Hey guys,

So i'm selling off my DSL head (really just want a change and something that isn't so harsh and bright.)

Looking for something with killer cleans with a decent amount of gain on tap. I really wouldn't be getting much heavier than this gain wise (with OD boost)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuAbrPa8urk

Not looking to spend more than 1k.

Help a bro out! cheers
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Last edited by SOADriff at Jun 15, 2014,
Used Orange Rockerverb.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Mesa Heartbreaker (if you can get them in budget?)
Mesa Blue Angel
Peavey Classic 50
Jet City JCA5212 (this is a Soldano Lucky 13 circuit and is very different than the rest of the JCA's)
Laney VC30
Laney TT50
Orange TH30

Have you tried retubing your DSL?
What DSL is it?
What speakers are you using?

I have an old DSL100, and it might be a bright amp if you dial it in that way, but mine is quite warm sounding
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any used Mesa amp, HRD with TS9, AC30 with Ratt. Deluxe Reverb with TS9. Lots of good choices that have stood the test of time. Any amp can be warmed up with skillful use of the tone controls but Fender/Vox/Mesa typically offer the sweetest clean tones with smooth OD.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by VeilSide
well i know that minus the bear use an ac30

The singer does. Dave uses a Mesa Lonestar and a Fender Twin though.

Lonestar would be a good choice. Might be able to get an older one for about 1k but that might be a stretch.
Last 4 times they came to NC they only had Mesa Lonestars on stage. Some of them could be rentals I guess... But sounded glorious.

What are your setting on your DSL? I've had an AC30, orange amps, Mesa's, and a bunch of others over the years and I don't find the DSL harsh at all. Bright yea. But the presence and eq knobs work for that.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 15, 2014,
Fender Twin? Or a used Lonestar? I've heard good things around here about the revto/tremoverb (but it has mostly been from trashedlostfdup )
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame