Hey guys, im playing my first gig at six flags in stl and im really nervous, any pre show tips?
Like the guy above me said, practice. Also if you make a mistake, don't EVER stop to play, shake it off with a smile and keep playing, it is very probable the crowd didn't even notice.

I don't know what style of music you play, but have some stage presence, the crowd will be into your music only if you are. You don't have to jump around all of the time, but you can try closing your eyes, having a relaxed stance, shaking your head, interacting with your bandmembers, and it will make your performance way cooler.

Anyway, good luck man and don't forget to bring everything in double/triple (jacks, strings, picks ...). Oh and I almost forgot the most important tip : have fun !
Last edited by FloodEver at Jun 16, 2014,
Make sure your guitar cable comes out of the guitar, around the strap in a loop, and then to your pedals/amp. Cos otherwise if you step on the cord you can disconnect it..

Do nnot make any noises, noodles, etc between songs. The whole band will give a much more professional presentation if you cleanly end one song, are quiet (maybe say something) and then cleanly start the next song. If you need to tune, have a tuner which mutes the sound, or turn it down at the amp, etc.

Practice your set from start to finish, the exact way you want it to go down on stage. This includes all the transitions between songs.

It's likely the sound will be very very different to what you are used to. Can't do much about that but make sure you experiment in the rehersals with turning various band members up and down and pointing amps towards or away from yourselves so you get an idea of how to alter the sound. Live sound takes a lot of experience and you won't get this right but be ready for it. If you can, do a soundcheck and make some adjustments. A knowledgeable friend walking around in the audience area might help with getting a mix right if there's no house engineer.
Just listen to what the other guys play. When you play gigs, you may notice that the song structre is different from what you have practiced (most of the time because the singer forgets to sing one part or sings the wrong part). You just need to listen to the others and not only focus on your own part. Singers usually decide how the song goes.

So if they leave out a chorus or start singing the wrong part or something, you need to react to it. This has happened many times with our band but we are pretty good musicians so it's not a problem.

One gig we started playing one song and the singer decided to start singing another. So we needed to switch the song on the fly. Luckily both songs were in the same key.

If everybody else makes a mistake and you are the only one that plays it right, you are actually playing wrong because you are the only one that sounds wrong. So again, listen to others. Nobody cares if the whole band accidentally skips one part in a song. That's not a bad mistake. But if somebody in the band doesn't notice it and keeps on playing his part, it is a bad mistake because it sounds bad. So play the songs however you want but make sure all of you are playing the same part of the song. Getting completely lost is the worst mistake.

Also, a couple of wrong notes mean nothing. They happen all the time, even more on the gigs. So don't worry about them at all - nobody hears them (unless there's a lot of them).

I would say practice the endings of your songs. If everybody ends the same song a bit differently, it doesn't sound that great. So if there's a rhythm or something that ends the song, make sure everybody plays it similarly. So that the drummer doesn't stop playing an 8th before or after everybody else stops playing (unless that's what you are after).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 17, 2014,
What to remember on the first gig?

Make sure your gear is reliable before going and keep the spares needed to fix it quickly.

String change? 2 minutes or 10? To often bring spare guitar! Besides strings and silent tuner if you can't do by ear. I had Les Paul with a sharp edge somewhere so I broke to many strings and brought my spare guitar. On the last gig I played the first song and broke a string. Finished and changed to spare guitar. The singer/rhytm guitar then break a string on a locking nut Ibanez on the next song. No spare there and first time for him to break a string but I could change string in 2 minutes on the Les Paul.

Knowing your amp and effects is essential and why it might break down before a solo! Bring spare fuse and screw driver that fits so a change can be done.

My first gig with a band came to a very known song and as I got into the solo the Marshall Major stopped working. Do not boost a Major amp! I did and quickly blew the power tubes but for as this was second time we knew it was a fuse question. So changed fuse and 2-5 more songs. It was video taped too. Pretty funny to watch.

The right cables for the amp and guitar! Speaker cable is different than guitar cable so make sure you got them with you and they work!

Batteries fresh or power supply working.

Remember to bring all gear you plan to use with you to the gig. Forgot my second guitar once. Still at the singers house.

Other than that have fun. Problems do come and you will learn what to do along the way.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Jun 20, 2014,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Don't.
Get.
Drunk.

Not on your first few gigs anyway

But yeah, practice, make sure you're confident in your ability to play the songs. And enjoy yourself man, gigging can be an awesome experience.

Good luck!
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Just about what everyone else said ^^^

You'll be pretty close to crapping yourself before you start but if you've rehearsed enough things will click when you actually start playing and the buzz you get after finishing your first song and hearing the crowd's reactions to it is amazing and NEVER gets old.

You'll have a blast, break a leg!