hey guys. I've got a pair of greenbacks (25w 8 ohms) and a pair of v30's (60w 16 ohms). I figured out a way to wire these so the impedence is somewhere between 9-10 ohms (based on actual resistance readings from the speakers I took with my meter) And I know it's not ideal to run outside of 4-8-16 but If i run the amp set at 8 ohms, i should be fine. but with them being different wattages, the greenbacks are going to kind of get overshadowed am i right? the 30's will draw more power and the greenbacks wont operate as efficiently? i don't know the math for it, but i've heard this is true. Any way around this? I'm guessing just finding two more greenbacks or g12h's at 8 ohms would be best?

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
Last edited by arteestic1 at Jun 15, 2014,
Did you use a regular ohm meter or an impedance bridge to measure the impedance of the speakers? An ohm meter is an invalid test, as it can only measure wire resistance (DC resistance) and does not take reactance (AC resistance) into account. If the speaker says 8 ohms on the back, it is assumed that the impedance is 8 ohms, regardless of manufacturing tolerances.

Just because one speaker is rated at a higher wattage doesn't mean it'll draw that wattage from whatever they are plugged into. It just means that it can handle that much power being delivered to it. A 65W speaker and a 25W speaker will not try to suck their respective wattage out of a 10W amp, for example.

It's kinda confusing to explain unless you know about ohm's law and power law. You may want to read up on them. They describe the math behind this kind of stuff.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_2/1.html

That is a great online (and freely downloadable) electronics textbook. The link above is the ohm's law part. The first 4 pages are the ones applicable here (though they only deal with DC and not AC, you can still get a good idea).
Just used a regular Fluke Multi-meter. No impedance bridge. I'll have to look up the difference. but I'll check the link...thanks.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab