Inspired by a discussion in the black metal thread the other day, I'd put together a mix of Black Metal from the North of England. Some will be known, others are a bit more obscure not even being listed on metal archives (how kvlt am I right?).

It's a bit of a long one and I apologise for that, and kept it down to the minimum 8 tracks, but I felt in order to show the bands best (or in some cases only) work it was necessary to have a long run time.

Upcoming Schedule
23/6/2014 - KytokENesis
30/6/2014 - Emenius Sleepus
7/7/2014 - kirkisking
14/7/2014 - Fukk
21/7/2014 - AnnihiSSlater
slater I'm gonna add you on last.fm (anyone else feel free to add me too). Gonna listen to the radio in a bit. Haven't been paying attention to most black metal scenes for a while. I'll let you know what I think
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Desolate Winds and Norðrodor I really liked. The atmosphere was especially bleak and sounded really genuine. Didn't care much for the Somne song, wasn't really digging the main melody/riff, sounded like it didn't know what it was trying to go for. Winterfylleth was great. Cold, grim and heavy. I loved the vocals (some of the angriest black metal vocals I've heard in a while) and the guitar riff harmonization (and this was a bonus track? lol). Got pretty epic in the second half too, though I still can never get used to clean vocals coming out of nowhere. Still blended pretty well though. Téonhete was pretty straightforward black metal. Still really good though, and I can't for the life of me find some of these guys on metal-archives. Loving the riffing in the Wodensthrone song, and the tortured-esque vocals. The leads really add a nice atmosphere to the song. The acoustic guitar also worked really well. Small but nice touch, and I'm a fan of the "less is more" attitude. On Arcane North, aww yeah, those vocals. Those are the high pitched, screechy witch-like vocals I've come to know and love when it comes to my black metal. Love it. The pacing is on par. What instrument is playing that melody at about halfway through the song? Aloeswood is FAST. The buildup is intense during the second half. Props to these guys. Y'all got some grim fucking bands up north.

Solid playlist! Go spurs rofl im durnk
My Last.FM page. Add me!

Quote by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous

PSN name: sixty5days
Cheers for putting the effort in with your response.

The Winterfylleth track was a bonus track because it was a re-recording of a track from the the previous album, but with the added coda at the end with the clean vocals. It's one of the few tracks that I'm glad has been re-recorded.

Téonhete and Norðrodor, don't feature on metal archives, presumably because they don't have physical releases, which surprisingly in this day and age is still a criteria for acceptance.
Norðrodor is basically Æðelwulfing from Desolate Winds doing everything, and Téonhete is Hrycgnorðan, who is currently the bass player for Desolate Winds (though not on the track on this mix), and another chap who goes by the name of Thor Rúnar Hákonarson.

As for Arcane North I'm pretty sure it's all synthesized stuff in that middle section, cello, brass, some light floaty pad. But the melody sounds like Synth Brass, not sure I'd be able to tell specifically which instrument though.
Listened to five out of the eight tracks so far. I'll finish it sometime today. The only group that I've even heard of so far are Winterfylleth, so you're definitely racking in those obscurity points. Desolate Winds and Somne so far are my favs. I'll report back later.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

For me, the Wodensthrone track was the one that resonated the most, with a triumphant, uprising feel to the music, riffs that worked well together and a lot of energy. Norðrodor and Somne were the other highlights - the lead towards the end in the former's track was a really nice surprise, providing the resolve that the rest of the track set up through its misty riffs in the beginning. Somne's melody was almost more dream pop than metal for me, so I'd be hard-pressed to assess it as a metal track, - and I can also agree with some of the flaws that Mike's pointed out in its direction, - but I liked the main melody more than he did, and the second half worked well reasonably well as a soundscape reflection on the main part.

The other tracks didn't leave as much of an impression for me, - some were more enjoyable than others (Desolate Winds, for instance), but a lot of the others washed over me, - I think a lot of bands already did something very similar, and by exploring the relatively small niche that atmospheric bm of this type found itself in, they are limiting their options and potential. They set up a good groundwork for things to come, but I can't help but need more from it - stronger riffs, greater variation in the songwriting and drum patterns, and melodies that play off the main theme to expand and elaborate on them further. The musicians clearly have talent, so I hope they push themselves creatively with their future work.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Listening now, fella.

EDIT: I lied, got caught up in a world I wasn't ready to face. I'll listen to it tomorrow.
Last edited by severed-metal at Jun 24, 2014,
Having already been through my DSBM phase, I didn't take much away from this I hadn't already heard. It was good for being atmospheric/DSBM/whatever you wanna call it. Notable tracks were Beyond... and Defending the Realm, and the Wodensthrone one.

Although I figured Wodensthrone would be on this mix and I'm not surprised they're one of the best on here. Arcane North reminded me a lot of Burzum, but was so long. This just seemed long. Maybe my attention span is going and was burned out with hours of listening to Walknut and Drudkh, or Fen.

I didn't mind Aloeswood, but they sound a bit Obsequaie-y, but actually I might have liked winter more than Defending the Realm, there's that cool part where heavy synth and they're pounding out riffs, I couldn't put a time on it, but I liked it a lot. I can safely say I don't think the north of England is for me, musically. But it's a cool theme and well put together. Kind of neat all of these albumswere put out within the last few years and good to see a scene rising and finally getting its unique sound even though I'm not the biggest fan of it.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR

Upcoming Schedule
23/6/2014 - KytokENesis
30/6/2014 - Emenius Sleepus
7/7/2014 - kirkisking
14/7/2014 - Fukk
21/7/2014 - AnnihiSSlater

What is this?

Also Desolate Winds. Does exactly what you expect but still so good.
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
What is this?

Also Desolate Winds. Does exactly what you expect but still so good.

It's a weekly radio. Every monday someone posts a mix that they have uploaded to 8tracks.com. Anyone can sign up.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Uhm, I gotta ask - I listened to the playlist once, absolutely loved every track, but now want to play them again. Why is the site not letting me? Very clunky navigation, and no track times.

*edit* Never mind. JDownloader worked.
Last edited by DaFjory at Jul 14, 2014,