I held a guitar for the first time last week. I've been trying the "lessons" in Rocksmith and I'm really struggling. I struggle with all the guitar terminology. I struggle with the video game interface, I never played video games as a kid. And everything goes so fast. It never explains what to do with my fret hand. It took me 30 minutes on Google just to figure out what an open note was, I'm just a noob. There was this big red line, I had no idea what they wanted, but yeah it was open note. They say, let's play the G string, but they never taught me which string was what. It just assumes you know something.

Someone said to avoid the lessons, and try missions... Should I? Is Guitarbots better for noobs? Is there a YouTube guy, or noob website that would be better? Or should I just seek out a real life teacher?

I'd really like some, scales, or just something that I could play over and over to get my hands in the habit. Like if you say 9th fret g string, that takes me like 30 seconds to process. Haha! I don't know anything.
Um, scratch the idea of missions, I just checked, there are no missions in the menu of Rocksmith, so I have no idea what missions are.
Firstly: if you can afford to take regular lessons from a good teacher then do so. Seriously, I've been playing a while and am capable of teaching myself but I would still have a teacher if I had the time and money.

If you can't then this is what I always recommend for beginners: http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php Justin's a really good teacher and musician and this course should give you a solid foundation to build on.

Scales aren't really what you need; you need more time getting comfortable with the instrument and to get the absolute basics down: open chords, simple melodies that kind of thing.

Don't worry about everything taking time, you're a beginner and it's all new so it's bound to take some time to do things; just concentrate on getting it right and it'll become natural in time.

Rocksmith is, at least from what I know, a decent practice tool but you need to know what you're doing and how to use it to really get anything from it so for now don't worry about it. Just work on getting comfortable with the basics of what you need to do for now and come back to it when you have a better idea of what you're doing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks for the encouragement! I just found the sticky for beginners, and I watched all of Justin's videos up to the first chord, which I think was D, and I practiced D for a long time. I can still feel the strings in my fingertips haha!

Yeah I'll go back to Rocksmith later, but Justin moves slow enough for a guitar moron. I mean, I didn't even know about posture of how to hold a guitar pick. So it's been really helpful so far!
Quote by snaphappy
Yeah I'll go back to Rocksmith later, but Justin moves slow enough for a guitar moron. I mean, I didn't even know about posture of how to hold a guitar pick. So it's been really helpful so far!

No one knows these things when they start, it definitely doesn't make you a guitar moron to not know this.

Just keep it up dude, you'll get it soon enough
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Justin Guitar is great. Lots of good things to practice/learn there and most of it is free. Id say do as much as you can to learn.

I take private lessons and its really helpful if you get someone who knows what they are doing.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Got Rocksmith 2014 on order with Amazon, should be here this week. In the meanwhile, yeah...Justin is the way to go. Good luck and welcome!
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
If you are a beginner, you would be well served by buying the original Rocksmith, and importing the songs into Rocksmith 2014. The setlist from the first game is much more beginner friendly.

Rocksmith is a great tool for learning songs. You definitely need to supplement your learning with more tradition tools as well, though.
I say lose the Rocksmith and go for Justinguitar.com. I've followed his lessons and he teaches A LOT. He teaches from scratch, so even if you've never held a guitar in your life before, he will turn you into a great player, guaranteed. Just follow EVERY lesson and do the exercises.
Quote by Squidtech
If you are a beginner, you would be well served by buying the original Rocksmith, and importing the songs into Rocksmith 2014. The setlist from the first game is much more beginner friendly.

Rocksmith is a great tool for learning songs. You definitely need to supplement your learning with more tradition tools as well, though.

+1 on starting with the first Rocksmith.

Justin is also great for learning the basics.

There is an in-song option called "riff repeater", you can set the speed (and other features) there as slow as you wish.

Most importantly - don't give up! Don't just use Rocksmith - feel free to supplement with the ton of free info online.
Last edited by DrRus at Jun 23, 2014,
Justin is great, Rocksmith is great, use both.

And anything else you can find.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin