Hey guys got a blackstar ht 50 head with a custom 2x12 cab with 2 man o war speakers by eminence. I'm having a really hard time getting some good tones out of this thing, it's incredibly bassy and the mids mud everything up. I've been searching for a clean crunch for a long time and thought with the ht 50s appetite for distortion and the man o wars high mids it would all balance out. Anybody have either of these products, any recommendations? I'm running a gibson push tone with burst bucker pros, am wondering about getting a strat to brighten things up a bit.
Maybe just back down the gain some. Too much gain on the front end often turns everything to mush. Set all tone controls to 12 o'clock and guitar tone wide open. Turn down the gain til things sound more reasonable and fine-tune your tone controls from there.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 15, 2014,
The ManoWar is a scooped speaker like the Celestion G12T75 that it is based on. The Governor (V30)has strong mids

Have you backed off the bass knob?
What are your mids and highs set to?
How much gain are you using?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 15, 2014,
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm talking about the natural tone of the amp/speaker/guitar combo, I've done everything imaginable with controls on amp gain etc, even my 10 band eq pedal does little to reduce the bass. Is this just a bad combination of equipment? Anybody own an ht 50 head?
Maybe turn the ISF towards the "American" side? From what I understand, that side of the knob gives a tighter sound if it does what Blackstar advertises.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
See if you can find a few different speakers in different cabs, V30, G12m25,G12h30 all have a decent amount of mids and have a more subdued bass than the ManoWar

I have a cab with Eminence V12's that sounds great, a 2x12 with G12h30's that sounds a bit more scooped than the V12's. I also have a 1x12 with the Eminence GB128 which is similar to a G12m25 but it has a better bass responce
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Turning it towards the British vox tones on the isf control actually helps it break through the mud a bit but the bass remains over powering and I lose the soft cleans. I'm guna try some single coil on it and if all else fails replace the factory tubes
So what is your bass set to? Actually what are all the knobs set to? saying the amp naturally sounds that way is being very vauge.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Cajundaddy
Maybe just back down the gain some. Too much gain on the front end often turns everything to mush. Set all tone controls to 12 o'clock and guitar tone wide open. Turn down the gain til things sound more reasonable and fine-tune your tone controls from there.

This^

I don't really understand how you can turn the bass back, and throw a 10 band EQ in there, and still have muddy bass.

I would just keep screwing with the EQ, until I get something close to what I'm looking for, then use the 10-band to fine tune things. Use the 10-band to roll off what you think are the harsh bass and mid frequencies, then turn up the ones that you like.

If all else fails, then like Robb said, try out some different speakers/cabs.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Have you tried a Tubescreamer yet (or variant)? Run it between your guitar and amp input, volume maxed, drive/gain zeroed, tone to taste. You'll also probably need to back off the gain on your amp as well, because the TS will add gain even with its gain knob turned to zero.

This is typically what people do to "tighten" their amp's overdrive sound and get rid of muddiness. They actually cut your bass a bit, which might also be good for your setup. You will also get more mids and more cut in a band situation.
The Blackstar ht50 head will do a very nice crunch sound. Just a lot darker than the typical "marshall crunch" sound. More lows. More beef.

Take your head to your nearest shop and try out a few cabinets. Some amps just sound like crap through a certain type of speaker. Just not voiced any where in the same area code. I've had a similar experience with a blackstar and eminence governor speakers. I have no experience with the man o war. I just recommend trying a different cab/speakers before you give up.