I currently own a Fender Squier, which has served me well for a few years. But now that I'm out of school I can finally put money towards something other than tuition, so I'm looking to buy a new guitar within $300-$500. I was thinking something along the lines of either an Epiphone or Ibanez, but I am open to other suggestions as to what would be good to buy- even if it means extending my budget another $50-$100.

Budget: $300-$500
Favourite Artists: Muse, John Mayer, The Killers, Weezer, RATM, ATR, COB, SOAD, Trivium, Queen
Preferences: 22 frets, Epiphone, Ibanez, Telecaster
Pickups: Passive, humbuckers or single coils
New or used: New
Current Gear: Seagull Isys Acoustic, Fender Squier Electric, Frontman 15g amp
Last edited by Meticulous at Jun 15, 2014,
Get a used PRS SE custom24 or check out some Godin, since they are a Canadian brand and should be cheaper in your area.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Amp?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Interesting mix there. The Killers, Weezer and Trivium.

In that price range, I recently picked up a Fender Blacktop /w Floyd Rose for $400 at a Pawn shop. It was used, but looked as good as new. I think they are $599 new.

The Humbuckers will go a long way towards making Trivium sound better than any single coil will, but they tune down to Drop C I think.
Look for a used Peavey Vypyr 30 ($150ish) and a used guitar.
Your amp is not good and most of your sound is in the amp. you should have $300-$350 left and look at some used guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Peavey Vypyr is a great idea, I've got the 15 watt version, and it's pretty good for the price (though mine was free, got it from my guitar teacher, who actually owned two of them).

The Epiphone LP Standard Plus is pretty good, for $499, it's what I've got, comes with humbuckers that you can coil split for single coil sounds. Stock pickups are a bit less muddy than on the regular standard (no coil-split), in my opinion.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Schecter Damien Platinum FR
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Going to echo Robb and Dom, a nice "gently pre-owned" Peavey Vypyr may be a worthwhile investment.

Was going to post a few links but noticed you're in Canada, so not sure what the duty fee would be shipping them north. But to give some feel, I found Vypyr 30's for $99, and Vypyr 75's for around $150. You can use those as a baseline when you go looking.

I'm no expert on guitars (yet), but if you want to stick to a Stratalike, I've seen some really nice Parkers lately that you may want to consider. Again, don't be afraid to look on the used market, you can find some real bargains.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
Godin has a nice selection of guitars in that price range- their Session line is their take on Strats, and they're very nice.

G&L's Tribute line is their analog to the comparably priced MIM Fenders. They're made in Indonesia with American parts, and are a great bargain. Some people think they're better than the MIMs. Since you like Telecasters, consider the ASAT Tributes.

This is typical:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-ASAT-Special-Deluxe-Flame-Maple-Carved-Top-with-Deluxe-G-L-gig-bag-/141320122297?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 16, 2014,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 16, 2014,
That's a pretty big range going from John Mayer to Trivium.

I'd probably get some humbucker les paul type with a coil split push pull. While single coils sound glorious and will do the Mayer stuff 24/7.. it'll be tough on the Trivium stuff.

Maybe a HSS Strat with a hot bridge humbucker and a vintage low output neck pickup. The 2 pickups probably wouldn't match volume wise switching back and forth between neck/bridge but it will cover it all in one guitar.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 16, 2014,