Budget? - $1500 though if I could spend less I would---just looking for the one and final guitar.

Favorite Artists? - Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, basically 1960's-70's Classic rock, AC/DC is about as heavy as I'd play. Just enjoy playing those heavy riffs when guitar was a bigger part of the music than it is now.

Preferences? - No brand allegiance-would prefer something made in USA and would hold resale value. Neck- I am starting to realize I like thicker necks with the strings closer to the fretboard. Shorter scale length seems better.

Pickups? - I honestly don't know, just looking to get the same sound as the same above. I tried a Fender Jaguar and it played GREAT and was very comfortable but it sounded "fuzzy."

New or Used? - Would take used if it was in good shape.

Location? - Phoenix AZ
Current Gear? - Mexican Fender Stratocaster and a Mustang III amp (I know amps have a big part of it and the best amp I have heard sub-$1000 is a Marshall MA50C amp, but it doesn't take headphones and I am a bedroom player.

If I could pick one sound that encompasses mostly what I would like to sound like, it would be the guitar/intro in "Walk this Way" by Aerosmith-not that I play that but it's about what I like.

I went to the guitar shop and played a few guitars. Favorite was Fender Jaguar 50th followed by a 1957 neck Gibson Les Paul. I took the Jaguar home and plugged it into an amp. The Jaguar however has a "fuzz" sound I don't care for. Stratocaster sounds a lot cleaner.

So I'm starting to realize there are an abundance of necks for the same model of guitar and I guess that adds to the confusion. I played a Gibson SG for example and didn't care for it, but if it had a different neck, maybe I would have.

Of all the guitarists I like, only one plays the Stratocaster, Hendrix, and he definitely has a distinctive sound. Everyone else plays something different. Not the reason I'm trying to find another guitar though, I'm just realizing how much difference a more comfortable guitar can make and how it seems to actually make you a better guitarist.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 15, 2014,
Quote by metriccar
Budget? - $1500 though if I could spend less I would---just looking for the one and final guitar.

This is impossible. There's no such thing as the one and final guitar.

Check out Carvin, too. Made in California, all custom.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Guitars & Effects has a good selection of affordable used MIA guitars, mostly from Fender and Gibson, but also PRS, G&L, and others.

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/index.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 15, 2014,
No matter how good your guitar will be, you'll eventually want a new one. There is no "one and final guitar." Each guitar is unique and has features that another guitar won't have.