a dry guitar sound

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Jun 15, 2014,
Mix in a way where the reverb/delay give the track some character but no one knows what you're doing. I use a lot of large hall reverbs because I feel like they add more to the track but without anyone noticing I put any reverb at all.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

I used to do what Chatterbox said and use just a slight reverb so it was barely noticable as it gave the vocals a little more presence without totally overdoing it or creating an echo.

However lately I have been playing with tempo shifts. If you increase tempo on your vocal tracks just right you can increase the speed of the vocals without actually changing the pitch or sound of your voice, it more or less just crunches it together.