Hey guys, I have few questions about picking and fingers while picking.
At first I know that I must do as less moves as possible and be relaxed.
And I'm trying to implement those thing to my picking technique, anyway sometimes I see that my index finger and thumb move a bit while picking. I'm using my wrist to pick, picking movement is not from fingers. I feel like my technique is not bad, I tried to eliminate those finger movements for quite long time and nothing worked. I watched some videos and noticed that some good players make such movements too.

So my question is: Moving fingers while picking is always bad? I should try to make it pure wrist motion?
Your thumb and forefinger will definitely move when you play, it gives you finer control over what you're doing. Just do what feels right. Well okay they won't move much, just to change the attack of your pick sometimes.
"This one is machine and nerve, and has its mind concluded
This one is but flesh and faith, and is the more deluded."
Last edited by RealUnrealRob at Jun 15, 2014,
Good to know. I was just afraid that my fingers have to be completely frozen.
Looking at them moving was kind of worrying thing.
Now I understand why I move them - to change the attack. This fingers motions happens mostly when I'm string skipping or just changing string.
Same thing for me Szanks. When I'm practicing very slowly, making the smallest movements, my index moves a tiny bit when I pick the next string. But I use my wrist to pick.
I try to have my fingers completely frozen, I just want my movements come only from the wrist.
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Quote by szanks
Hey guys, I have few questions about picking and fingers while picking.
At first I know that I must do as less moves as possible and be relaxed.
And I'm trying to implement those thing to my picking technique, anyway sometimes I see that my index finger and thumb move a bit while picking. I'm using my wrist to pick, picking movement is not from fingers. I feel like my technique is not bad, I tried to eliminate those finger movements for quite long time and nothing worked. I watched some videos and noticed that some good players make such movements too.

So my question is: Moving fingers while picking is always bad? I should try to make it pure wrist motion?

It's commonly considered finer technique if you can eliminate wrist movement and pick with the index and thumb.
Yeah, but just yesterday I've watched a video where someone said that this is actually the difference between shreders and "normal" players - shredders don't move their fingers a bit, the entire move is from the wrist... But if you're not that into shredding, then you should be fine.
The faster you play the smaller, and precise your picking motion from your wrist has to be.
Quote by bartosz.boczula
Yeah, but just yesterday I've watched a video where someone said that this is actually the difference between shreders and "normal" players - shredders don't move their fingers a bit, the entire move is from the wrist... But if you're not that into shredding, then you should be fine.

Wot. Who said this? I haven't seen a guitarist that doesn't flick their fingers when playing. It's very easy to spot when playing slow.

But what would be the point in eliminating finger movement anyways? If anything, eliminating wrist movement can help with accuracy.
I find that moving my fingers while picking helps a lot my speed and accuracy. I'm more into metal rhythm though, don't know what shredders have to say.