Lately when I have been jamming with my friends I have been having some sound issues with my Valveking 112. We play really loud and although I thought this amp would be powerful enough it doesn't seem to be. There is a lot of background noise and hissing and it doesn't cut through. So I guess I am wondering if maybe I need an amp with two speakers or a smaller stack. I was considering modding this amp and hopefully that would help but I don't want to waste the money if I should be saving up for something else.
Thanks
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Hope that you and your friends are wearing ear plugs.

Suggest a full stack if it's not loud enough to practice with; you can stand right in front of that and the eight speakers combine to form a very directional loud space, ideal for playing in feedback.
Boost your mids, use an overdrive, buy a noise gate and tilt the amp up towards your ears, rather than straight on the ground.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Tell us more of your problem.

What stuff do you play, what are your settings on the amp, where do you practice... ?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Is there a drummer involved? Cause you really only need to turn it up loud enough to mix well with drums. Volume wars are very common, one guy can't quite hear himself so he nudges up the volume, causing the other guys to turn up their volume. Soon everyone has the same problem...hearing loss. I use 15-20w 1x12 and never have trouble as long as I'm not playing with a gung ho volume warrior with a 4x12 and a 100w tube head. I learned this the frustrating way as a singer. Often times, instead of you turning up, others should turn down.

Not saying this is whats going on with your case, but it could be so just throwing it out there.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
point the amp at your ears.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Yeah, get it off the ground, preferably with an angled amp stand. The noise issue can probably be reduced a lot if you stick decent tubes in the preamp instead of the crap they come with.
The speaker is a piece of shit too, replace that as well. Maybe with a WGS Vet 30 if you want to save a buck.
It's not that it has a single speaker - ever heard a Mesa Mark combo? It's not that it has one speaker - it's that it has one shit speaker.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Put your amp on a stand and get a speaker that will cut through. For "hear me everyone" purposes I always recommend the Vintage 30. You'll probably be asked to turn down with 50 watts going through a proper speaker.
Last edited by cheesefries at Jun 16, 2014,
Good suggestions. Yes, we have a drummer and I would consider him a loud drummer. We wear ear muffs and we can still hear everything and its loud. As mentioned I think that getting a new speaker could be a good move as this one is pretty much junk.
Thanks
Raconteurs Fan Guy
I can overpower a 2000 watt pa with two 15's and one 18'' sub pretty easily with my VK112. The stock tubes and speaker are pretty terrible, retube and put a better speaker in it, dummy jack and cable patch and for God sakes use the texture control, and it'll easily cut through the mix.
^ just out of curiosity, what amp and what speakers are you thinking about there?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The amplifier and the speakers the PA system was composed of.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola