I use Logic X as a DAW, and since recently I have access to an Alesis Dm10 drum kit which my friend purchased off e-bay. Previously I have used Logic's drum kits and a midi keyboard to make beats, and I was wondering what the advantages are of using an electronic drum kit as opposed to a software MIDI one. Also, do you usually only record MIDI notes or do you record the actual sounds of the electronic drum kit into a DAW as audio? Which one would result in better quality, and how do I go about doing this?

I tried recording the DM10 into Logic X through a MIDI track. I then dragged the recorded beat to a Portland drum kit track, and noticed that MIDI notes were being recorded without me actually playing anything. This was only one (or two, I can't remember) note, and as soon as I started playing it was no longer being recorded, which was weird. My guess is that one of the pads is damaged, since the drums were bought off e-bay. Either that or the sensitivity is too high?

In my opinion, the Alesis sounds are better than those of kits in Logic, so I was wondering how I could go about recording just audio? Ideally, I'd like each MIDI pad (toms, snare cymbal etc) to be recorded separately on a different track. How can I do this?

So yeah, as you can see I've got quite a lot of questions, but to sum it up, how can I get the best, most authentic drum sounds with the things I have at my disposal? Is it necessary to use certain plug-ins for electronic drums or software drums to sound professional?

Thanks in advance to any replies
I went through the same exact situation, kit, software and everything.

I'll answer what i can.
What i do is i just track straight through MIDI, seemed the best for me and being able to adjust everything on the software is really nice, especially missed notes and what not, you can just cut and add whatever you want.

I suppose if you had a 8 inputs on an interface you could track each instrument, but that seems tedious in my opinion.

I'd stick with MIDI and just adjust all the software drum sounds to something you like, theres a lot of options and you can also buy other softwares to add to the library.

Hope I helped!
Ibanez K-5 Fieldy Signature
Ernie Ball SUB Series Sterling Stingray 4
Yorkville XC115 Bass Cab(w/head)

"It's better to burn out than fade away"
-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain
Quote by FedEx8
I went through the same exact situation, kit, software and everything.

I'll answer what i can.
What i do is i just track straight through MIDI, seemed the best for me and being able to adjust everything on the software is really nice, especially missed notes and what not, you can just cut and add whatever you want.

I suppose if you had a 8 inputs on an interface you could track each instrument, but that seems tedious in my opinion.

I'd stick with MIDI and just adjust all the software drum sounds to something you like, theres a lot of options and you can also buy other softwares to add to the library.

Hope I helped!

I've only got a focusrite scarlett 2 input interface, and I actually just connected the Alesis module straight into my mac. When you say 'straight through MIDI', do you mean you only used the kit as a trigger which played the sounds of the drums in Logic? If that's the case, did you do anything to the drums to get a better sound of them? I much prefer the alexis drum kit sounds over Logic, and I know there's plug ins and what not but I was just interested in getting the best out of what I got

Cheers for the reply
Quote by mickel_w
I've only got a focusrite scarlett 2 input interface, and I actually just connected the Alesis module straight into my mac. When you say 'straight through MIDI', do you mean you only used the kit as a trigger which played the sounds of the drums in Logic? If that's the case, did you do anything to the drums to get a better sound of them? I much prefer the alexis drum kit sounds over Logic, and I know there's plug ins and what not but I was just interested in getting the best out of what I got

Cheers for the reply

I get what you are saying but you shouldn't use the Alesis sounds. You need a way to send the midi information that you are creating every time you hit a pad into your DAW. This means if the alesis kit is really old and has no USB you will need to get a usb-midi converter cable. You will use a midi driver to allow logic to understand the midi input and then you will have a studio ready electric drum kit. Get a good drum plug in like EZ drummer, addictive drums or Steven slate drums and then Jam away. Use the software to get your drums to sound of the utmost quality and professionalism...Fame and fortune?

If you record the alesis straight you are going to make your life a hundred times more difficult in the long run, just trust me on this.
I have a DM5 module on my electric drums. It has a MIDI thru where i just plug in my interface.
The sounds on Logic are way better then what my module had. But yeah lots of plug ins to look through. MIDI is gonna be your easiest bet though.
Ibanez K-5 Fieldy Signature
Ernie Ball SUB Series Sterling Stingray 4
Yorkville XC115 Bass Cab(w/head)

"It's better to burn out than fade away"
-Neil Young/Kurt Cobain