What are your thoughts on the recent popularity of these "movements?"

The anti-fat-shaming movement
The anti-bullying movement
The anti-slut-shaming movement
The increasingly popularity of feminism
The anti-homophobe movement

I seem to be hearing a lot about these new "movements" lately. Are they legitimate movements? Why are so many new ones popping up now? Do they make a difference? Are they a sign that people are generally becoming more accepting of others? Or are they just "fads" fueled by the internet which people subscribe to in order to feel better about themselves?
There have been movements like this throughout history, social media has just made them easier to hear about as they are happening.
Best not to call a man who offers you free pizza a dumb dumb, you dumb dumb.

But if there is oh well mods can close this thread. Im typing on my phone so im not about to put in the effort to search for it.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Best not to call a man who offers you free pizza a dumb dumb, you dumb dumb.

But if there is oh well mods can close this thread. Im typing on my phone so im not about to put in the effort to search for it.

banned
I blame the internet, too many people know their rights. Censorship plz
Last edited by Duffman123 at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
The anti-fat-shaming movement

As a fat person, I don't feel ashamed for being fat. Rather, I can't keep up with friends/family during physical activities/games. If you're cool with being fat, that's koo, you do you. Just might have a heart attack earlier than you would want.
The anti-bullying movement

Bullying will always go on regardless of what is done about it.
The anti-slut-shaming movement

Ayyyyeeee
The increasingly popularity of feminism

Biased because there's an annoying feminist chick in like half my classes.
The anti-homophobe movement

I use f****t a lot derogatorily, I should probs stop.
Probably just the internet making you more aware of it, simply because I'm fairly sure the idea that you should be treated normally regardless of things that you can't control and/or don't affect anyone else isn't hugely revolutionary.
It's a good way to distinguish who's an enlightened and critical thinking human being from who's a shitlord that's for sure.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It's all media driven to make money. You would be surprised the millions you can make by harnessing the hateful emotions of one group and directing it to said people.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Probably just the internet making you more aware of it, simply because I'm fairly sure the idea that you should be treated normally regardless of things that you can't control and/or don't affect anyone else isn't hugely revolutionary.

Makes sense. But I still feel like in the last year or two alone is when I started to see a large number of these movements pop up. I feel like we are just now starting to see how technology is literally changing who we are. Like the revolution in Libya, for example.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Makes sense. But I still feel like in the last year or two alone is when I started to see a large number of these movements pop up. I feel like we are just now starting to see how technology is literally changing who we are. Like the revolution in Libya, for example.

More people are realising you can use the internet to spread messages I guess. To be honest, outside of tumblr the only mention of most of these things I've seen has been people complaining at all the horrifying requests to be treated as people from those who aren't average white men.
Actual things like be a star exist, and does **** all. A little trendy online movement for a few weeks tops isn't going to do anything.
Well intentioned, but led by people who don't care enough about their cause to get out there and do something about the problem.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I don't care because i'm the bad guy.

Fat people need to lose weight.

Nerds need to stand up for themselves.

Women need to stop calling each other sluts, maybe that's a start.

Feminism is great, but being a bitch isnt.

Gays are cool.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
They're all methods for teens on the internet to feel morally superior to strangers.
Quote by Seref
They're all methods for teens on the internet to feel morally superior to strangers.

teens these days are too busy being strung out on marijuana to care about anything!!!
banned
these movements don't exist anywhere except tumblr and a little twitter so they're not real at all. you're more of an inactivist than an activist if you don't do anything more than post about the stuff that pisses you off.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
these movements don't exist anywhere except tumblr and a little twitter so they're not real at all. you're more of an inactivist than an activist if you don't do anything more than post about the stuff that pisses you off.

I see this stuff pretty often and I don't go on Tumblr.

And a lot of those predate social media
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
it is good to treat people with respect. if u disagree, u are bad&notgood
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown