Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

I recently purchased some Dunlop guitar cleaner/polish and a Fender Factory microfiber rag (both recommend by the luthier who set up my guitar) and cleaned it for the first time.

I followed the instructions: 1-2 sprays, wipe with that side, then wipe with the dry side. But while polishing the neck, the cloth kept snagging. Each time, it pulled out little splinter-sized pieces of wood, leaving behind tiny pieces of the cloth that I can't even get out.

My favorite thing about this guitar (aside from the sound) was the fact that the neck was flawlessly smooth. Now there are these little rough spots along it. Suffice it to say, I am pretty upset. Is there anything I can do? Would it even be worth it to take it to a luthier and attempt to have it smoothed out back to it's original condition?
holy *%#@&@@!!!

cloths, regardless of who makes them, are very soft - too soft to pull out pieces of wood unless you're using them with WAY too much force or there was sand or something sharp on the cloth that you didn't remove before polishing. wiping should be done softly - i can't imagine using enough force to damage a guitar neck. and always, ALWAYS check the cloth before using it as anything on the cloth can scratch the guitar.

have you showed the damage to your luthier?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I definitely wasn't polishing with any sort of force. I'm fairly certain there was nothing on the cloth either...it was brand new.

I haven't shown a luthier yet; this just happened last night. I'll definitely be taking it in if there's a chance it can be fixed, though.

Here's the best picture I could get:

That's the worst of the damage, with the piece of cloth left inside at the bottom. There are several spots like this now along the neck (another smaller example is above it to the left).
I would venture to guess that it fell over or something. simple physics dictates that the softer cloth could not do that damage to the much harder, more dense wood. it's very doubtful that the polishing compound used softened up the neck's finish, then softened the wood to be more pliable than the cloth and then hardened back up after cleaning.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Yeah, what stepchild said... ^^^

Anybody 'else' got access to your room/guitar? Maybe a family member or a bud (if you've a roomie) is messing or has messed with your guitar. Did some damage and put it back without saying a word to you about it (naturally.) This just does 'not' compute. Sad for you though...i'd be PO'd like a big mother over that!
that is an interesting looking neck by the way. what guitar is it ?
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Nah, no one's messed with it. It was perfect for 16 months before the moment that I touched it with the cloth.

It's a Martin DCPA5K, which evidently comes with a neck that has no finish. The consensus from others I've spoke with seems to be that this was the root of the problem. I guess not having a finish can potentially leave it susceptible to things like this.
it wasn't the cloth or the polish. If you would have wiped it with a tissue and no polish, same thing would have happened
It looks to me like it has a small crack. It was probably already there, just too small to be noticeable to your eye. I see that all the time at work, tiny cracks that are difficult to see, if not impossible, under normal lighting and circumstances.

Looking at the specs, it's a Brown Stratabond neck. Stratabond is a laminant wood. That's what gives it it's interesting look. I wouldn't know how it sounds though, when I go to the GC and play guitars, if I grab a Martin, it's usually a higher end one. May never be able to afford one, so may as well play one while I can.