So I'm thinking about a low-priced wireless system for my guitar and bass rig. Every time I think about it, I look at Line 6's Relay g30, get put off by the negativity online and forget about the whole idea.

Now I'm thinking about Samson systems; the trouble is, there's about 6 different ones and I can't tell what makes the cheaper ones not as good as the more costly ones. Can you guys give me an idea of how good the different units are and what the differences are (besides the obvious beltpack/plug-in transmitter differences, of course)?

If I had the money, I might go the Airline Synth system, with the wireless plug that works on both Fender-style and Gibson-style jacks (I have an Ibanez S8QM with a Fender-style jack to go with my other guitars and basses with Gibson-style jacks), but I might go something like the Concert 88 to save money.

I don't really want to spend anymore than a g30 would cost (so around $300-350 Australian). A bluetooth system would be ideal, but I guess I'm limited to UHF systems unless I go higher up.

What do you guys think? Any alternatives that are as good or better?

(To tell you the truth, I'm only playing at home at the moment, so I don't need a huge range, but I'm sick of standing on and being wound up in cables!)

Thanks in advance!
I'm not sure that I've seen the "negativity online" regarding the Line 6 G30.

The only things I've seen involve a comparison between the G50/90 series and the G30, and the sentiment is usually "if you can afford it, buy the G50," due to the greater range, etc. I have the rack version of the G50. I'd have no qualms about getting the G30 if I were on a budget, and I doubt that I'd recommend a Samson in the same price range over the G30.

Bluetooth systems have generally shorter range (the Bluetooth 4 notwithstanding), so I'm not sure what you're seeing there that's of benefit. It might work well enough as a home system, but I'm not sure I'd trust it beyond that.

Certainly for home use there's no reason not to go with the G30, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it professionally. It's just that I like the G50 better.
Quote by staceap
So I'm thinking about a low-priced wireless system for my guitar and bass rig. Every time I think about it, I look at Line 6's Relay g30, get put off by the negativity online and forget about the whole idea.

Now I'm thinking about Samson systems; the trouble is, there's about 6 different ones and I can't tell what makes the cheaper ones not as good as the more costly ones. Can you guys give me an idea of how good the different units are and what the differences are (besides the obvious beltpack/plug-in transmitter differences, of course)?

If I had the money, I might go the Airline Synth system, with the wireless plug that works on both Fender-style and Gibson-style jacks (I have an Ibanez S8QM with a Fender-style jack to go with my other guitars and basses with Gibson-style jacks), but I might go something like the Concert 88 to save money.

I don't really want to spend anymore than a g30 would cost (so around $300-350 Australian). A bluetooth system would be ideal, but I guess I'm limited to UHF systems unless I go higher up.

What do you guys think? Any alternatives that are as good or better?

(To tell you the truth, I'm only playing at home at the moment, so I don't need a huge range, but I'm sick of standing on and being wound up in cables!)

Thanks in advance!

uhm...
You can often get away with cheaping out on a lot of guitar related hardware, but wireless is not one of them.
Quote by dspellman
I'm not sure that I've seen the "negativity online" regarding the Line 6 G30.

The only things I've seen involve a comparison between the G50/90 series and the G30, and the sentiment is usually "if you can afford it, buy the G50," due to the greater range, etc. I have the rack version of the G50. I'd have no qualms about getting the G30 if I were on a budget, and I doubt that I'd recommend a Samson in the same price range over the G30.

Bluetooth systems have generally shorter range (the Bluetooth 4 notwithstanding), so I'm not sure what you're seeing there that's of benefit. It might work well enough as a home system, but I'm not sure I'd trust it beyond that.

Certainly for home use there's no reason not to go with the G30, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it professionally. It's just that I like the G50 better.

I might just have to go with one and see! I was thinking the bluetooth for the direct pairing, since my home wifi's running on 2.4 gigahertz and is a little stretched as it is, but I'll just have to do a bit more research, I guess.
Last edited by staceap at Jun 16, 2014,
Quote by CodeMonk
uhm...
You can often get away with cheaping out on a lot of guitar related hardware, but wireless is not one of them.

Eh, shows you how much I know about wireless hardware!
Quote by staceap
Eh, shows you how much I know about wireless hardware!

No I completely agree, cheap wireless systems suck. The Line 6 is a decent unit for the price.

The old Samson Guitar bug was decent for it's day, but IMO falls pretty short of the G30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
G30 is good. G50 is better if only for the metal wireless pack. Range isn't an issue. They both go far enough where you will start hearing a delay from what your fingers do and what you hear from your amp. That's far enough. I've been using a G50 for about 3 years with absolutely 0 issues. Fresh batteries last 9 hours